“Good Location - Poor Rooms”
Review of Copley House

Copley House
Ranked #67 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed October 19, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for three nights while we were in Boston. While the location was good - in a cute neighborhood and close to the subway- we were disappointed with the cleanliness and general upkeep in the apartment that we were in. While the size of the apartment was sufficient, the bathroom was dirty and the mattress was old and sagged in the middle. The decor of Room 109 was furnished in what looked like second-hand pieces of furniture that were badly banged up. We were also disappointed with the staff. We seemed to have a different person in the front office each day -- while polite, none were helpful with our questions.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 9, 2009

Best feature of this place is the location in Back Bay -- just around the corner from the Prudential (Green Line) T stop. Price was excellent, esp for Boston.
Room size was pretty good; had a nice LCD flat screen TV.
Staff was friendly and accomodating. We left our luggage there on checkout and they held onto it for us the the rest of the day.
Slight negatives-- some peeling paint in the bedroom and bathroom -- but not too unsightly. Bed was Queen -- could have used a King, but none were available.
Wifi was accessible and speedy.
For those who prefer a hotel-style, this may not do, since it is a series of apartments. Thus, no lobby, no room service. Also, parking is limited and has a fee.
Overall, I rate this highly.
My wife (a skeptic) kept saying what a great location it was, and how she'd definitely go back for another stay.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2009

I was in Boston this month checking out colleges with my little sis. We had the pleasure of staying at the Copley House. You can't get a better location than West Newton Street. Talk about a gorgeous neighborhood, beautiful brownstones and everything you need just a short walk away! Copley House really is in the Center of it all. The T (Prudential) was a 1-2 minute walk away, a HUGE upscale mall as well as the famous Newbury Street and every restaurant and nightlife amenity you can imagine.

Now the room itself was clean, functional, secure and pleasant. The beds were cozy and the staff quite accommodating to our requests and knowledgeable about what there is to do in the area. The kitchenette is also great because we didn't have to eat every meal out which saved us some $$$ to spend on all the shopping (Saks AND Barneys next door!) we tried to squeeze in.

All in all, it was a great trip. This is not the Four Seasons (that IS just down a ways though I recommend going there for tea!) but it convenient, clean and the cost fit our budget. It made us feel like we had a home base to go to after a action-packed day in the city.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2009

We found the Copley House to be a pleasant spot, conveniently located in the Back Bay area, close to a number of 'T' stations. The room was clean, well appointed, with a kitchen area and bathroom. Staff were very helpful and did not hesitate to provide assistance - particularly when we needed to amend our booking on arrival. We would recommend the Copley House.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Hello:
When I do go back to Boston to visit friends (I used to be a resident) I always stay at the Copley House, due to its highly convenient location and low lodging costs. The Copley House has great amenities, one of which are the fully-equipped kitchens, where you can save $ by cooking your own meals. There is a supermarket nearby, in addition to a variety of other shopping venues; you just can't beat the location. Given the fact that the Back Bay is one of Boston's most exclusive neighborhoods, the stay at the Copley is real affordable, and totally comfortable. I highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Boston who desires a clean, comfortable, safe, friendly, and affordable place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed August 21, 2009

My wife, son and I went to Boston to visit our daughter in Boston, and stayed at the Copley House for one night. It's actually not a house but a collection of apartments in several row houses all within a few blocks of each other. We had reserved a suite room on the 3rd floor of one of the 2 Newton Street buildings. When we arrived (after driving 7 hours) we were told the room had already been "assigned" but we were given another in a building on St Stephen St. Well, the room was nothing like the website prictures. It was 1970s decor, worn by 30 years or so. Light bulbs were dead, tiles loose in the bathroom, the toilet seat coming off, etc. It reminded me of my edge of Brooklyn Heights apartment, circa 1975. That's not a compliment. I only wish I thought to take a few pictures.

Don't be fooled about the parking. It is not included, unless you know the owner or the place is empty. The Manager did take the parking fee I paid for a garage a few blocks off the tab after I complained.

I commented about the condition of the apartment when checking out and the bait and switch routine. I was told I'd get an email regarding my issues. I'm still waiting.

The 1 plus was the location, in Back Bay. But unless you're on a recent college grad budget, spring the extra cash for a real hotel room.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Alan V
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I was in town for a business meeting/convention at Hynes Convention center, and decided to kill two birds with one stone. I wanted to see what Boston had to offer. Let me tell you, it was definitely more than I expected.

I was literally steps away from it all. There was a vast array of 3 to 5 stars restaurants within my reach, shops galore at Prudential center, as well as a Shaws market which came in handy on days where I wanted to cook my own food. I checked out the nightlife (alot of the clubs I went to were within walking distance), did some sight-seeing (Boston is very historic, and there is lots to see). I wanted to take in the whole Boston experience, so I took the "T", which was steps away from Copely House.

The price of the room was really reasonable, given the fact that it is located in one of the best/most expensive neighborhoods to live in Boston. The room was quaint and had alot of character, and was extremely clean. The linens were changed daily. The staff was both pleasant and knowledgeable about things to do in Boston, the check-in process took a few minutes, the room was what I expected (the pictures on the web-site weren't misleading at all, so I knew what to expect). I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business