“Give Me A Break”
Review of Copley House

Copley House
Ranked #67 of 85 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed April 19, 2009

I would never stay here again. Carpet was severely stained and dirty like it had not been vacuumed for a while. The bed smelled like dry cleaning solution and was hard. The bathroom toilet is partially under the sink. There is light around the entry door from the hall when closed. The front desk clerk was not very helpfull, it was like you were talking to a sombie. Parking, forget about it. Come on now, 200 bucks for this. Give me a break.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
BostonUser, Manager at Copley House, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2009

I apologize that this has happened, but I have a few questions.

Which room did you stay in? I do not believe there is a room with so-called stains on the carpet. We also do provide parking for $10 a day, so I do not know why you have said "forget it".

Reviewed February 22, 2009

If you're looking for the Ritz, the Copley House isn't it. BUT...the amazing price, the spectacular location, and the accommodating staff make this a real diamond in the rough. Yes, they could do some more updating at the Copley House, but I know that would drive the prices close to the competing hotels. Personally, I prefer the affordable cost, amiable and VERY accommodating staff, convenience of a kitchenette, extra room, and fantastic location. It was clean, comfortable and convenient. That's what I'm looking for. Sure, when I meet my rich Prince Charming, I probably will stay at the Ritz (because I really want to be spoiled and the walls are incredibly thin at Copley House), but for now, the Copley House really gets my vote.

Happy travels in Boston!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2008

Above average FOR THE PRICE in such a safe, CENTRAL location. We booked 8 units for family members coming from across the US, Australia, Europe and the Middle East. At the time of booking (directly with The Copley House), we requested emailed photos of the rooms reserved for us, as a record.

The BEST part of our stay was having so many family members in close accommodation for such a happy occasion as a wedding, being able to meet all together in one room for a drink, or to share a meal. Looking back, this meant far more than the standard of the accommodation - a waste to spend more for fancy rooms when our holiday was about visiting with family members separated by long distances (and airfares), and seeing Boston.

Downside and Upside points listed below.

Downside:
1. The rooms we were assigned on arrival did not always correspond with the photo shown, as had been agreed on booking.
2. The carpets were in need of a good clean and did not get vacuumed at all that we noticed.
3. Not a full complement of cutlery in some kitchens, nor was it very clean. Housekeeping needs to learn to wash dishes hygienically.
4. Rooms were overheated and temperature not adjustable, so we had to have the windows open.
5. Shower stall drained very slowly only in at least 1 studio.
6. Pull out bed mattresses uncomfortable in some studios.
7. We were told there was a 'short' flight of stairs down to the room reserved for a 94 yo - in fact, 2 very steep flights. Would not meet requisite standards for people with disabilities or the very elderly in my country.

Upside:
1. Excellent location.
2. The staff was EXTREMELY helpful and friendly.
3. Complaints were dealt with promptly such as: room change to one similar to photo; lumpy springless mattress thrown out and replaced with a new one...
4. Bathrooms were cleaned daily, fresh towels daily.
5. We had free parking for 2 weeks.
6. We kept our rooms at a much reduced rate when we were away for a night.
7. Studio was bright, well appointed with furniture, beds comfortable, linen clean.
8. Laundromat across the street, supermarket nearby.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 26, 2008

I was booked into this place by my company's travel agent, and I wish that she had checked into it first...but it was probably the last room downtown available, and THE WORST I have ever experinced.. I'll try to be brief and just give a list of the strikes against...but there are many:

*It's not a hotel. It's a series of row house properties that have been shoddily renovated into apartments at some point in time, then not taken care of AT ALL since.
*Tiny dingy shabby Kitchenette, I wouldn't eat anything prepared in it.
*Tiny dingy shabby bathroom.
*Tub would not drain, so you get to stand in dirty water when showering.
*Dingy shabby carpet.
*Horribly uncomfortable mattress...seemingly picked up out of a nearby alley.
*Supposed wireless internet did not work.
*Walls so thin you can hear conversations in the next unit like they are sitting next to you...literally.
*NO HEAT!!! Only until the middle of the night, then they shut it off to save $. This was not a one-time temporary thing. I called to complain and was told they'd have someone look into whether the heat was broken. I asked why there are no controls for the heat, and was told that the renters don't pay the utility bills, so why should they control them? I went ballistic, then was offered $50 cash for the inconvenience. Then they called back to lie and said that it had been fixed...but the same thing happened every night after I went to bed...about 55 degrees in the AM. Then I realized they knew there was nothing wrong with the heat, and never sent anyone to fix it...they just didn't have it on!

If there was anything else available I would have went running away. I don't understand how anyone could have such low standards as to give this place a positive review as a few have, unless you have been homeless in the past...perhaps it's from the management.

SAVE YOURSELF!!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Marc-i-tect
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Arrived as scheduled, checked in and pre-paid as required. Then was told that "wait a minute, those rooms were cancelled" to which I replied "no way did I cancel them". They tried to put us ( 4 adults ) in ONE CRACKERBOX SIZED ROOM with a full size bed and a small sofa sleeper. We went back to the office ( several blocks away ), got our credit card credited back and thankfully The Copley House took us to another hotel in Boston, but we had to pay considerably more for those rooms... but it was ultimately worth it.

IF you are going to chance it with these folks you'd better make sure, several times, that they have not screwed up your reservation; before you leave your home and head for Boston, call them one last time and make sure you still have the reservation secured. Maybe then you will enjoy your time at The Copley House.

While dealing with the office people I watched several other customers come in with complaints; whether they were satisfactorily taken care of, who knows, but the fact is, there were too many complaints going on all at the same time. The Copley House needs to completely revamp their approach to reservations and providing for their customers.

Maybe we just caught them in a bad time, I don't know, but my sense of things was that our selection of The Copley House was a bad selection from the get-go. If you can afford to go somewhere else you'll probably save yourself some headaches.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2008

I don't want to be too hard on Copley House- under $150/night in Boston is a good deal- but we probably won't stay here again.
We arrived at the office on W Newton St to learn that Copley house has 4 properties- We stayed 1 night at the St. Botolph property & 2 nights at the St. Stephen property.

The staff was very kind. They let us check into our first room at 9am on the day we arrived, and they let us leave our bags at the property for a day when we went out of town. Both locations are a few blocks from T-stops, coffee shops, etc. Both locations have running hot water, safe and quite neighborhoods, clean beds and towels, cable tv, fridges.

The studio on St Botoloph was a bit rough. The room smelled like the previous tenants smoked. There were rat/mouse glue traps under the sink and fridge (at least no rats though!). The bathroom and kitchen area had a number of holes in the wall/molding that were stuffed with foam and steel wool, the walls and doors were all heavily scuffed and could use some paint. None of these things were deal breakers for me, but I just wonder why they don't send a handyman out for a day and dramatically improve the condition of this room.

The 1BR on St Stephen St was an improvement. The room and furnishings showed a bit of wear, but overall were in modest condition- large tv, tall ceilings, no A/C, larger kitchen. A bit noisy anytime other tenants were on the stairs or slamming the front door.

We will probably opt for somewhere else next time- but the staff was very kind and the location was hard to beat for the price.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2008

My wife and I stayed in a basement, medium sized apartment for five nights. The location was behind the Philharmonic Hall. Most of the other houses in the area had been converted into apartments, many inhabited by students.
The apartment had a kitchen, which was very handy for cooking some meals. The furniture was of a good standard. On the whole we enjoyed our stay for the price we paid which was much cheaper than nearby hotels.
What let the apartment down was that it needed a good top class painter to give it a good finish, and a general makeover. On our second morning we awoke to the sound of water coming through the ceiling. Luckily the leak was above the sink and the water all went into it, and only lasted a few minutes.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple