“A great military hotel!”
Review of Constitution Inn

Constitution Inn
Ranked #80 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Saratoga Springs, New York
“A great military hotel!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

While this hotel does not cater only to military members and their families, it certainly does a terrific job of supporting those who do take advantage of the low rates and great location.

We stayed for a weekend in September and were pleasantly surprised to pay a rate of just shy of $100. On a busy Boston weekend, that was a steal. Our room was fine. It could certainly use some updating, but the bed was big and not terribly uncomfortable. Our room came with a small table and two chairs, nightstands, a dresser, and a desk. We additionally had a fridge, oven, stove, microwave, and coffee maker, though there were no pots or pans to use.

I've read in some reviews that there's no A/C. This was not the case for us. In fact, I thought it got too cold at times. The temperature is easily controlled, and the view from the windows, while not spectacular, is private.

The staff at the hotel were extremely nice and helpful. They seemed genuinely interested in making sure our stay was comfortable.

The location is fantastic. It's safe, near some good restaurants and great historical landmarks, and just a ten minute walk from the water ferry (which is free for active duty military members and their families). At night, we found the hotel quiet, which is good for those who, like me, have trouble sleeping.

Another benefit is that it's attached to a YMCA, which means you can use the facilities whenever they're open, including a gym and a pool.

The only negatives about the hotel were that our room was not cleaned the second night (though I did have the do not disturb out until 9:45am), and the elevator can, at times, take a significantly long time to get to your floor. There are stairs, but it's six stories tall. Also, there isn't any parking during the week. You have to use a garage down the street, which is a bit of a walk with suitcases and uniform bags. On the weekends, you can park on the street.

Overall, this was a great stay and we would definitely choose the Constitution Inn for our next Boston visit!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Hungarian first
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The staff at the Inn were incredibly helpful and friendly. Parking is available round the corner for $6 a night (discounted from $18 by a hotel stamp). The room was spotless and the bathroom even cleaner (if that was possible) with two queen size beds which were extremely comfortable. There were kitchen facilities in the room with a full size fridge and freezer, dinnerware etc was available from reception for a $30 deposit. The hotel was a YMCA with all the facilities but certainly not by the UK standards, it is located by the navy yard with loads of local history. Boston itself is not that far to walk with lovely shops and places to eat. Quincy market is a must with loads of varieties of food, (there is a boat taxi available from around the corner from the hotel). Would highly recommend this to anyone wanting a great experience of Boston and Charlestown.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights at the start of September. First impressions were not that great, found the reception staff rude. As we got out of the lift we were greeted by a funny smell and some old mattresses piled up. The room was very basic, did not like the breeze blocked wall-think that could do with plastering and painting. The room had 2 double beds, fridge and microwave, the furniture was also quite old but was fine. However, the beds were so comfy, sheets were clean but very creased and a bit yellowey-could do with new ones! I have to say that the room was spotlessly clean though.
The location was not as good as I thought it would be, the area was lovely and we felt very safe-even at night. But it was a good 30 minute walk from the main sights of Boston.
All in all, if you expect frills and fancy accommodation then don't stay here but if you want a clean, safe place to sleep then definitely go here.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Beloeil, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2012

WoW! what else to say about this place... well located near the Charlestown Harborwalk and his excellent restaurant "Tavern On The Water" (please do yourself a favor, go there, really nice and worth it!) The Constitution Inn is in fact a YMCA with all the facilities (pool, fitness center etc etc) and the surroundings are very safe and quiet... even late at night! On the other side of the street is the "149 eat Street" where you can get a decent breakfast at no exepnse (you pay for what you put in your plate) wich is located inside a Hospital (20 seconds walking from the YMCA). Also, note that the Constitution Inn offers interior parking located at less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel for only 6$ per day!!!! you can also cut across the medical center to get to the Hotel from the inside...

When i got there, they made a mistake when i reserved the room, but Charles, the person who was at the front desk that day offered us a free upgrade to a suite room with full kitchen... How nice and sweet!!!(for the same price, and air conditionner is working fine and quiet!!) so i cannot tell how a "normal room" look like, but the suite we got was extremely well and clean ( except for the linens in the sofa bed, but they changed them right away) Very quitet, well insonorised, 2 flat TV with cable, very confortable beds,, what can we ask more?? Oh yes, did i mention that there was also a wine fridge in addition to the kitchen and all the rest?? wow.. i will definitively will go back there... less than 5 minutes wlk to the nice harbour and the ferry to go to boston or less than 3 minutes walk to the end of the freedom trail ( we did it in reverse and took the ferry back to the hotel and of course, stopped by tavern on the Water to eat..) i really loved it! i would recommand this place to anyone who wants to go to Boston but doesn't want to pay high price for a hotel in the center of Boston and is ready to take a ferry to the city...

A lot of students and workers seems to park thier cars around the harbour and then take the ferry to Boston... wich makes the surrounding of the hotel nice, quiet and safe... Oh yes, there is also a basketball court inside the building in addition to the pool, fitness center and all the rest...

The staff ( especially Charles) was very king, polite and helpful with all our questions and needs... wow.. a real hidden gem for Boston travellers!

Room Tip: if you're lucky, pick up the suite!!! (room 432 we got), well located, calm and quiet. will go b...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jebelis
Longboat Key, Florida
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We drove through the streets of historic Charlestown and were very surprised to find that the Constitution Inn was the top floors of the YMCA. Big pool, lots of equipment. We were warned about leaving our car on the street by a frequent visitor who had his jeep stolen, but since ours was a 2002 Jetta diesel and we left it empty, it was still there when we returned in the morning. Hotel staff is very helpful in suggesting nearby, safe garages in which to park. The room was very clean, comfortable beds, no frills, tiny bathroom, but did have microwave and fridge. Internet in the lobby, I can't remember if it is in the room. Area felt very safe to walk in, nearby restaurants to eat in, close to Naval Yard, and Old Ironsides. We had a very early flight to meet, so don't know what the breakfast situation was. We got this hotel through Hotwire as an under $100 hotel near the airport, but it would be a wonderful hotel, if you were in Boston to sightsee. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My stay at the Constitution Inn started with a non-responsive front desk attendant finally looking up to see how I could be helped. I had arrived a couple of hours before the check-in time, but explained that I had a migraine headache and really needed to lie down. He explained that my room was not yet cleaned yet. When I asked him to call room service, he grudgingly did so only to find out that my room was, in fact, ready.

After checking in and waiting 5 minutes for one of the 2 elevators, I asked the front desk what was going on, and he said that maintenance must have one of the elevators stopped on a floor. After a couple of more minutes, the elevator came to bring me to one of the most discusting rooms that I've ever stayed in. There was dust everywhere and there were dead bugs in the bathroom and under the window. It was so discusting that I literally searched the linens and mattress for bed bug, and although I did not see any, I went ahead and kept my suitcase sealed and on top of the desk.

I left that evening to catch a Red Sox game, and when I returned, I waited 3-4 minutes for the elevator to come. When I got to my room, the key did not work. I went back to the front desk where they gave me another key. When that one didn't work either, I called the front desk and asked them to bring a key up. The key he brought up didn't work either and he said that the electronic reader probable needed a new battery. I asked him to put in a new battery, and he said that maintenance had to do that. I asked him to use the manual key to open the door, and he explained that maintenance had the only key. I asked to get maintenance up there and he said that maintenance was no longer there and offered him me another room. After I reminded him that all of my clothes, computer, and prescriptions were in the room, he reluctantly called the maintenance man on his cell phone only to find out that he was on his way back from the Red Sox game and would be there within 30 minutes (it is almost 11:00pm at this point).

When the maintenance man showed up, he was actually very friendly and helpful, and quickly let me in. I commented to him that I was expecting a discount or a comp when I checked out; however, when I left the next morning, they did nothing to try to make up for the horrible night before. Furthermore, they gave the cab that I had called for the airport to another guest since I was waiting on the sidewalk and "couldn't hear them when they called my room #" . . . most people waiting on a cab wait on the curb. The crappy cab that they called for me didn't take credit cards even though I told the front desk that this was a requirement.

Even if I hadn't had the difficulty getting into my room, the gross conditions, shady neighborhood, slow elevator and rude employees were enough to keep me from ever coming back or recommending it to anyone (except maybe an enemy).

Room Tip: Find a different hotel if you want a good room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank PThrasher

Travelers are raving about these Boston hotels

Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Got an amazing deal on hotwire (2 star charleston area equals this hotel for 92 a night). Fridge, comfy bed, clean, air conditioning works perfectly for whole stay! Great place! Fairly central! Right by freedom trail, navy docks, and water shuttle. Only complaint is the elevator is fraustratingly slow (many maids use it and theres just one). I wouldnt mind taking the stairs by the stairwell is blocked off preventing lobby access. Also, the wifi did disconnect a bit, but what a deal! I recommend getting a 7 day transit pass for $17 as this city is huge and a day pass is $11.

• Stayed August 2012