“Economical accommodations”
Review of Copley House

Copley House
Ranked #68 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Copley House has 3 properties in the residential neighborhood so expect a bit of a walk (with your luggage) if you get a room at one of the other properties (check-in is a W Newton St).

The medium studio was basic with a tiny kitchen area. The bed was comfortable and bed linens were clean. There was also a sofa with a pull-out bed so the room could have accommodated 3-4 people. The furnishings were old and its age apparent from the dull colors.

The property was very quiet. I didn't encounter any other guests except at check-in. Checking out is simple since I pre-paid - I just left the key in the room so it saved me a walk back to W Newton St with my luggage in tow.

Overall, I would stay here again especially since the price is economical and the residential location makes it a nice walk to wherever you need to go.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room if you have many pieces of luggage.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank milodino

Reviewed May 18, 2012

We just came back from a lovely 5 day stay at Copley House. It was a wonderful experience. We were very comfortable and had everything we needed. And everything was so clean. I don't understand the negative reviews at all.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank willowparkkid
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I have recently booked the Copley house in Boston for our anniversary vacation. I did that well in advance after researching for a location that was central and convenient for walking through the city. The booking was for two nights and I received an email confirmation for the booking at Copley House, 239 West Newton St. We arrived in Boston on a Tuesday evening around 9:00 pm, April 24 and drove to the address above. We called in the clerk for the check in and, to our surprise, he said that our room was in a different building, about 7 minutes walk from the West Newton location, on St. Stephen Street. I argued that this is not what I booked and that my reservation says West Newton Street but to no avail since he said that are no rooms available other than the one on St. Stephen Street and than in the morning he would inform management about this. We parked our rental car by West Newton location and he gave us a ride to the St. Stephen location. He dropped us there with the key, did not come with us to the room. We went inside the building and we discovered that our room was in the basement. Soon as I opened the door and turned on the light, a huge 1 1/2" bug ran across the floor, I caught him and kept it for Exhibit #1. Then we immediately noticed some voices from outside, on the street, thought the 3 windows facing it. One of the windows was coming out of the frame for about 1 inch at the top!!! We called in the clerk to inform him about these, he came over and he said that bugs are 'normal in New England', he tried to push in the window from the outside but the frame was already deformed and in need of some maintenance and he could not fix it. He said again that he will inform the main office about that in the morning to either fix it or give us another room. We never heard from him or anybody else again. We were too tired to argue, we went to bed but good luck sleeping! Our room was against the utility/furnace room and the whole night the pipes and valves were cracking making some terrible noises and every time somebody was using the water in the building a percussion 'concert' will start and will last for tens of minutes. The fridge was unplugged and the freezer was full of water. The only good thing I can say about this place was the relative central location but for the money we paid, we deserved a more decent place. Totally disappointed about the room we were in and the management's attitude about not caring about the clients concerns. I'll make sure to leave this negative review wherever I can.

Room Tip: Be careful with the accommodations you are given, not always what you booked for.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
16  Thank Motznr1
Reviewed April 13, 2012

The neighborhood was beautiful! The apartment was beautiful! The staff was so nice & accommodating. It's unbelievable to me to read some of these negative comments because there was absolutely nothing bad I could say about The Copley House. It was very clean & well maintained. I saw someone comment on "no blankets" but we not only had blankets on the bed but also had extra blankets in the closet including extra pillows, an iron & ironing board. It was a beautiful little apartment, very nice area & very friendly staff. I don't see why anyone would not have a great experience staying there. Loved it!!!!!

Room Tip: 239 West Newton Street
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Beth D
Reviewed April 9, 2012

no blankets, freezing cold, up 3 flights, takes money before check in. Icky.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ctri l
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I've seen all the recent reviews and felt like I was taking a chance going here for a conference. (Location/price was excellent) However, I was actually greeted by a nice front desk clerk, went into a pleasing room and had a nice stay here.

One problem was that the heat was on and Boston was suddenly in its summer temperatures so the room was boiling, but there was an AC unit in the room so it was okay. Will probably return.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank john g
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I was last minute looking for a room in Boston. The hotel prices were expensive. I stumbled across The Copley House on Booking.com. It was around £90 ($110) for a "medium studio". We really just wanted a place with a shower and bed for the night. The reviews were mixed and we decided after hours of searching the hotel websites, that this was the best option. My friend and I walked to the location from the bus station. It was about 45-55 minute walk with luggage (backpack and suitcase). I would say if you have alot of luggage, don't walk it. Google said it was 36 minutes. We went to the Reception and were told our studio was located in a different building. There was a person ready to drop us by van. It was literally just round the corner from the building with the Reception. The studio was in the basement and was warm and cozy. There was a lovely big bed and a sofa bed, kitchenette area and small bathroom with shower. The shower was boiling hot on the first day for me but ok for my friend. It seemed fine the next day. The bed was very comfy. It was a nice location and close to the concert venue. Something to watch out for - make a note of the door number when you leave the building. Our studio was located inside a house with lots of studios on a street with lots of identical front doors! It is easy to forgot which set of steps leads up to the building with your studio in it! I would stay in this studio again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank Muldr4Scly
BostonUser, Manager at Copley House, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2012

Thank you very much for staying with our property. I'm sorry that you've had to walk for a long time and had a trouble with the shower -- we have had some sewage problems in the past week.

I am glad that you've enjoyed your room and your stay with us. Let us know if you will need a place in Boston again -- we are continuously trying to improve our rooms and the quality of our guest's stay.

Copley House