“2nd Floor seating would be optimal, avg sound quality, roudy floor”

House of Blues Boston
Ranked #11 of 158 Nightlife in Boston
Manchester, New Hampshire
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“2nd Floor seating would be optimal, avg sound quality, roudy floor”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have seen the same band perform at several different venues, so I feel I can provide a good review of HOB as compared to other venues of varying sizes. Everyone at the venue was friendly, including security on the way in and the bartenders. The wait for drinks at the bar (there are two bars downstairs) was short and our bartender, Jen, even remembered what people were drinking. She proactively offered to start a tab for us. The ladies room was clean and there were multiple stalls. At no time did I encounter a wait.

It was definitely the loudest show I’ve been to in a very long time, and I feel possibly the volume was to make up for the relatively poor acoustics. We had floor tickets, and even in the middle of the floor, it actually seemed a little muffled. There are two other levels and possibly the lack of solid surface space dampened the overall sound quality.

We had a great time overall, but the biggest bummer of the night was the lack of security response to fights and moshing. The next time we go to see a show here, we will definitely upgrade to the seating on one of the other floors. It just wasn’t worth it to worry about getting hurt by the people around us.

Visited March 2013

Crawley, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Little Venue -book foundation room access! ”
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Great way to go to a gig! We were faced with a queue of about 200 people but luckily had booked the Foundation Room (only 20 bucks each) so straight in to a great lounge offering ample seating, good food and drinks and very friendly staff! Private door to concert hall, with access to foundation room bar and facilities. Spot on House of Blues! We had booked the third floor seating and can see why there are some negative reviews about second floor balcony as this gets very crowded. Staff did great job of stopping standing patrons from 'straying' into the seating area.

3 Thank Mark C
Easthampton, Massachusetts
“Good concert venue”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I don't think I would go to a concert there unless I had seats....most people there were standing room only.

There was another concert/show an hour after mine ended so the staff was rushing people out there door when people were trying to buy t-shirts, albums, etc.

Also, getting a drink was hard - need more bartenders. I wanted to eat at the restaurant there but ran out of time.

Visited March 2013
Burlington, Vermont
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Never seen anything like it”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Boston to see a band play at the House of Blues. I was blown away! A multi-level venue had amazing viewing from almost every angle. We were on the main floor, so I cannot speak for the other levels, or the seated area, but where we were was great. There were several areas that had pillars, but each area had like 40 in high definition TVs that projected what was going on. I had never been so close to a stage before, usually when i go to shows there are huge barriers that push the crowd back like 10 feet, so that was cool. There were several bars to order drinks, which was nice. I had no trouble getting to the bar and getting service. Also, the restrooms, the women's in particular was amazing. There were so many stalls, and hand washing areas that reminded me of grade school with the big basins and stepping on the bar to make the water flow. The best thing however, was the mirrors were separate. So the girls that wanted to check themselves out were not blocking the sinks. I used to live in a big city where we have dive bars / venues, or huge arenas. I have never experienced a venue of this caliber and I was thoroughly impressed! The only thing that was irritating was the way in which they checked everyone in. We arrived an hour late as we were not interested in seeing the opening band, but there was still a huge line outside the venue. I don’t know if they were staggering entry so that the people frisking everyone wouldn’t get overwhelmed, but it took forever. We sat outside for 45 minutes waiting to enter the venue and the doors had been open for almost 2 hours! But that was all forgotten when the show started.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank amabech
Washington DC, District of Columbia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Restaurant VS Concert Venue”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went to the House of Blues Boston, Boston MA last Friday night. We went to see Flogging Molly and Skinny Lister perform there (1 Feb). Dave Hause also performed and he was surprisingly good. We got there early so we could eat in the restaurant first. The food was so so. I had the special (Which was chicken pot pie stew). It was served luke warm and they charged me a premium for it. The service was less than spectacular, for a concert night they only had one waitress on duty. My food arrived before my drinks...I had to ask the bus boy to track them down. I mean come on there is a concert and only one waitress on duty??? The benefit to eating there first is if you spend more than $15 per person you can enter the concert directly from the restaurant and skip the line, which was totally awesome! They have a coat check for $5 which is great because it was super cold out. I was in GA. Plenty of room for everyone with access to two bars. The acoustics are amazing. The bands sounded so good. There is also a convenient parking garage and parking on the street. So overall I'm giving it an 4 star review, it would have been five if it weren't for the mediocre food and poor staffing in the restaurant. Overall had a great time there, everyone was friendly, the bands were fantastic and Skinny Lister totally stole the show.

Visited February 2013