“Nice staff, mediocre food”

The Smoke Shop BBQ - Seaport
Order Online
Ranked #389 of 3,555 Restaurants in Boston
Neighborhood: Seaport District / South Boston Waterfront
Description: The Smoke Shop is a chef-owned passion project and culmination of over two decades of practice, planning and competition-style barbecue from World Champion Pitmaster and Author, Chef Andy Husbands. The menu showcases slow-cooked, 1st place Brisket & Ribs, Burnt Ends, Texas Hot Links and more. Sides include everything from Sweet and Spicy Coleslaw and Collard Greens to The Cornbread with Honey Sea-Salt Butter. The Smoke Shop also boasts a 200+ American Whiskey selection and features elevated takes on classic cocktails. Our craft beer list is a compilation of your favorite local breweries mixed in with some of New England's hidden gems. Combine all that with family-style hospitality and The Smoke Shop will transport you to your favorite memories of barbecues gone before.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went in a group of 7 and I will say they dealt with that great. Almost got everyone's order right. We got there at 7 and they were already out of pulled pork, which is my favorite. I ordered the catfish, which I usually like, but it was super greasy and fried a lot more like fish and chips than catfish. It was still decent. The corn bread was over cooked. The collards were sour, even though they were supposed to have molasses. Other people seemed happy with their orders, so maybe I just ordered poorly. Didn't have coke or pepsi, just off brand soda, so I ordered iced tea, which was really bitter like it had steeped too long. Staff was really nice though. I got there really early because I wasn't sure how long it would take me to get there and he sat me without everyone else and was really nice about it.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (73)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stumbled upon this BBQ restaurant near the Boston waterfront. Low key (i.e. not really fancy) but excellent food. I had the pork belly burnt ends platter with cornbread and coleslaw. Enjoyed all of it, although wished the portions were a little larger. Srvie was excellent.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed November 26, 2019 via mobile

The portions are small, but pricey. The food is okay, but it tastes and is presented like it was prepared at a commissary miles away, then reheated at the premises. There are better options in the Boston area for delicious barbecue.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed November 5, 2019

We had lunch. The buns were very good and fresh, the meets were excellent (we had pork and beef) and the sides were very good too. All and all - a lovely lunch at a very reasonable price

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed November 1, 2019 via mobile

This is a lively bar and restaurant, the kids enjoyed some ribs while my wife and I shared a selection of dishes with a few sides. Food was good and our waiter was very helpful in explaining the less obvious options to a non US native. Everything came at a reasonable price and although the volume of the place was quite high, it was a Friday evening so that's how it should be.
It was the service that set this place apart for me, our waiter made excellent food and drink suggestions, they have an extensive array of whisky and bourbon, and when I enquired after something I might like that I wouldn't have had before he went and got someone who had a wider knowledge of what they had on offer. Following a brief conversation I ended up with a bourbon so good I am now looking to find where I can acquire a bottle.
Whenever we asked the staff were ready to help, we got to eat good tasty stuff we don't get at home and I got some great Bourbon, on second thoughts can I make it a 10?

Date of visit: November 2019