“Bare bones budget friendly.”

463 Beacon Street Guest House
Ranked #30 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 9, 2013

$159 for a medium size room with bath. Pluses, set in grand Victorian townhouse that will have would be interior decorators imaging how gorgeous the rooms could be. Close to BU, Fenway, shopping on Newbury St. Minuses, no sound proofing, telephone, front desk from evening to 8am, maid service! Hair dryer, shampoo or other amenities. Some may find this a fair trade off, others will hate it.

Room Tip: Rooms at back might be quieter, some share baths so be forewarned and ask!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank YpsilantiFoodie

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I do not understand the good reviews, however, I will also try to find some positives. I certainly don't need anything fancy. I am fine staying somewhere that has been maintained and is clean. 463 Guesthouse is neither. For starters, 463 Guesthouse had a four night minimum for the Boston Marathon weekend. Some of the nicer, better maintained guesthouses had a three night minimum. The room was dirty and needed SIGNIFICANT renovations. I had to wash the sink and countertop as the sink still had food residue from the previous guests. If they didn't clean the sink, how can I be sure that the staff changed the bedding. The room was dark and dingy with poor lighting, and it had some kind of plastic, drop ceiling. We had to practically beg the front desk for additional towels and toilet paper. Positives. The location is great at the west end of the Back Bay a few blocks from Mass Ave and Hynes Convention Center T Stop. The room, which had two beds, was reasonably cheaper than some of the guest houses at $750-ish for the four nights. If you're strapped for cash, or are a bunch of poor college kids looking for a "flop-house" in the Back Bay, this is probably the place.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank jeff24935
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at 463 Beacon Street during a short visit to Boston en route to Maine (where I'm from). I was bringing my partner home to meet the fam for the first time and we wanted to have a few days of vacationing on our own before the family time. This place was a great find, and probably the highlight of our visit. It was a great location, within walking distance of everything- including dinner with some friends over near MIT, a Red Sox game, breakfast and coffee on Newbury Street and a walk along the river. We were in Room 50, on the top floor. The private balcony and view over Beacon Street made walking up all those stairs worth it! The staff were friendly and helpful with directions and suggestions. It felt like we really got a taste of living in the neighborhood, and we'd certainly stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jabberjay
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Just finished another great stay at 463. My wife and I have been coming here once or twice a year for 15 years. Our first choice when in Boston--great price, great location, clean rooms, and service-oriented, friendly staff!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank fortunateguy
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Forget all the other reviews, this place is amazing. It may not be a 5 star hotel, but we had a great stay. We visited over the Thanksgiving weekend where we were visiting our family in the Back Bay area. Extremely convenient. If there is ever a problem, you just let them know and they will be on it asap. Great service. The man at the front desk knew where everything was, very helpful. Restaurants, places, etc.

Room Tip: They have a few rooms with shared bathrooms, we stayed in a room with a private bath for a little ex...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Melvin J
Reviewed November 20, 2012

ive stayed here at 463 5 times(last time January 2012,will be booking again for 2013),and for the price $69 (low season) its so cheap,its on beacon street,you would never know this place exists,no big garish signs,just the number,itsjust back of newbury street ,on a lovely Boston townhouse,close to the T hynes convention center,or hop on the mass ave bus,if you want to go to central square or harvard,fenway park is in walking distance,as is pretty much most of the Boston center is,there are good local bars,crossroads irish pub on the left hand corner,resturants a plenty,the guest house is old ,not sure how old,but its charming and has character,homely is the word im looking for,rooms come with tv,cable,en suite,microwave,fridge,didnt try the A.C its winter when i have been,there is no lift,which i dont mind,just enough time to like the large spiral wooden staircase,which adds to the old style,which i really like,the staff are great dave,brian, all have been nice welcoming,and grat source of local knowledge,i really enjoy coming back to Boston,and love this place,its warm,cheap,and on a great street,it really does feel like your a local in Boston,wherever you are from in the world,this is why ive just booked for a fifth time,tell your freinds,if you go to Boston,stay here

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank huffy72
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in early November 2012. First in Room B2 then in room 40. Both rooms were nice and clean (I DID check for hairs and dirt because of warning reviews posted here before). Though they did not clean the room every day, that might be a problem for some people.

I had to move rooms after 1 night because I booked late and the guest house was almost full. Unfortunately, though I had booked 3 consecutive days, they insisted quite rudely that I move out of one room at 11 without the chance to check in before 3. This though they said that the cleaner would be done with my new room (top floor, they worked from top to bottom) before even getting to my b2 (basement) room. I thought this was rather inflexible of them, and they only budged ungraciously when I insisted I needed to work from somewhere.

Otherwise, fantastic location just by the rental bicycle rack "Hubs" , nice large rooms, pretty clean bathrooms (even the shared ones), Wifi is ok, I couldn't find a safe in my rooms, comfortable beds. Quite small windows in 40, if you want a lot of light pick another room. Their cheapest room is 85 dollars a night but quickly climbs with bigger rooms and own bathroom (I rented one for 159 dollars the first night).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo