“Garbage”

Hilton Boston Logan Airport
Ranked #58 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

12 midnight. No food. Hotel services: man barely spoke English; I say barely because he didn't respond - so maybe he didn't speak it at all. Hey. Well after midnight they have lunch boxes "for sale" at the front desk; except tonight - "it's been busy" (after all it is Monday, March 4th). I'll make the best of the $200/ night hotel and get a candy bar. What? No vending machines!

Ok, so let's recap.
Location: @airport but not near anything else.
Price: ok-if you're near something other than an airport. $200 with nothing available = sucks.
Amenities: if you're here midnight(+) = go to sleep.
Service: I spoke with 2 people; 1 = I couldn't understand &/or vice-versa (laguage barrier); 2 = - she told me to speak with general manager, Mark Phelan, but not until after her shift.
Food: none. Room service is 5p-midnight (even though sometimes at an airport people are delayed); "lunch boxes," except for on busy nights (i.e. Monday's in March). No Vending machines. Ultimately, there is no food; if you arrive late (say after a delay), there is really no food. I mean ZERO food.
Bottom line: I will never, ever, ever stay here agaaainnn (in the tune of Taylor Swift).

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank mourg24
Kathryn M, Front Office Manager at Hilton Boston Logan Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your recent experience with us via TripAdvisor. We are so sorry you were disappointed in our service and available amenities and we will use your feedback as we constantly work to improve our guests' satisfaction. We know how important it is to have food available after hours and we will be working to improve our process to ensure this is available. As a point of clarification, our restaurant Connolly's Publik House is open until 12:30 AM. We are dedicated to ensuring your satisfaction and hope you will give us another opportunity to show you the hospitality you deserve should you travel through our area again in the future. If we may be of any additional assistance or if you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me personally at Kathryn.Menio@Hilton.com.

Kathryn

Hilton Boston Logan Airport-Date of Stay: Friday night March 1, 2013
After many emails with many questions for a very patient and kind Ms. Menio, we finally got to stay here. We were supposed to stay there last month, but it was blizzard weekend, and we were stuck at the Hilton Back Bay. My main concern was what they do for Hilton Honors Gold members, and in particular, the breakfast policy. The executive lounge is closed after Friday’s continental breakfast is over until Sunday evening for whatever they offer at that time. Due to Massachusetts state law, there are no free cocktails, even at the Embassy Suite’s manager’s reception not too far away. It turns out that the continental breakfast served from Monday to Friday is a carb lover’s dream. Ms. Menio said it was oatmeal, breads, cereals, etc. with no protein (no eggs or even cold cuts). I enjoyed our stay for the most part (see later in the review for one scary incident), but I would not stay there Sunday through Thursday night because of the lack of a free, quality breakfast for Gold members. I would stay at the Embassy Suites if the price were reasonable and even 3-4 miles away at the airport Hampton Inn because I would at least get some hot protein for breakfast. I did prefer the hotel room over 2 of the 3 at the Embassy Suites that I’ve had when I stayed there so if I need a room Friday or Saturday night which is very likely since I often fly in late Friday night, this is where I would want to stay if they keep their current weekend breakfast policy which I will soon describe unless the rate is more than $20 higher than the Embassy Suites. Their current policy, although they advertise it now as a March special even though it was the same based on emails last month, is a certificate for 2 buffets in the Berkshires restaurant. I believe the price is normally about $20 per person so this is a nice perk even though I think a price no higher than $12 would be more reasonable for what you get. They had scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes plus several types of bread, yogurt, juices, and fruits with many spreads including several types of jam and peanut butter. I found out too late that they would have cooked some eggs over medium for me, but I was too full by then. I think the server should mention that when he/she is taking the drink order. They bring a large coffee pot so the waiter only returns when he’s walking by to wait on others to see how things are going. He never brought a bill so I assume that our letter that we received at check-in, which he took while we were at the buffet the first time, was sufficient. We left a few dollars, but he could have gotten a few more had he been more attentive and upfront about the extras (eggs cooked to order). We were in Room 881, a very nice corner room facing the Delta terminal. I would have preferred a harbor/city view, but I have no complaints since our room was held especially for us by Ms. Menio and her staff. Our room was very nice with a very comfortable king sized bed, nice desk to work at since we received complimentary wifi as Gold members, a very nice television with many channels, all of which were clearly received. The bathroom had a tub/shower combo, toilet, and sink. High quality amenities were provided, and there were large, soft towels. The bathroom dated the hotel even though it had been updated, but the layout still screams 20 plus years ago. Now for the incident mentioned earlier. We were returning from breakfast, and there was a 60ish year old lady walking the 8th floor hallway just ahead of us. When she got to the end of the hall, she turned towards our room so I thought she was staying next door since there were only 2 rooms on that side, but no. She headed right for our door. Before she put her key in the slot, I said from behind that it was our room. She claimed she had just checked in and was told 881. She had a piece of paper in her hand also. We tried our keys, and neither worked on our quick swipe. I then asked if I could try hers, and it didn’t work either, thank goodness. I walked down the hall to where the housekeeper was cleaning and asked her if I could use the phone to call the front desk, which I did. Security came and we got into our room; one of the keys actually worked on a quick swipe so I thought they had done something downstairs but still not sure. I called back and asked why a manager had not come as I was told when I called the first time and was told one was on the way. It was a very profession Ms. Menio. She said they had checked the computers, and all looked in order. We tried the second key which again didn’t work on quick swipe, but she said to do it more slowly, and voila, it worked. Given the new evidence, it looks like the 60ish year old lady was just confused. She may have been a thief, but I will never know. The front desk said that she never returned so the best case scenario was that she was just confused. Had her key worked, that would have been another issue! Due to Ms. Menio’s handling of the situation, I am keeping my 4 rating that I had decided to give them before “the incident”. Had the lady’s key worked or had Ms. Menio not done a fantastic job of calming me down and offering a reasonable explanation (a confused lady), I was ready to give this place a 1 and never visit again. I look forward to visiting again in the future for a weekend stay if the rate is decent and the breakfast policy is still to give 2 buffets. If not, I will stay elsewhere and have a decent protein-filled breakfast and complain about other things.

Room Tip: If you are Gold, stay elsewhere during the week, if you have extra time
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BerlinG-ParisF
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We have found airport hotels a bit of a mixed bag, probably due to the high turnover of guests.
We recently stayed here for an early flight out of Logan. We dropped of our rental car and the courtesy bus dropped us at terminal A. From there it is an easy covered walk to the hotel. Terminal E is also connected but that is a considerably longer walk, especially with heavy bags.
Check in was effecient and there was no problem with our arriving quite early. The rooms are spacious, most with good views and the soundproofing is very good.
We went to the North End for dinner and did not eat in any restaurants. Having a drink there afterwards suggested that this was not a bad idea as the food did not appear to be too appetizing.
Shuttle to the airport on the morning was fast and efficient.
We flew American and I do not know if it was particular to that terminal or Logan as a whole but the security lines were the slowest and most ineffecient I came across in all the US cities that I have visited. Give yourself ample time! Some people missed flights and even then had to be fasttracked for the next flight to their destination.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shakyjowls
Reviewed March 4, 2013

While there is something to be said for staying right "on airport" you certainly pay for the privilege, I think you are better off staying at one of the other airport locations that provide a shuttle. First of all, yes, you can walk from terminal A or E via several escalators, ramps, walkways, etc, but it's quite the maze and frankly after walking here last night, decided the shuttle is faster! The hotel is older and looks dated. The bed had only 2 flat sheets - no fitted, so difficult to not "unmake" it when getting in and /or tossing in the night. The outlet in the bath obviously only works when the light is on, so my phone did not charge last night. The executive lounge serves a nice cheese tray and a couple of nice appetizers and the view from there is good. Check in was smooth, but there was a line, even for Hilton Honors members and the staff did not seem very efficient - they each had to help each other with things, so that slowed down the line. Otherwise, it's a basic Hilton. Nothing special - but pricey due to the location. There are many hotels around here that provide a shuttle, so I'll probably choose another one next time I'm looking for a quick out in the morning.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank milklady58

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your input on our location and guestrooms and we will keep your comments in mind as we look for ways to improve our guests' experience. We are glad to have been a convenient option for your travels and we hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you fly through Boston.

Kathryn

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed one night since the weather the next day was not looking good and did not want to chance the drive to logan. It is very convenient and shuttle to terminals is 24 hours and comes every 15 mins. Hotel was clean and staff very nice. Definitely would go back.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CandyNewHampshire
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I had a great stay at this Hilton that is incredibly convenient to the A and E gates at Logan. I came in on Delta and arrived at 8:15 in the morning - short walk to the hotel through covered bridges and was able to check in several hours early. Rooms were very well done and appeared recently renovated with new furniture and fixtures. Departing out of the C gates (United) the next morning was a little less convenient, mainly because Logan doesn't have as much signage on how to get to the C concourse; in hindsight, taking the Hilton's free shuttle might have been easier than walking to the C gates.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed here for one night, in anticipation of bad weather, and an 8am flight time. Parked in an airport remote lot, and they shuttled me to the hotel. My room was very comfortable, clean, overlooked Boston Harbor & downtown...which was a treat! I ordered room service, which was good. Bed was comfortable, and THANK YOU for 5 pillows included in the set up! I love that!

Thought the hotel was very quiet....heard a little hall noise but no big deal! Did not hear ANY airport noise. Morning shuttle runs every 15 minutes to the airport.....

All in all, it was a good experience and I would definitely do it again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo