“Nice Place to Stay”
Review of Constitution Inn

Constitution Inn
Ranked #81 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed August 21, 2008

This was a nice place to stay. It was kinda out of the way and the only place to eat within walking distance was pricey and not a very good selection. The hot water heater went out so we had to take cold showers, but they discounted our room so it was nice. You can catch the ole time trolley just a short walk away by the USS Constitution ans ride it into Boston.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Timbo302
There are newer reviews for Constitution Inn

Reviewed August 5, 2008

We were looking for a convenient place to stay in downtown Boston that was reasonably priced. Since my hubby is in the military, we got to stay here for $99 a night. Had we paid full price, I would have been much more upset, but for the cost, and the time we were actually in the room, it wasn't bad.

That being said, the hotel is in a pretty deserted neighborhood. I would not have wanted to be walking around at night down here. It's in a former military dominated area, and there are/were a lot of warehouses, offices, etc. and not a lot of places open after hours. It's pretty empty in the evening, and I didn't really feel safe outside.

The room was pretty basic. One wall was painted cinderblock. The beds were okay comfortable, but the spreads had had a few too many washings, and were old and faded. The carpet looked vacuumed, but I wondered when it was cleaned last and just had to put the thought out of my head when I walked on it. The room was pretty much clean, but it was just tired.

We had two full-sized beds, a big closet, three drawers in the bottom of the tv wardrobe, and a table and two chairs. There was also a fridge and microwave.

One poster mentioned the thin walls. I will second that! Thankfully, my three kids (12, 9, and 6) were asleep when the folks next door started getting busy. I could hear the bed squeaking for quite awhile before it was quiet. I thought about banging on the wall, but figured that would just postpone the inevitable. There were also some very noisy folks across the hall who had two rooms. Unfortunately, the rooms didn't connect, and they kept visiting back and forth until after midnight. The doors in the hotel close very loudly, and they'd shut their doors and then bang on their friend's door. I finally called the front desk before they got quiet.

The hotel has a lot of young military people staying there who are on temporary duty at the Charlestown Navy Yard. Many of them are still in "party" mode, and having been young and military, I tried to give them a break. But they were loud.

There is a YMCA that you can use when you stay here. The kids were excited to go swimming the first night of our stay. The guy in charge of the pool was, shall we say, "strict" about his pool. At 7 p.m. the pool still had lane lines up, and he allowed the kids to swim in about 1/3 of one lane line and got on them if they went past the chair. At about 8, he got out his CD player, and stretched the electric cord across the walkway (safety???), and put in a Roger Whittaker CD and turned it up so loudly, we had to shout to communicate. Then he played Broadway show tunes and Johnny Cash CDs. I got the feeling he was trying to get us out of the pool and was playing whatever he could to make us leave. We gave in about 8:30 and didn't go back for the rest of our stay.

One of the good things about this place was that it was really close to the water taxi. It picked us up at the Charlestown Wharf and dropped us off at Long Wharf. It was a short ride, and only cost about $1.70 each way. There was also a free shuttle a couple of blocks away that took us to North Station so we could take the T wherever else we wanted to go.

I will say that the front desk people weren't very friendly or helpful. I asked for help on how to get from the hotel to Lexington, and they gave me a map. I asked for more details, and they said I would have to go online because they couldn't help me. I would think that would be something a front desk person at a hotel would just know. Surely I'm not the first person to ask how to use the public transportation in Boston.

Parking was another bonus. We got to park in the nearby garage for $6 a day. We could have parked on the street for free but were warned about possible vandalism to our cars overnight. Again, it was pretty deserted where I parked, so I was uncomfortable walking the three blocks back to the hotel, but I am here to write about it, so it worked out okay. I'd take a friend next time, though.

All in all, we weren't in the room so much that it was a huge problem for what we paid. Would I stay here again? Probably not, but who knows? Maybe I'll be in the mood for some Gershwin one of these days!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank kyderbymom
Reviewed July 26, 2008

I spent 5 nights at the Consitution Inn the first week in July and I have to say it was... even though lacking a few frills associated with the more posh accomodations to be had...still an enjoyable stay.

A hotel in a navy yard might conjure up visions of noise, dirt, welding torches, riveters, etc...relax ..that's history.

What I found were well preserved brick historic navy buildings and warehouses and such that are being transformed into condos and business offices. The neighborhood is quiet (very quiet compared to staying in downtown Boston)with light traffic. The front of the hotel is on a pedestrian street.

With the waterfront closeby there are shoreline jogging trails and parks amid high rise condos and townhouses and marinas in a pleasant and safe upscale neighborhood of Charlestown.

I confess that my impressions of this hotel are of a favorable bent because I am a history buff and because of this and the hotels location (the USS Constitution is moored just down the street) I probably overlooked one or two things that might raise one of those proverbial red flags to guests expecting more.

This is a navy hotel and has a nautical feel to it with foot square brass plates with black engraved room numbers that looked like they were salvaged from the fleet. The staff was friendly and helpful. The lobby is small and unassuming. Next door is a YMCA. Guests get free access to the pool and excersize equipment.

No restaurant. However there are a couple of eateries like the Tavern On The Water a stones throw away.

.It was here I enjoyed a bowl of "chowdah", and a pint of Sam Adams while watching Old Ironsides fire a 21 gun salute on her annual Boston harbor cruise on the 4th. On the nation's birthday for a history guy like me it doesn't get much better.

There is a bistro nearby, a Finegal A Bagel, and Store 24 (like a 7-11) and a B of A .

A bit farther away (a 15 minute walk to the Bunker Hill Monument and the nearby Warren Tavern frequented by Paul Revere.)

There is a 10 minute water shuttle...from the navy yard to downtown Boston a short walk from the hotel for a $1.85 each way.

Next to the hotel is a Mass General Hospital with free bus transportation that runs hourly shuttles to and from the downtown Mass Gen Hospital ..stopping on its way at the North Subway station. Did I say it was a free shuttle? Oh yeah..baby.Not necessary to be brandishing a stethescope around your neck to ride...anyone can climb aboard. . One heck of a deal.

Even if it didn't have wifi in the room, or what you'd call state of the art bathroom sinks....the bed was very comfortable, the air conditining, microwave, fridge, shower, head all worked...it was clean and comfortable...and unlike the cookie cutter lodging chains the place had a certain personality and character to it.

Will I return to Boston someday. Maybe.
Would I stay again at The Consitution Inn. Definately.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank yamhill
Reviewed July 18, 2008

As you know, i have a family of 5. One child and 4 adults. They did pretty well supplying us with the beds. We had 2 double beds and an extra 1 person bed. BUT in the bathroom there are only 3 towels. So i call the desk to bring some towels up, but their service is SO bad that you have to get them yourself. We also had a horrible view of the construction of dead buildings. And there is no place to park in front of the hotel except at a garage which is a few blocks away. When i asked how to get to the garage, they gave us directions but one of them at the end said to look for the MGH sign outside but we couldnt find it BECAUSE IT WAS INSIDE THE GARAGE(they don't really give great directions). That was after we went to ask them a second time for directions. But everything else was within reach, all the places we have been planning to go to weren't far away.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank sh10505
Reviewed July 10, 2008

I had an absolutely fantastic experience staying at the Constitution Inn. I cant say enough good things about the staff there. When I thought I lost my backpack, all of the staff immediately got on the phones contacting cab companies to see if it was left there. Even a non-employee there was trying to help. Rita and the rest of the staff were extremely polite, very helpful, and had great senses of humor!!!

It is located in the Navy Yard in Charlestown. Lots of historic stuff to see within walking distance. Close by is Tavern on the Water, where you can enjoy drinks and good food with a great view of the harbor. You can also grab breakfast at Finagle a Bagel, which is about a five minute walk from the hotel. A few blocks away you can jump on a trolley tour that takes you all around Boston. Also nearby is a ferry that will take you to Long Wharf in Boston for a mere $1.80. Located on Long Wharf is the New England Aquarium if you're interested....

Anyway, I would definitely stay there again, without hesitation. I cant wait to get back to Boston....

Reviewed June 13, 2008

I was visiting Boston for the first time because I was interested in attending Emerson College. However, my parents and I found (like with all cities) that all of the hotels in Boston were very expensive. We actually found Constitution Inn by using this website. The price was far cheaper and the reviews were good.

I was very pleased with my experience there. For staying at the hotel, we got free parking. There were a few places to eat nearby (Finagle A Bagle, etc.) Traveling to the college was a breeze courtesy of the ferry and the shuttle bus was a nice accomodation. The people were very helpful and we all appreciated the view on the water, but most importantly, the quiet! Constitution Inn, like many others have said, is very much a hidden gem and I highly recommend it. No, it is not luxurious, but it is comfortable, a reasonable price, and very quiet.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank gabriellet
Reviewed April 29, 2008

Had read the good reviews and booked the Constitution Inn for a one night stay.
The location was fine. We visited the Museum and the ship (both worth a visit) and really enjoyed taking the shuttle to downtown Boston (coming back with the last shuttle at 8pm with Boston lights in the background was a real hit - amazing value for 1.70$!)
We also had a nice dinner at the nearby bistro (with a discount for guest of the Constitution Inn).

The room was decent enough for the price but good sleep was another story. We got a room with doors communicating to neighbours on each side. I can't really say whether it was because of the doors or paper-thin walls but we felt like if we were sleeping in a dorm - hearing our neighbours as if they were in our room. A couple on one side coughed and snored all night, on the other side a family with young children watched TV (after 11pm the staff did asked them to turn it down), talked so we could follow every bit of the conversation. We had a terrible night and even if the price is reasonable it is not worth it if you can't sleep.
If you sleep lightly I advise you to check with desk if all rooms have communicating doors to neighbours.

The staff was not overfriendly but we did get the information we needed.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family