“New Menu, Better Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Franklin Cafe

Franklin Cafe
Ranked #1,785 of 3,188 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: South Boston
Oakland, California
“New Menu, Better Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

We went back to the Franklin Cafe on Shawmut Ave. after a long hiatus after a poor service experience last winter. The service was outstanding and the new menu is excellent. We both loved the food we chose (both dishes were specials for that evening) and the woman who waited on us was attentive and friendly. We will definitely go back especially since it is a block from where we live.

• Visited September 2013

Boston
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I am always at Franklin Cafe, the service is great and the staff is always welcoming and friendly. The steak frites basically blows your mind. They have them over truffle fries with some type of parsley and the put butter on top which melts all of the steak and fries. Also, their Huevos Rancheros on the weekend is equally as amazing. I love this place!

• Visited August 2013
Oakland, California
“Very Good Food, Rude Waiter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Four of us went to the Franklin Cafe on Shawmut Ave. on Saturday evening. We were seated right away and the waiter took our drink orders. The drinks were very good. We ordered appetizers, a bottle of wine and main dishes, all of which were very good. During dinner, the waiter was fine, but after we finished our food and were talking over the rest of the wine, he brought the check without being asked and put it on the middle of the table. We were not ready to leave and asked what they had for dessert. He replied that they didn't serve dessert, only drinks. So we said we wanted to order drinks; then he said they needed the table (btw, there was another empty table available). We had just spent $175.00 on dinner and drinks and were about to spend more, but we left (after speaking to the manager who said she would speak to him) and tipped him 5%. Can't believe how dumb and rude he was.

• Visited December 2012
Tucson, Arizona
“Good Sunday brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Enjoyed a great Sunday brunch at the Franklin Cafe's South Boston location. Arrived around noon and it was very quiet inside the restaurant and was able to park on the street just around the corner. Had a great table and nice server. Enjoyed the veggie omelet with a side of home fries while my friend enjoyed the eggs benedict. Both dishes were well prepared. The place got busier but never full. Very enjoyable experience.

• Visited September 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“An Evening of Apps at The Franklin Cafe Southie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

The Franklin hails from the South End where the original, teeny, cozy restaurant has been for years and has always been a local favorite. This location is much larger and more open than its sister. The menu is creative, modern and has a fun flair. They also do very inventive cocktails and interesting micro brews. One of my favorites are the grilled mussels that I just can’t get enough of and I was so happy to see they were still on the menu.

They have a long bar that runs the length of the restaurant and lends itself to more casual dining alone or with a friend. As there were three of us we decided that table top dining was our best option so we were seated in one of the comfy booths by the cheeky and funny host. The restaurant was still relatively quiet on this early Wednesday evening.

I raved so much about the Smoky Skillet Mussels to my friends, they both gave in to me and agreed to share them for our appetizer. They did not let me down one bit. I am not sure what they do to them to make them taste so incredibly flavorful. Plump and sweet with just the right amount of rock salt and fresh parsley. Dip them into some clarified butter and you will be in a little bit of mollusk heaven. They are truly gossip worthy.

Without realizing we all decided to keep going along the appetizer route instead of choosing entrées. An appetizer each and a salad to share.

I picked the Salmon Tartare. Fresh, finely chopped, delectable bites of sushi grade salmon with a sharp citrus bite piled onto salty, crisp taro chips made this appetizer absolutely delicious. I made a good choice.

One friend picked the Beef Cheek Tacos. A surprisingly large appetizer of three tacos which she said were really good. The other opted for the special of the night of Deconstructed Fish Tacos. A bit of twist on the traditional taco with pan-seared white cod fish atop crispy tortilla strips. Apparently it was delicious.

Between us we shared an interestingly good Quinoa Salad. This salad was so different and tasty combining sweet olives, strong feta and bitter arugula. I was scooping it up to the last grain in the bowl.

I am so happy the Franklin is still a great local restaurant serving wonderful and reasonably priced dishes. I have said it many times, it is so great to be living in South Boston right now, especially for us foodies.

The Franklin Café is great for large groups and in the summer they have an outside deck, perfect for the leisurely brunch or summer cocktails and snacks. Franklin is also perfect for a local date night. I believe we were observing a "Match" date at the bar and all seemed to be going well.

• Visited July 2012