“You get what you pay for”
Review of Constitution Inn

Constitution Inn
Ranked #81 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed June 27, 2012

You get what you pay for. Bottom-Line, avoid at all costs, unless you are truly resource constraint as it is truly a great deal---but, it would be equivalent to a one-star budget hotel

First, I must disclose before I pass along all the things that went wrong with this visit, the management took a night off of the bill in trying to make it all right. So, the fact of the mater is there were a number of issues with this hotel. First, the AC is very week and didn't work at all the first two nights of our stay. Also, the elevator not only moved at a crawl, which made if very frustrating, but that my family and I got trapped in the elevator---which actually stopped in between floors for about 10-15 minutes. Also, maid service came in and made the bed, but didn't offer to refresh the toilet paper---we had none. Also, because this was a special weekend and event for us, I had 4 separate rooms reserved. I called 3 different times about 2 months prior to the actual dates of staying to confirm all was OK. And, guess what. Even when checking-in, all the checking and reservations were still slightly messed up----but, thank God, we were able to make it all good, on-the-spot. Also, called down stairs a number of times---no one ever answered the phone. could go on a little bit more, but you get the idea. Lastly, folks at the front desk were friendly---that was one of the few pluses

Room Tip: my tip is... don't stay unless you need to save a buck.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Bostons_Silent_Guest
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are very sorry that you did not have a positive experience at our inn. As you may have been aware we had an unfortunate loss of air conditioning during your stay. We had extraordinarily heavy rainfall which flooded our basement and leaked into our air conditioning motor. We did call for emergency service immediately but unfortunately the entire motor had to be taken apart and it took two days to complete the service. The elevator malfunction was also unexpected and unavoidable; we do maintain and service our equipment regularly. We deeply apologize that you were inconvenienced.

We would also like to apologize for the unsatisfactory service that you received from our housekeeping and front desk staff. We do give hands-on coaching and feedback to our employees and hold regular meetings with them. Our goal is to avoid issues like those that you experienced altogether.

Once again, we apologize that you were inconvenienced and we want you to know that your feedback is truly appreciated. If there is anything more we can do please contact the hotel directly at 1-800-495-9622.

There are newer reviews for Constitution Inn

Reviewed June 22, 2012

I traveled to Boston for a graduation and did not realize I should have made reservations way earlier than I did which was 6 months in advance. I booked The Constitution Inn because of the price. After booking I checked reviews and had some concerns. Upon arriving in Boston I found The Constiution Inn to be a great place for the price. The staff was friendly, the room was large and clean and the location was nice. It was a short walk to downtown Boston or a very nice ferry ride which ran every 30 minutes. I flew a red eye from the West Coast and they held my luggage so I could enjoy the city before check in.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank LindaR52012
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We were getting on a cruise leaving out of boston so we were coming a day early to sightsee and got a booking at the constituition inn through hotwire.after I made the booking I read the reviews and that was probably the worst thing I could have done.There was a chill down my spine as i thought I had literally pushed my family into a hellhole to save a few bucks.I did not tell them where we were staying but just that it was cheaper than anything else and a place to lay our head for the night.
Boy,were we suprised when we got there.the ladies were friendly.the room was awesome!Very clean and neat and nice.Nothing like what the reviewers had described it to be.it was at a central location and very convenient.we walked to the bunker hill monument and the USS constituition was a hop skip and jump away!
we would definitely recommend this place and go back if we are ever in boston again

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank frasypoo
Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is going to be a long review not only of the constitution inn but how it impacted our trip.We were able to have a very nice time in Boston because we saved so much money staying here. We had landed about 630am, check in wasn't until 3pm. We decided to walk with 2 large suitcases, and 2 decent sized "carry on" luggage from the airport through the financial district in the middle of the morning rush.This was just to waste some time before check in (actually thought we would just walk to the hotel...ha!). I promise im getting to the point. By the time we hit Boston Commons I was tapped out, sat on a bench and refused to get up unless my boyfriend called a cab to drive my lifeless body to the hotel. We called the hotel to see if we could check in early. Nope. Only because the Boston Marathon was the same week and everyone was just checking out. They did tell us that we could drop off our luggage so we could go see some of the sights. What a relief! One of the men working there was kind of rude but all of the women were amazing. The hotel looks rough on the outside, a little dated inside, and they have the worst elevator imaginable but...the entire time I was there I felt completely safe. So back to check in. We walked around the harbor which was amazing and I vowed to take a morning walk everyday down the nice cobblestone street to the harbor because it was beautiful. We go back to the hotel about 2 hours later making it about 1pm, ask if we are able to get in yet, the young man at the desk said "No, you requested a king size and its no where near ready for you." We understood completely. The attitude was unnecessary though. We sat outside on a bench and no more than 30 seconds later a woman with long curly hair walked out and said "Your room will be ready in the next couple of minutes, Ive got the cleaning crew in there now." To which we replied "Oh, Thank you so much! We are exhausted." She smiled "I can only imagine." The rest of the time at the hotel was so nice. We barely heard anyone at night except some men coming back from a bachelor party. Check out was a breeze. I do have to say that the older cleaning woman was amazing. Had we not spent literally all of our money but $20 we would have left her a nice tip. She was always making sure we had everything we needed. She was such a pleasant woman we would go back just to see her again. The only thing I have as a tip for staying here is that the website states that the tstation is in walking distance. It is...for people in Boston...Seems like they walk everywhere. Being from las vegas, we've come to rely on a car at all times. So take some comfortable walking shoes, buy a charlie card, and have fun.

Room Tip: Rooms on 6th floor have hard crank windows but bring in a nice breeze at night.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Meagan F
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We knew for the price we were paying for the hotel we were not getting the Taj so expectations were low. We arrived to a full street and nowhere to "park" the car to check-in. Based on reading previous reviews I knew I needed to park in a certain garage, which was two blocks away and it was raining. My wife checked us in while I parked the car. She called me from the room to inform me that it was a two full bed room, which was not ideal for a single couple with no kids for a long weekend. Before going to the room I asked the front desk if it was possible to switch rooms. I was told that since I used Hotwire I get whatever room they wanted to give me and that I couldn't change rooms. I felt like I was a second class citizen because I decided to save some money.

We were placed on the second floor which happened to be the same floor as the recovering female addicts and their children along with Shriners burn victims. Not a huge deal but would have been nice to have known this ahead of time.

Room was quite large, heater didn't work and the room was less than clean. There were no blankets in the room and only a single sheet on each bed. The room was dated and had thin walls.

The next day we ran into housekeeping and asked for some blankets which were provided. The "cleaning" of the room consisted of making the beds and not much else. Hair was still on the floor from my wife and the sinks were not wiped down.

We did utilize the free shuttle due to the poor weather otherwise we wold have walked. We felt kind of awkward using the shuttle as the reason for the shuttle was for Hospital/Office patients to get from the nearby medical facilities to other facilities or the T station. Since they were going there anyways and there was room we went ahead and used it, again it would have been nice to know what the shuttle was for ahead of time.

Wireless was less than stellar in the room, I actually had to connect to a router two floors up which worked for 2 days off and on and then nothing the next day. I was able to go the sitting area and use the internet there which was not ideal @ 11:30 at night when I was trying to complete my presentation for the next day.

The staff seemed to be slightly more friendly the longer we were there but they never seemed to warm-up to us even though we were there for 3 nights and in and out constantly.

If you are looking to be close to downtown and trying to stay on a budget and don't mind BASIC accommodations then this is not a bad place to stay but don't expect world class customer service or amenities, though the workout facilities did look nice though we never had a chance to use them.

Room Tip: Ask for something not on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wyatt G
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy that you had a good time in Boston but are sorry that you weren't completely satisfied with your experience and would like to address some of the issues that you brought up.
First is the Hotwire booking/room type preference issue. What the front desk agent told you (although maybe not using the best words to describe it) is true. When booking a room via Hotwire you are booking a "run-of-the house" room, which means we book whatever room type we have available at the time. We do honor requests to switch to different room types if we have them available and there is an option on the Hotwire website to book a specific room type for a small additional fee.
We do have arrangements with several local charitable organizations including Shriners Children's Hospital, it is part of our company/community mission. All of these guests are held to the same standards and are treated the same as any other hotel guest.
While our parking may be one block away it is accessible by a covered walkway and is by far the cheapest in the city at $6 per night. Our wireless internet system is admittedly not top-of-the-line, but access is complimentary and we have the ability to troubleshoot if there are issues.
Just to clarify, the shuttle is open for use to all residents and businesses in the navy yard. The owner/operator of the shuttle is actually a customer of ours and our guests are more than welcome to use the service.
For us the most disappointing part of your review was the lack of proper service given to you by housekeeping and the front desk. We apologize for this and want you to know that we are continuously meeting with and training our staff with the aim of improving guest service. All complaints are addressed appropriately.
Once again, we apologize that you were less than satisfied and we want you to know that your feedback is truly appreciated. If there is anything more we can do please contact the hotel directly at 1-800-495-9622.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

I stayed with a large school group. I think there was pee in the corner of the stairwell. There were beer cans in between 2 adjoining rooms. One room smelled of marijuana. Hair on one bed. Hair in the tub.... No blankets on the beds (you had to find them in the closet). Extra pillows had no cases. Something yucky smeared on the bathroom wall. And, probably most dangerous, cords would just fall out of the outlets in my room. When trying to get it to plug in, the whole outlet would wiggle. I could not get my phone to charge in the room because the cord fell out every time I plugged it in. I ended up charging it in the bathroom.
I would never go back. It's a dive.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Hellojane
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are sorry that you had cleanliness issues and a faulty electrical outlet. We do inspect every room on a daily basis and our housekeepers are trained to recognize and fix/report all issues, but our system seems to have failed us in your case and we apologize for that. We do have staff available 24-hours to address these types of issues if reported to us. We are a non-smoking hotel and take our policy very seriously, any reports are investigated and if confirmed the room is put out of order.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

rooms are basic but clean, and my room was a reasonable size(compared to others i've stayed in..). staff were friendly and helpful, the free wifi was a bonus!
it was a bit noisy occasionally so i'd probably give it a miss with young children.
great location - the navy yards are quite pretty, and its only a 10 min walk over the bridge to boston city.
i loved boston, and i would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: the lifts are quite noisy so the further away, the better.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business