“Excellent Back Bay Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Copley House

Copley House
Ranked #69 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Astoria, New York
“Excellent Back Bay Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2009

As most people know who are either going to visit boston or have visited boston already, the hotels there are outrageously expensive. Copley house is actually a great alternative. They offer self-catering apartments in an excellent location. When we first got to the office, which is in a beautiful back bay location on West Newton Street, we were told that they had four different properties and they had upgraded us from a small studio to a medium studio, free of charge, which was at their location on St. Stephens st., a few blocks away. When we got to the place, we found out that we were in a basement studio in a great, little building on a beautiful street, near many of the places that we wanted to go to. Despited being a "basement" studio, we really weren't underground and the place actually had it's own private backyard, which was nice, even though we never did use it.

The only drawback was the noise. We could hear the water dripping from upstairs constantly, but it wasn't a big deal for us. Some people might get really bothered by these kinds of things, but we realize that when we are travelling, things are bound to happen and for 120 dollars a night, we had absolutely no complaints.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2009

Very nice rooms with a kitchen in nice, old, charming buildings near Berklee College of Music. If you can get a parking spot it's only $10/night - a great deal in Boston. May be able to negotiate a better price if booking several rooms or coming back for another stay. I have stayed in two other places (hotel and B&B) in Boston near Berklee and this one is the best place for the money.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2009

Three of us stayed at Copley House for 3 nights from the 8th to 10th April. We stayed in 239 West Newton Street in room 105 (Bedroom plus sofa bed). The room itself was very cozy and homely, the kitchen was well equipped with the basics we needed to be able to have breakfast every morning and a cup of tea. The room was warm , the bed was comfy and the bathroom was clean. My only observations would be the room itself could do with a few basic DIY jobs completing and the hallway outside the room looked like it hadn't been hoovered for at least a week. We had a problem with the TV asked the front desk if they could have a look at it and they finally got round to fixing it on the last night we were there as we happened to catch the maintenance man on the stairs. Other niggle was we had to leave for a flight in the morning, we left arount 7.30 and there was nobody downstairs to to give the key too or a box to drop it in, in the end we left it on the hallway shelf with a note and hoped for the best. All in all the apartment was very close to an underground stop (5 mins walk) Duck boat tours was just round the corner and a shopping centre. After reading the mixed reviews on the site and not knowing what to expect it was perfectly fine what what we needed and we would stay again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2009

I would never stay here again. Carpet was severely stained and dirty like it had not been vacuumed for a while. The bed smelled like dry cleaning solution and was hard. The bathroom toilet is partially under the sink. There is light around the entry door from the hall when closed. The front desk clerk was not very helpfull, it was like you were talking to a sombie. Parking, forget about it. Come on now, 200 bucks for this. Give me a break.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
BostonUser, Manager at Copley House, responded to this review, July 19, 2009
I apologize that this has happened, but I have a few questions.

Which room did you stay in? I do not believe there is a room with so-called stains on the carpet. We also do provide parking for $10 a day, so I do not know why you have said "forget it".

Travelers are raving about these Boston hotels

arlington, tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

If you're looking for the Ritz, the Copley House isn't it. BUT...the amazing price, the spectacular location, and the accommodating staff make this a real diamond in the rough. Yes, they could do some more updating at the Copley House, but I know that would drive the prices close to the competing hotels. Personally, I prefer the affordable cost, amiable and VERY accommodating staff, convenience of a kitchenette, extra room, and fantastic location. It was clean, comfortable and convenient. That's what I'm looking for. Sure, when I meet my rich Prince Charming, I probably will stay at the Ritz (because I really want to be spoiled and the walls are incredibly thin at Copley House), but for now, the Copley House really gets my vote.

Happy travels in Boston!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2008

Above average FOR THE PRICE in such a safe, CENTRAL location. We booked 8 units for family members coming from across the US, Australia, Europe and the Middle East. At the time of booking (directly with The Copley House), we requested emailed photos of the rooms reserved for us, as a record.

The BEST part of our stay was having so many family members in close accommodation for such a happy occasion as a wedding, being able to meet all together in one room for a drink, or to share a meal. Looking back, this meant far more than the standard of the accommodation - a waste to spend more for fancy rooms when our holiday was about visiting with family members separated by long distances (and airfares), and seeing Boston.

Downside and Upside points listed below.

Downside:
1. The rooms we were assigned on arrival did not always correspond with the photo shown, as had been agreed on booking.
2. The carpets were in need of a good clean and did not get vacuumed at all that we noticed.
3. Not a full complement of cutlery in some kitchens, nor was it very clean. Housekeeping needs to learn to wash dishes hygienically.
4. Rooms were overheated and temperature not adjustable, so we had to have the windows open.
5. Shower stall drained very slowly only in at least 1 studio.
6. Pull out bed mattresses uncomfortable in some studios.
7. We were told there was a 'short' flight of stairs down to the room reserved for a 94 yo - in fact, 2 very steep flights. Would not meet requisite standards for people with disabilities or the very elderly in my country.

Upside:
1. Excellent location.
2. The staff was EXTREMELY helpful and friendly.
3. Complaints were dealt with promptly such as: room change to one similar to photo; lumpy springless mattress thrown out and replaced with a new one...
4. Bathrooms were cleaned daily, fresh towels daily.
5. We had free parking for 2 weeks.
6. We kept our rooms at a much reduced rate when we were away for a night.
7. Studio was bright, well appointed with furniture, beds comfortable, linen clean.
8. Laundromat across the street, supermarket nearby.

• Liked — Location, affordability, our whole party located in close proximity, ability to cook simple meals
  • Disliked — Not always matching what we booked, not super-clean
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
STL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2008

I was booked into this place by my company's travel agent, and I wish that she had checked into it first...but it was probably the last room downtown available, and THE WORST I have ever experinced.. I'll try to be brief and just give a list of the strikes against...but there are many:

*It's not a hotel. It's a series of row house properties that have been shoddily renovated into apartments at some point in time, then not taken care of AT ALL since.
*Tiny dingy shabby Kitchenette, I wouldn't eat anything prepared in it.
*Tiny dingy shabby bathroom.
*Tub would not drain, so you get to stand in dirty water when showering.
*Dingy shabby carpet.
*Horribly uncomfortable mattress...seemingly picked up out of a nearby alley.
*Supposed wireless internet did not work.
*Walls so thin you can hear conversations in the next unit like they are sitting next to you...literally.
*NO HEAT!!! Only until the middle of the night, then they shut it off to save $. This was not a one-time temporary thing. I called to complain and was told they'd have someone look into whether the heat was broken. I asked why there are no controls for the heat, and was told that the renters don't pay the utility bills, so why should they control them? I went ballistic, then was offered $50 cash for the inconvenience. Then they called back to lie and said that it had been fixed...but the same thing happened every night after I went to bed...about 55 degrees in the AM. Then I realized they knew there was nothing wrong with the heat, and never sent anyone to fix it...they just didn't have it on!

If there was anything else available I would have went running away. I don't understand how anyone could have such low standards as to give this place a positive review as a few have, unless you have been homeless in the past...perhaps it's from the management.

SAVE YOURSELF!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Marc-i-tect