“Small Restaurant, very good food.”

D'Amelio's Off the Boat Italian & Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: East Boston / Logan Airport
New York
“Small Restaurant, very good food.”
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I'm from NYC but visit Boston quite often and looking to try a new Italian restaurant other than the North End. I read the reviews on line and decided to give it a shot. I knew the tunnel was closed so my friend and I decided to take the train there. It's only a 5 minute train ride from the hotel and then about a 10 minute walk. Thank God we went for lunch and not at night for dinner because the area is a little on the seedy side, at least I thought so, and the streets are quite dirty that we had to walk down. We entered and were greeted very warmly. We both shared the calamari with hot peppers appetizer and it was very good. I had Fusilli Angelo which had shrimp, scallops, lobster, broccoli rabe with garlic and homemade fusilli. It was delicious. My friend had Fusilli Marchi which is a similar dish but with crab meat. I recommend this place but wouldn't take public transportation at night where you would have to walk in the dark.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank LisaNewYork

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Choice!”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Was in East Boston to drop off a friend at the airport, it was early evening not to sit in traffic we decided to have dinner. D’amelio’s Off the Boat popped up, based on its good reviews we gave it a shot. It was a Tuesday night at 5 pm when we walked in we were the only customers but by 6 pm the place filled up. Service was friendly and attentive. I started with a cesear salad, it was one of the best ones I have had; I asked the waitress if they made their own dressing which they did. My friend had the seafood meatballs LOL no meat made with seafood, I tried some can taste the shrimp and calamari in them and the red sauce was just right. For dinner I ordered the pan seared sea bass with a vermouth sauce over brown rice and my friend ordered the grilled misto it had shrimp, calamari, scallop, lobster tail and calamari over a salad. We both were very happy with our choices. Of course we had to try dessert since everything we got was perfect so we shared a lemoncello cake it was a perfect way to end our dinner

1 Thank Christina P
Boston, Massachusetts
“More than just seafood”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Went with my husband for the first time last night. OMG had the fried calamari which was cooked just right with hot cherry peppers. I ordered the seafood Alexia which had the homemade fusilli with seafood in a white wine cream sauce it was perfect. My husband orderd the Veal chop which was the dinner special stuffed with cheese with a marsal fig sauce and bourbon sweet mashed potoates the tast, which I tried and boy that was just as good. We were too full for dessert. Cant wait to go back

1 Thank ABillyO
Southport, North Carolina
“It's Italian but it's all seafood.”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

It wasn't easy getting to this restaurant since there is a tunnel closed in Boston. So our taxi had to take us the long way. $76 later we arrived but the food was outstanding.

1 Thank ETJ3822
Salem, Massachusetts
“Sadly Disappointed”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My husband and I recently visited D’Amelio’s to “try it out” before bringing guests here. I’m glad we did. The service is warm, friendly, and very competent, but the food was sadly disappointing.

This small restaurant in downtown East Boston seems like the kind of neighborhood place that locals often drop in on. When we got there at 6 pm, the restaurant was empty, but it filled up over the next 90 minutes – and this was on a weeknight.

The bread, standard Market Basket Italian loaf, is acceptable for a small neighborhood restaurant, but would have been better served warm. The clam chowder was good: piping hot, creamy, a little grainy, a little shy on clams, but with good chunks of potatoes. The baked scallops and their crumb topping were soggy. The accompanying rice pilaf, swimming in sauce, pretty likely came from a Near East package. In the Zuppa Vincenzo, a seafood pasta dish, the white wine sauce was fine and the linguine properly cooked al dente. The seafood, however—with calamari predominant—was overcooked and rubbery. I would have liked to see a better balance of shrimp, scallops, haddock, and clams in the dish, properly cooked, of course.

This is a charming neighborhood place, and we really wanted to like it. I’m wondering if freezer cleanout might have been involved in the preparation of these dishes. I only say that because we learned that the restaurant was about to close for a 10-day winter vacation, which suggests to me that they wanted to clean out some frozen inventory. This family-run place seems otherwise like it should be so much better. If the restaurant were closer to where we live, we’d give it another shot. But since it’s 40 minutes away, I doubt we will.

3 Thank LPLimon