“Superb Boutique Hotel”

Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront
Ranked #32 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 27, 2013

From the moment I arrived to the time I left this hotel I found the whole experience a complete joy. I arrived very late; but the night staff that checked me in were very courteous and knowledgeable. My room was very well designed; modern, clean and well equipped. I particularly liked the range of cookies next to the desk in the room. I chose a room overlooking the coastguard quay which had a lovely view across to the historic naval yard.

I didn't have any meals in the hotel during this stay, as the location was perfect to explore the many restaurants and cafes in historic Boston; but I did enjoy a few drinks in the bar listening to the jazz.

For a restful location in downtown Boston I think this is an excellent hotel; it would have been nice to have a gym to use but that is the only downside I can think of. It is quite expensive but not more than most hotels in Boston. Upon Checkout my experience was enhanced when my wifi charges were removed from the bill without the need for me to ask.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Russell S
Jennifer Z, Area Manager, Internet Marketing at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Hello Russell, and thank you for sharing your experience with us. It's a pleasure to hear that your stay was "a complete joy." I'm glad you enjoyed our weekend jazz series in the lobby lounge, as well as the attentive service of my colleagues. I would like to take this opportunity to mention that we do indeed have a fantastic fitness center for guests to use, operated by Exhale Spa. Thank you, again, for your post and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,636)

Reviewed December 25, 2013

Absolutely outstanding! The service and staff were incredible, and went above and beyond to make my stay exceptional. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Boston. The location is perfect if you are planning on attending a sporting event at the TD garden and close to some of the best restaurants in the city.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Smooth blend ambience, beautiful location, well thought out building planning and architecture, services and technology. However, this will all be nothing without the wonderful staff working round the clock to give life to this hotel. Ooh, the harbor view room... it sure did compensate for my short comings all these years. I thank you very much for making our wedding anniversary special. My family and I enjoyed our brief stay. Your thoughtfulness and kindness I will always remember. Make sure to check-in what your needs are (sometimes "wants") to see how they can accommodate you in a timely fashion as maneuvering the system last minute may not yield desired results. It's a beautiful place so make the most of it. Getting off the high horses and wearing a smile can get you unprecedented services. Better believe, this is my first review ever about anything. Keep it up as we will be back God willing to enjoy everything you have to offer. My wife says its lovely... in other words figure out how to make it make it happen again! Thank you.

Room Tip: Harbor view rooms please :)
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Hello Harry, and thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm so pleased to hear that my colleagues were able to make your anniversary such a special one! I look forward to sharing your post with our General Manager as I know he will be just as thrilled to hear about your experience. Thank you, again, for your comments - We, too, hope you'll return soon!

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I took my daughter and her two friends for a show at the TD North and thought it would be lovely to stay at the Fairmont using my presidential club free room. The hotel is wonderfully located in the little Italy and the room we were given was wonderful. My review has to do with the service of the staff at the hotel, starting from the valet to the non existent concierge, to the waiter and the manager. When we arrived at the hotel it was snowing and past lunch time, the girls wanted to grab something to eat before the show so we thought we would try out the restaurant at the hotel so we did not have to walk in the storm. When we got to the dining room, the waiter informed us that the kitchen was closed but we could order off the bar menu, I asked if they could at least make the girls pizza(flatbreads), and my a simple pasta dish. It took negotiating with the waiter for 30 mins before we could even get some water at the table. Finally we got a small pizza and burger as well as a pasta and drinks(soda and I cocktail), all for $106. I would not mind paying the money if the service was great but throughout I felt like the restaurant was doing us a huge favor. We then requested for the complimentary car to drop us off to the show only to be told there was only one concierge/driver so that service was not available, no apologies, nothing. Next morning I called reception to find out if the restaurant served breakfast from a different menu than room service and if we could have the menu brought up to our room. It took four calls to the front desk to finally get that menu, and through this time the receptionist was not apologetic nor did she give me an explanation why she would not bring the menu, except lied that it was the same menu until I asked to speak to the manager at which point she told me she was the manager and was short staffed. When I explained to her that our experience at the hotel was less than pleasant and she simply told me she was sorry I felt that way!! I left a message for the overall manager, he reached out to me via email and I called him back but have not heard back. It is unfortunate that a great brand name is being given a negative review because of staff attitude and service. I cancelled my December reservation at this Fairmont and I will not be coming back. For those of you who read negative reviews and don't take them seriously please think twice before you head to this Fairmont property, you are better off downs the street at the Boston harbor hotel, you pay a bit more but there are no regrets. I am more peeved that Fairmont gave me a $50 credit for the inconvenience, I don't care about the money, you ruined a perfectly good getaway.

2  Thank kitty1234567
Jennifer Z, Area Manager, Internet Marketing at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Hello and thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I'm very sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your recent stay and I'd like to take this opportunity to address a few of your concerns. As you pointed out, the kitchen was closed between meal times when you arrived and while it sounds like our restaurant team did their best to accommodate your request for items not offered on the bar menu, I'm disappointed you felt this was unsatisfactory.

I hope you will forgive us for not offering our complimentary car service on the evening of your arrival, as there was very heavy snowfall in the area and we made this decision based on the safety of our guests and colleagues. In hindsight, I can appreciate that the weather likely made it quite difficult to secure transportation to your show.

As for the delay in receiving a restaurant menu the following morning, I can, again, offer our apologies that our Manager on duty was not able to accommodate this request immediately, due to assisting other guests. We aim to offer service that is both memorable and engaging, and I'm sorry to hear that you felt we missed the mark. I have shared your post with both our General Manager and our Restaurant Manager in order to facilitate appropriate internal review. Again, we appreciate you taking the time to sharing your feedback with us and I do hope you'll consider giving us another chance.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

We bought our stay through a bargain travel website...never expecting such lovely accommodations.
Norma at the front desk searched for the perfect restaurant for me and my picky eater husband. So helpful and always smiling!
I also had a cell phone catastrophe on our trip. Norma found the nearest store,called them to check hours and printed out directions.
We would return to this hotel anytime.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I've never posted a review before, can't be bothered. But sometimes when you're treated special, it deserves an extra effort on my part.

We stayed 4 nights. Just my wife and I. Our first trip to Boston. We normally like to stay in new modern hotels so this one is a bit dated by our standards but nevertheless a nice property.

1. We liked the private living room feel of the lounge area which also doubles as a breakfast and evening tea area. It was a nice touch.

2. We liked the location. Close to the TD Garden where we saw the Celtics and the Bruins. Close to Hanover Street where there were numerous great restaurants. Closed to the shoreline where we walked.

3. We disliked the housekeeping staff, or maybe just the maid who was cleaning our room. Day 1 she left the tea bag in the kettle. Day 2 she left my wife's dirty water glass. Day 3 she only gave us one bottle water... Needless to say, we stopped leaving a tip after day 2.

4. We absolutely loved the service staff! Everyone was super friendly and helpful. Special mention to Ms. Jing Ya Chen for taking care of all of our needs and treating us like royalty!

Thank you for making our trip to Boston a memorable experience. We'll be back.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello and thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your first trip to Boston with us! While it sounds like you had a great experience overall, I'm sorry that you felt Housekeeping service was a bit lacking - I have shared your post with our Director of Rooms in order to facilitate appropriate internal review. Thank you, again, for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed December 9, 2013

My 17 year old son is in a New England boarding school so I try to take him away after Saturday classes for a night in Boston where we can catch a hockey or basketball game and enjoy the North end. The property is very well equipped for this type of trip. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with excellent room service and amenities. The wonderful location allows for a short walk to the TD Garden and around the North end where you can enjoy the restaurants and other attractions. The only problem we experienced on multiple occasions is with the valet parking that is not operated by the hotel staff. This time was particularly troublesome as it took over a forty-five minutes for them to retrieve our car, valuable time lost during a short escape from boarding school for a father/son weekend.

1  Thank Michael K
Jennifer Z, Area Manager, Internet Marketing at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Hello Michael, and thank you for sharing your comments with us here on TripAdvisor. While I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay overall, I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your valet experience. You are correct in pointing out that this service is operated by an outside vendor, but we appreciate hearing this feedback and I will be sure to share it with our General Manager. Thank you, again, for your post and I hope we'll get to welcome you back to Boston soon!