“Expensive, Not Worth the Price”

Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront
Ranked #32 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This hotel was a major disappointment. The decor was meh. The sheets were like sandpaper. I could hear the doors of other rooms slamming shut during the night.
Good location near little Italy.
For the price, there are better hotels in Boston.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DesnaDC
Jennifer Z, Area Manager, Internet Marketing at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Hello and thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. While I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed our waterfront location, I’m sorry you were not completely satisfied with your recent stay. I would like to assure you that I’ve shared your comments with our Director of Rooms. Again, we appreciate your feedback and I hope you will consider giving us another chance to “wow” you on your next trip to Boston.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,602)

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Having traveled to Boston for leisure many times, I decided to use the Hot Wire service to book a hotel as I had heard great things about choices provided. One of the 5 Star Hotels suggested was the Fairmont Battery Wharf, and once I saw that I was so excited because the Fairmont has such an excellent reputation world wide. Unfortunately, my experience was anything but 5 Star.

The first night I arrived, my daughter valeted parked her car. She lost the valet ticket and they were all up in arms about, as if it has never happened before.

The room accommodations were something out of the 1970s- very ugly, dated, and TINY.

One evening, when needing ice- was told by the front desk there would be a 35-40 minute wait. Let me add that ice machines are not provided on the guest floors... how inconvenient.

The overall staff enthusiasm was atrocious. They all were very upset about having to do their jobs. Any request seemed to aggravate and annoy them.

The only redeeming quality of this hotel is the proximity to the North End and downtown.

I would NEVER stay here again and I would NEVER recommend someone stay here. I would have been mortified if I had to pay full price for this room and not booked via Hot Wire.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jimkellster
Jennifer Z, Area Manager, Internet Marketing at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Hello Jim, and thank you for your post. I’m very sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your recent stay. You are correct in pointing out that we do not have ice machines on the guest floors – I can see how this could be an inconvenience and I will make sure this feedback is shared with our hotel’s leadership team to further assess. I’m disappointed that you felt my colleagues were not helpful – This is unacceptable. We can, and will, do better. Thank you, again, for comments, and I hope you’ll consider giving us another chance on your next trip to Boston.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

For the price, this was one of my worst so-called five star hotel stays ever. I have been to Boston many times and usually stay around Back Bay or the Downtown areas. As this was a leisure trip I decided to try something different. Never again!

After you have travelled for 36 hours and arrive at 1am, all you want is a bit of service and a quiet comfortable room to sleep in.

When we arrived we were the only customers within miles yet the porter evinced no interest in us in the slightest until we had lifted our own bags out of the trunk of our cab and were half way in the door. On check in we were given "a beautiful room with a queen bed". If only.

First thing we noticed was the heat, it was stifling. Then the smell, as if there was a gas leak but with no gas. Finally there was the bed, maybe it was fit for a queen but there were two of us.  I really dont know what passses for a queen sized bed in Boston, but you would have to be pygmies to sleep two people comfortably in that bed.

Changing rooms, even though the place was over half empty, was no easy matter, but we did eventually get there. If we had previously had the worst room in the house, this must have been the second worst. It was again stiflingly hot, directly above the entrance, with a rattling aircon, but at least a King sized bed.

The aircon only wanted to rattle and had no interest in actually cooling the room. We could at least open windows, although that did mean listening to the porter directly below us and his inane late night conversations on his cell phone.

Look, some of the day time staff were great, Little Italy was a good place to eat etc, but I would never, ever stay here again! And I suggest that you don't either.

Room Tip: Somewhere else in Boston
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BeachSwaggie

Hello and thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I’m so sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your stay. I would like to point out that the gentlemen outside are not porters, but a valet service operated by an outside vendor – that said, I do apologize that you were not assisted with your luggage. As it is winter here in Boston, we do of course turn the heat on in our guest rooms – I’m very sorry that this caused you discomfort as our intention was the opposite. I have shared your post with our Director of Rooms so we can thoroughly review our procedures here. Thank you, again, for your feedback.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We spent a couple nights here & were amazed that we heard crickets at night! Felt like we were in the woods rather than the waterfront in Boston! Wonderful bed, (& bedding), good location (& yet quiet!) excellent gym/spa facility & super friendly staff. About 10 min walk to the heart if the waterfront district and closer yet to Little Italy...just a fantastic hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lovetravellivetravel
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I think this location was great. We were 5 minutes from the Aquarium, Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market, Rose Kennedy Greenway and the Ferry to the Harbor Islands. The room was excellent and had a nice harbor view. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank njoy
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is not a usual hotel. I asked for a high floor and I was told that everything above the second floor is apartments, not hotel rooms. The sea view is mediocre, at best. You see part of it, from a side. I asked for a different room and was offered a suite at an extra $100 a night, which I passed. A few minutes later I remembered I had some President's club coupons for a suite upgrade. So I returned to the front desk only to be told that there are no suites available! In addition, I could never use the complimentary car service although the car was always available. How about waiting each morning for 10-15min to get a cab? What about having the doorman offer you a ride on a private car (at a greater cost) instead of calling for a cab, which was waiting across the corner.
Also, the gym is in a different building. Regarding the wifi, I had to reregister my devices every couple of hours. Also, one of the nights, I found the new bathroom towel to be soiled. Finally, the place is away from the good part of the city (Copley square area); you can't go far on foot; you end up spending a lot of money on cab fares. Having said all that, the room was great.

In my experience, there are much better places in Boston.

Room Tip: Not worth paying for sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Voyageur_Monde
Jennifer Z, Area Manager, Internet Marketing at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Hello and thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied by your recent stay – In particular, I’d like to apologize for the miscommunication you experienced regarding an upgrade. It is also unacceptable that you were not assisted in making car arrangements. I have shared your comments with our Front Office Manager as I think your feedback represents a valuable training opportunity for our colleagues. Again, I’m sorry that we missed the mark during your stay, but I do hope you’ll give us another chance to exceed your expectations on your next visit to Boston. Thank you for your post.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Staff was just amazing. They had recommendations that were outstanding.
The room was excellent and well designed for an ADA room. Location is superb
if you are driving. Easy access and close to many venues. Walking distance to the North End Italian area. Paul Revere house and Old North Church are 2 blocks away. Short walk across the bridge to USS Constitution. Terrace is excellent location to watch harbor traffic. US Coast Guard next door with ships coming and going.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family