“Save everything you sign....”

Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront
Ranked #36 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Save everything you sign....”
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I stayed here with my boyfriend in July...everything went well (except our TV broke the second night and we had a repairman in there for an hour at 3am...how romantic) until about three months later when they unexpectedly charged me for our second night. I had booked the stay through a third party and upon check out, was informed all charges were taken care of and when i asked for a receipt several times, they told me there were no charges and had no receipt. Fast forward to November, and I see a charge on my bank account for the equivalent of a night stay. Ok...I may or may not owe this. I"m not sure because I used a different card with the third party and have to contact them (I closed the card), but what kind of business charges you that amount of money out of blue without any attempt to contact you? And why on earth do you still have my credit card information on file? They couldn't produce anything that I signed, authorizing the charge and refused to refund the charges. And it's so sneaky because, according to my bank, since the services were rendered more than 20 days ago, there's nothing my bank can do for me either. Such bad business. I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ericky1
FairmontBWB, Manager at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
Dear ericky1,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience at Fairmont Battery Wharf. We apologize for the confusion surrounding your stay and for charging for your accommodations in a tardy manner. Billing issues, while rare, are unfortunate. However, I can assure you that this is an unusual occurrence. Again our apologies for this situation, and we do hope that you’ll give the hotel another try in the future.

Regards,

Kristen Stabile
Director, Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 7, 2010

This hotel is truly a pleasure. My boyfriend and I went for a one night stay and arrived late that night. The staff was extremely accomadating and helpful, even walking us to our room. The room itself was great, clean, modern and simple. The bed was extremely comfortable and the dark curtains allowed for a very very deep sleep. The next morning we enjoyed the location of the hotel, in the heart of the North End. I truly recommend this hotel for its location, service and value!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed November 7, 2010

We didnt stay at this hotel, but did check it out and view a room. Seems like it would be a great hotel if you want a quiet area of town. We thought it might be fun to stay closer to the action part of the time, and here part of the time. The hotel is on the wharf, and a short walk from both North End (Italian and history) and Faneuil Hall area (shops and street performers). The rooms were nice, and the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I got a good price for this hotel on a travel site. I decided to try it, though I usually stay elsewhere when I am in Boston. Let me cut to the quick:
1. Hotel has very big rooms and bathrooms (marble)
2. This is absolutely "no frills" though it is clean and modern. Very masculine.
3. I can't tell you about the "bar" or "restaurant" personally, as I was not even interested
looking for it.
4. This hotel was made for a businessman's trip. Women, go elsewhere.
5. You will probably not stay where there is a front desk, bar, or restaurant in your
building.
There are 4 different buildings and the 1st and 2nd floor are the hotel rooms.
Of course there is no ice machine, so one must wait for room service from
another building to bring you ice.
6. Be prepared to direct every taxi to your hotel, as no one appears to know where this
hotel is, though it has been opened for 2 years.
7. The hotel has no concierge, as they will tell you that all that work at the desk are
the "concierge"
8. If you need a cab fast, you are out of luck
9. Better know where you are going in the North End, (which is basically where the
hotel is), because believe me, no one at the hotel knows where anything is.
10. If you want to see Boston for vacation reasons, avoid this hotel, as you really pretty
much already need to know what there is and how to get there.
11. Room service breakfast sucks. Pancakes were heavy and ice water must be asked
for.
12. Hotel is not near anything, but would really be ideal for hiding out, in case you ever
want to. (This is why taxis cost more than you will ever spend anywhere else in
Boston)
13. Restaurant menu at the hotel, "Sensing" looks like an overpriced 1990's menu. I d
don't see this becoming a place to dine in Boston, as there are so many more
reasonable and delicious cuisine to be had

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank joanas
New York, NY
Reviewed November 4, 2010

Loved the Fairmont! They are so nice to you. They take time to make your stay special. I stayed in one of the gold rooms for $260 per night, which I found on Jetsetter.com. The room was quite spacious and had lots of unexpected amenities. I loved being walking distance from the North End - so many great shops and restaurants.

The hotel sits off the beaten path and is in a very quiet part of town. Actually, I am not sure if there were any other guests on my floor as I did not hear a peep during my entire stay. I loved; the night time turndown, the cocktail reception, the free breakfast, the free afternoon snack, the BED!!! The towels were soo soft. I ordered room service - they gave me a time frame that the food was to be delivered (it was on time) the food was VERY good and very plentiful- everything was great!

My only negatives were: parking is $42 per day, internet is $15 per day, the business center was expensive to use - but those things were minor.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Connecticut
Reviewed October 24, 2010

This Fairmont hotel is only two years old. We scheduled a three day mini-vacation in Boston. The staff is very friendly. From talking to the help, it seems that they are very happy with management. The chamber maid told me that she cares for only 12 rooms while some other hotels in Boston assign as many as 20 rooms per shift. That translates to a very clean hotel and attentive staff. The hotel seems to focus on the business traveler but had an international leisure guest clientel- several European guests. We enjoyed the location in the North End easy walking to fabulous Italian Restaurants. A pleasant surprise on check out was being told that the quoted reservation rate was wrong and that the total room cost was $128.00 less. One suggestion is for guests to joins the Fairmont President's Club (It is free) to receive complimentary internet access, free local phone calls, daily newspaper of your choice as a perk.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
Reviewed October 24, 2010

My wife, four year old son, and I just returned from a three night stay in Boston at the Fairmont. The hotel is very modern and stylish. The staff were very friendly at check-in and gave us some pointers on restaurants, attractions, etc. I did find the front desk staff to be somewhat indifferent after the initial check-in. I made a few requests (shower cap for my wife, luggage cart at departure) that were handled in a timely fashion, but the voices at the other end were not at all friendly. The room was very clean and fresh. I particularly enjoyed the shower! Beds were very comfortable, but the pillows were not to my liking, as they were not firm at all. Location of the hotel is very good for North End restaurants, much of the Freedom Trail, and TD Garden for Celtics / Bruins games. We walked everywhere and always felt comfortable. We did take a water taxi to the airport, which we very much enjoyed. The hotel will contact the taxi company. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Fairmont. Boston is a beautiful and clean city.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family