“Good clean rooms but low service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of 463 Beacon Street Guest House

463 Beacon Street Guest House
Ranked #31 of 41 Boston B&B and Inns
Stockholm, Sweden
“Good clean rooms but low service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in early November 2012. First in Room B2 then in room 40. Both rooms were nice and clean (I DID check for hairs and dirt because of warning reviews posted here before). Though they did not clean the room every day, that might be a problem for some people.

I had to move rooms after 1 night because I booked late and the guest house was almost full. Unfortunately, though I had booked 3 consecutive days, they insisted quite rudely that I move out of one room at 11 without the chance to check in before 3. This though they said that the cleaner would be done with my new room (top floor, they worked from top to bottom) before even getting to my b2 (basement) room. I thought this was rather inflexible of them, and they only budged ungraciously when I insisted I needed to work from somewhere.

Otherwise, fantastic location just by the rental bicycle rack "Hubs" , nice large rooms, pretty clean bathrooms (even the shared ones), Wifi is ok, I couldn't find a safe in my rooms, comfortable beds. Quite small windows in 40, if you want a lot of light pick another room. Their cheapest room is 85 dollars a night but quickly climbs with bigger rooms and own bathroom (I rented one for 159 dollars the first night).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank C W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed at the 463 Beacon Street Guest House very late September for two nights. It has taken me this long to write the review as I was so extremley disappointed with the experience but feel other travellers should be aware. We were greeted with a warm welcome from the young man at the desk who was most helpful. Thereafter the experience was horrible. The room was hot even though the room had a small, nosiy AC. The room was dirty and dusty. Dust was thickly covering surfaces like the microwave and could be seen by me across the room. The bathroom was dirty with hair from previous guests left in the shower. I did not want to walk barefoot on the floor as it was sticky and stained. Goodness knows when the carpet was last cleaned, if ever. The linen was of poor quality and when asked for an additional towel was offered a washer and handtowel as they had nothing else. It is not acceptable to operate a Guest House without maintaining it. Guests expect their rooms to be clean and linen to be of some quality higher than rags. On day of departure we left the bags while we collected our rental car and returned to the guest house to see a post it note on the door saying 'will return in ten minutes'. After 30 minutes the door finally was opened and at least four staff members had been there the entire time ignoring the door bell/intercom and our phone call to the property. At least they are consistent-awful room with awful service.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank Jennifer W

Travelers are raving about these Boston hotels

Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

As all guest houses, don't expect same service as a hotel. There is no clerk around the clock, staff is not always on-site.
The room was spacious, with a mini fridge, counter, desk, couch, tv and a double bed. We were on the front fot eh house, so you could here some other time cars passing, but it was a quiet street overall so that wasn't a problem.
The bathroom was tiny... and the shower too. I dind' like it much but it made its purpose.
Location was really good, we were just a block away from the bridge you have to cross to go to MIT. There was a bike station right on the corner, and three blocks away from the "T" green line. If you are up to it, avoid using the T, and ride a bike. You can rent them in a shop or use the public ones; for short rides they are much cheaper and a really good option. We used them all day long to get from one point to another, it was great.
I thought it was good value given the money we had paid.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Old fashioned, dingy, small rooms, sullen staff. the street is very nice, but inside is a complete disappointment.no communal area in this hotel. Rooms do not have balconies. The bathroom was very small and dirty. Certainly not going to choose to vacation in the next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
12 Thank ashley k
Burlington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Reasonable, convenient, and a great alternative to the expensive city hotels. Man at the front desk helped mt park my car out back. It felt like I was staying in someone's house as a guest. Room was very small, but comfortable and completely functional. Took a quick subway ride and saw the Blue Man Group!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed in a small room on the 3rd floor with shared bath in the hall way. It was exactly what I needed for one night, and extremely affordable compared to anywhere else, with the exception of living in the hostel. Pretty humid in the room while sleeping since it doesn't have A/C. Will book again should the occasion arises.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Joe L
Jasper, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

we are on our last night of a 5-night stay in the large room 1, located right off the lobby with a large bay window out to beacon street. the cost can't be beat in comparison to boston accommdation rates. upon arrival we found our room clean, the decor historic and charming, the king bed very comfortable and the staff helpful and pleasant. the back bay location is ideal, the lovely neighbourhood safe, the proximity to the T ideal. there are a number of unsatisfactory reviews about this guest house; we arrived hoping they were not the norm or from fussier guests than us - we found nothing like the negative reviews in our stay. we would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012