“Umm, if you're gonna stay here, I hope you brought low expectations with you”
Review of Constitution Inn

Constitution Inn
Ranked #82 of 85 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This review is a bit belated - I stayed here for 4 nights in May 2013 for a business trip in the Charlestown Navy Yard area. There aren't a whole lot of hotels in the vicinity to choose from, so it was either this hotel, which is directly across the street for where I had to be for work, or the Residence Inn down the road for almost $400/night. I chose it for proximity.
The area is not bad - there was a cafe/bakery right across the street, a deli or two within two blocks. The USS Constitution and the Navy Yard is a short walk away. I had a lovely dinner at the Navy Yard Bistro on 1st Avenue. Its a 30 minute walk to Boston - not a short walk at all but still walkable.
Overall, the front desk staff were friendly and helpful, both at check-in and check out. As one of the reviewers pointed out already, I did receive incorrect parking validation information from the front desk. The amenities were average - I had a double room with 2 queen beds, the room was a decent size, and I imagine there's enough room for 2 people to move around. There was a mini fridge and microwave in the room. I didn't go to the gym or the pool so I can't comment on it.
For me, there were more downsides than up for this hotel. There were only 2 accessible outlets in the room, and none of them was next to the bed, and I had to move the table to get to one of them, so plugging in more than 2 devices was a challenge. The outlets were also wiggly and seemed like it would come out of the wall. The wall mounted sink was small: think smaller than 1'x2', no counter space. Every night, people hung out, talked and laughed on the steps of the front entrance late at night, so staying asleep was difficult was well.
I guess I could deal with small sinks and lack of outlets and what not, and I'm not looking for luxury when traveling for work. But, for me, the deal breaker is cleanliness. Hair remained on the floor after housekeeping's been through. There were multiple mystery stains on the walls, everywhere, both in the room and in the bathroom. They weren't just scuff marks. As I didn't have any Clorox wipes in my luggage, I wiped the commonly touched surfaces the best I could with Purell, and tried not to touch anything in the room unless absolutely necessary.
In my books, when it comes to hotels, cleanliness trumps everything else - it reflects the quality of overall management of the property. So I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 10, 2013

The Inn was built adjacent to the Charlestown YMCA and so it is just what one would expect. I was traveling on a budget so it was perfect for me as I did not spend much time there anyway. The wi-fi will not work so don't count on that, although if you really need a computer there is one you can use in the lobby free of charge. The staff was very courteous. There is a refrigerator and microwave in every room so that helps, and there are quite a few places to get breakfast items, fruit, and few groceries very close by if you are looking to save a bit of money. This place is average and you are paying an average price so it is definitely equitable to what you pay for.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
ConstitutionInnMgmt, Manager at Constitution Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback in regards to your stay with us at The Constitution Inn. We are a budget friendly hotel for the Boston traveler and appreciate your consideration in staying with us. We do hope you visit us again in the future as we are modernizing our rooms. Thank you for sharing your positive review of our customer service. Your thoughts will be shared with our team.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

My family of four stayed four nights at The Constitution Inn in mid-August, and we had a wonderful stay. We reserved the two room suite, which was perfect for us. I couldn't believe the size of the two rooms, we had an incredible amount of space plus a kitchenette (which we didn't utilize, other than the refrigerator). The beds were very comfortable. Plenty of hot water in the shower. The parking was an incredible deal - $10 a day, and just a very short walk from the hotel (I cannot imagine what people are complaining about. It was extremely convenient). The location is ideal. You are essentially in the city, without paying city prices. A short ferry ride away (which is a lovely trip), or access to a free MGH shuttle bus to North Station. Yes, FREE! And very quick and comfortable. We rode it back to the hotel every night.

You are a just a stone's throw away from the Navy Yard and the USS Constitution. The area is very quaint and full of historic charm. I never felt unsafe, even at night. There are places to get coffee and breakfast in the morning, and a well stocked convenience store across the street.

This is an absolute gem of a hotel. Yes, it is not the Ritz but for the low price you pay for a city hotel (PLUS reasonable parking), it is a palace. All of our needs were met, the staff were friendly and helpful, we were very comfortable, and only a few minutes away from the North End of Boston. I would stay here again, and recommend it to anyone. I am truly baffled by the bad reviews. I cannot understand what people's expectations are?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
ConstitutionInnMgmt, Manager at Constitution Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us at The Constitution Inn. We take great pride in our historic location in the Navy Yard and proximity to downtown Boston. Our reasonable rates make summer travel affordable in Boston. We do hope you consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We booked in here after a trip from Heathrow for 4 nights. The room looked OK, nice hob and oven, microwave and fridge freezer but....no pans, china or cutlery asked for plates and cutlery at reception and were given plastic hmmm. Fridge door had a broken handle and no runners in freezer.
The bedroom has no view just a skylight which was hanging off the window, the wires hanging down were like cheese utters Very Dangerous and uncovered screws about 4 inches long. We used the iron and a screw fell out.
A shame really as room was not too bad. Decoration and carpets clean but bedding not pressed and rather tired.
Mattress to small for bed either the base sticks out at the bottom or the pillows fall down behind headboard.
Bathroom needs attention an attempt has been made to patch walls but it's botched, the sink has no plug and to reach the toilet roll from the loo you have to be a contortionist.
All in all a pleasant stay but it just lacks those touches which make it special. Little things I asked for more coffee was given one extra packet making a total of 2 !
The lift is impossible waited over 10 minutes yesterday and it's very slow Internet can be a problem but I'm told it's being dealt with.

Room Tip: Do not choose 6th floor and not room 604
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea31020
ConstitutionInnMgmt, Manager at Constitution Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Andrea,

Thank for taking the time to review The Constitution Inn. Our Facilities team is addressing the issues you experienced during your stay with us. We will be receiving an updated look to our rooms soon and we would welcome you to stay with us again if you return to Boston.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is an average hotel with a large price tag. It is about a 20 minute walk to the nearest T stop and if you plan on being out past 6pm on Friday through Sunday there are no shuttle buses. The shuttle bus is very inconvenient and the scheduled times are not really accurate. The gym and pool are not open very late so we never got to use them. The view is awful and the parking garage does not take credit cards so be sure to have enough cash. Think I would spend a few bucks more and stay downtown next time, it would definitely be worth it.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel was referred to me by family in the neighborhood, so location for me was PRIME. Excellent location and it was quiet. The staff where approachable and helpful. [There that's the positives]
The painted, institutional cinder block wall in the sitting area was not enough to discourage me, but overall the room was run down and outdated. [example: torn sheers on windows, bathroom door was chipped at the bottom, some rust noticeable, etc].
Two major let-downs; 1) the pull out couch in our "suite" was essentially unusable - it was old and on such a slop, oh and so noisy. 2) the bathroom didn't have a vanity shelf so we had to use the back of the toilet to put our toiletries [a shelf would have been nice at the very least].

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a terrific deal in the heart of Boston if you are / were a member of the Military. Thank you for the discount that allowed me to take my family there over the holiday weekend.

For everyone else, this is still one of the least expensive places to stay in the city of Boston. That being said, Yes, the place is in need of a make over, but it is far from being dilapidated. You may find your self with noisy neighbors, lots of groups stay here because of the price. You may find the internet out for your entire stay like we did. You may find the full size beds a little snug for two people (we did) but if your goal is to visit Boston, you should be too tired when you get back to the room to let these things bother you too much. ( I hope)

Things to be aware of, the choice of near by eateries is slim (4 with in 1/2 mile). The water taxi next to the dry dock ($3 civilians, Mil ID free) is 5 min away and drops you off next to the aquarium downtown, but stops running at dark. There is a free MGH bus 1 block away for trips to North station / North End. (ask at front desk for schedule) You can jump on the Freedom trail 5 minutes walk away near by the Constitution and follow it into Boston.
There is very limited parking at the hotel, but it is available 5 minutes walk away in a garage that gives a 1/2 price discount with a validated parking ticket. They have a large gym and pool, it is a YMCA after all and I see people in there, but have never taken advantage of it, too tired from walking around. We have stayed here several times in the past and We'll be back again.

1  Thank kyrg01