“Constitution Inn - great place and value”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Constitution Inn

Constitution Inn
Ranked #80 of 83 Hotels in Boston
New York City, New York
“Constitution Inn - great place and value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Great value and friendly, helpful staff. My company stays here for extended business stays and making arrangements for long-term lodging is simple and easy. Close to great restaurants and convenient to downtown Boston.

Room Tip: Try for the 6th floor as the rooms have great skylights.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Charles D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Hungarian first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My Dad stayed here for a week in March 2013. It was one of the cheapest hotels we could find in the area, and for the money, the location was fantastic. Perfect for my Dad actually. Situated right in the Charlestown Navy Yard, a stones throw from the USS Constitution, right on the Freedom Trail, and a short walk from Boston's North End. There are also a few decent bars, restaurants and shops in Charlestown and the Navy Yard itself.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming, and helpful, especially when it came to booking taxis for me at all hours of the day and night!

The room itself was basic, but clean and spacious (the bathroom was huge), and included a fridge, microwave and coffee machine (no kettle though!). There were a couple of issues with the room:

1. The view was terrible, overlooking a derelict rope factory and a major highway. I can imagine the view on the other side of the hotel is wonderful though!
2. It was quite noisy at nigh due to the proximity to the aforementioned highway and very noisy air conditioning.

It is also worth mentioning that it is also a YMCA centre. However this did not affect my dad's stay in any way. Actually, we were impressed to find out that the hotel also supports military organisations and other charities by offering them discounts on their rooms.

I gave the Constitution Inn a 4 overall as, although the room wasn't perfect, the location of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff more than made up for it. My dad was there to see Boston- not the inside of a hotel room! I doubt you could find anything better for the money in such a great location.

Room Tip: Get a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the Navy Yard, not the highway at the Back!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CatMcG1982
Gainesville, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Constitution Inn is a great place to stay. I see the other reviews on here that are very negative and I disagree with many of them. This hotel is clean and safe. My room was spacious, had a kitchen area, large TV, microwave, and all of the amenities I needed for my stay. I do wish that a breakfast was provided, but I remedied that by either eating my own food that I brought or strolling over to American Bakers' Café. Also, MGH serves food cafeteria style next door. The staff was incredible. The front desk personnel were SO helpful. One of the managers helped me more than once - she was such a doll and so eager to help me! Thank you for letting me use your office printer ;). The staff had directions to the conference I was attending waiting for me when I arrived. The free MGH shuttle was great and free. I was able to get to North Station easily. I strolled around Charlestown and the Navy Yard. I would stay here again. My trip was about seeing Boston and participating in a conference, not staying in the hotel. Some hotels offer an experience with a billion amenities. But this hotel worked for me and will work for visitors who want to experience this beautiful city. I think some people expect too much. A clean place to lay your head down, wash up, and relax is what this hotel is about...and that's perfect for visiting Boston and enjoying the historic area.

Room Tip: Stayed with a King bed.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

The Constitution Inn is hard to rate. I gave it 3 stars because it is definitely not your ordinary hotel, has few amenities and is dated. But that said, for the money, it is clean, the beds and pillows are comfortable, it provides a mini frig and microwave in some rooms and a full kitchen in others, and is in a safe and interesting area. The Constitution Inn is actually the top 2 floors of a YMCA, with Y residents occupying the bottom floors. As a guest here you may use the Y facilities, but I did not, so cannot speak to that. The rooms were incredibly hot (weather outside in teens) with no heat on, requiring open windows and a fan for comfort. Even then, I had to sleep without covers! The room is old, with concrete brick walls and dated carpeting, but quite sizeable. The bathroom is small, has a miniscule sink and provides no place for toiletries, but is clean and serviceable. Because people can cook in their rooms, we had a late night fire alarm requiring evacuation to the cold and wind for over 30 minutes (someone had burnt something and the alarm went off). The location in the Charlestown Navy Yard is safe and right on the Freedom Trail, but not easily accessible to mass transit, except for the Harbor Water Shuttle to the Boston Waterfront. For a family wanting a cheap place to stay when visiting Boston it might serve well. I stayed here as my daughter had an interview at the MGH Health Professions Program that is located about 2 blocks away, but I will probably not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank havilover
Mertztown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Constitution Inn which is located in the Naval Yard over New Years Eve weekend. We were lucky to park right outside the Inn otherwise we would have had to park in the garage about a block away. Nothing fancy, but clean. Our room was on the 6th floor and there was no view. The room included a kitchen and full fridge in the room. The one drawback was the king size bed which was very uncomfortable and too soft for me. Same for the pillows but that is my personal preferance. We used taxi's to get around the city, since it was very cold to walk to town. The one drawback was the noise we could hear in the hallway as others walked by on our floor and it seemed the door let in the light from the outside hallway. I prefer complete darkness. We didn't really see to many other guests when we stayed there as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ALRuff
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Hotel is in a pleasant harbour area in Charlestown. The area felt safe at all times of day with a late hours small grocery store nearby. The main town is easily accessible either by foot (a 10 minute walk over the bridge), free Partners bus or ferry (approx $3.00). Charlestown is a scenic historic area which includes many points on the Freedom Trail. After exploring Boston we would choose to stay in this area as a base rather than right in the town itself.

Front desk service varied from indifferent to very good, on the whole it was fine. Complimentary internet/printing is provided in addition to the in-room wifi. The elevators were an issue, very slow even for the most patient people.

Free use of YMCA facilities is provided. Both the gym and pool were of an excellent standard.

Room was large and included kitchenette - large fridge, hotplates, oven, microwave, sink, coffee machine. The room also had a table and chairs. Surprisingly NO utensils or crockery are provided. Upon request we learnt a pack of kitchen items was available for a $20 deposit.

Possibly because the building was originally a barracks of some type the windows and curtains were elevated and set back from the room. To access them required climbing onto a ledge approximately 5 feet tall. This could pose a problem for anyone with mobility issues.

Housekeeping standards were inconsistent. Sometimes toiletries were replenished, sometimes not. The room wasn't serviced on one occasion - on raising this fresh towels were made available provided we collected them from reception. On one morning there was no hot water which was probably an isolated case.

We experienced some problems with the handling of consecutive bookings which was not handled very well by the on duty staff at the time. However this was raised to management who addressed it in a satisfactory manner so in the end we left pleased with the handling and resolution of the matter.

Despite a few issues we enjoyed staying here and would do so again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Roodboy
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

it was not a plesure visit this but next time it will be great hotel looking forward to staying there again very convenent to the t and mass gen the only thing is my husband got very confused about the parking garage we were supposed to use the room was good size very comfortly bed that means a lot to me floor 2 has vending machine did not know till i checkout so hopefully it will save people some money

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business