“Totally disappointed ...”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Estero, Florida
“Totally disappointed ...”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My husband booked this hotel as a quiet getaway for me while he had business meetings in Boston. We specifically didn't stay at the Marriott where everyone else stayed and he chose the Fairmont thinking it would be a special treat for me.

The room was nice but I believe in quality control and customer service from a 5 star hotel - not to be found. 1. The box spring on the bed was uncovered/exposed - put a cover on it. 2. there was trash in the hallway for at least 24 hours. 3. room was cleaned but toilet paper was removed and not replaced - did they use my toilet? 4. I used the lovely coffee maker but the coffee supply was not replaced for the next day. 5. There was a broken bottle of Patron in our refrigerator 6. turn down service on Tuesday but not Monday?

The biggest things was the bathtub, the A/C and returning from shopping for a nap at 1pm and our room had not been serviced. I had to ask for service and wait on my nap. So much for my quiet few days away. Here are the details:

1. The bathtub stopper didn't work - I brought special tub salts with a bath planned. I wanted to enjoy a lovely, large bathroom and tub since we live in NYC in a small space. :( 2. The A/C never really worked - we asked 3 times for the air to be looked at and it never changed. It was freezing in the hallway but not our room.

The Front Desk staff was pleasant and wanted to help but alas - the had to order a part for the bathtub - why wasn't it discovered and fixed before I got there? They should have moved us to another room. They said they asked for our A/C to be looked at but I'm not sure the temp ever changed. They did bring me more coffee pods but why weren't they replaced. I felt like I was at a 3 star hotel and not the Fairmont at Battery Wharf - whomp, whomp, whomp. :(

1 Thank Mary H
Jennifer Z, Area Manager, Internet Marketing at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hello Mary, and thank you for your post. I’m very sorry to hear that we missed the mark on a number of details during your stay - This is simply unacceptable. I have shared your comments with our Director of Rooms in order to facilitate the appropriate internal follow-up. We greatly appreciate your feedback and hope you’ll consider giving us another chance to “wow” you on your next trip to Boston.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Turkish first
Prineville, Oregon, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great hotel and location right on the water in Boston. This was our first time to Boston and the staff was great at giving recommendations on what to see and do. We are definitely staying here next time we visit Boston.

Room Tip: Water view was fantastic
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Battery Wharf is located in a great part of town, central to the Italian district, the waterfront and terrific restaurants. To me the hotel offered an exceptional experience with front desk staff always available to help out suggesting attractions and remarkable restaurants. The hotel is a smaller Fairmont property but their philosophy of creating a destination experience was outstanding. We appreciated the privacy and quiet ambiance of the location. We were also pleasantly surprised by a delightful dinner at Aragosta Bar and Bistro.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jvallery
Spring Creek, Nevada
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I will give the positives of the hotel first. Rooms are nice and spacious, location is great, close to Hanover Street, close to the Freedom Trail, close to TD Garden Arena, and close to the airport (15 min cab ride). However if you like being treated well at a Luxury Hotel go elsewhere, the front desk is pretentious and when asked to speak to the manager, he as well was pretentious and spoke down to me. Customer does not come first here. We arrived well after check in time and room was not ready, however they checked in three other guest while we waited. Joined there Presidents Club and they spelled my name wrong. Overall as a first experience with Fairmont properties I will not go back.

1 Thank Tracy J
Hello Tracy, and thank you for your post. I’m sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your recent stay. We strive for the highest level of service and I’m disappointed to hear that we fell short. We can, and will, do better. I’d like to apologize on behalf of the team and assure you that your comments have been shared with leaders here at the hotel in order to facilitate appropriate internal follow-up. Thank you, again, for your comments and I do hope you’ll consider giving us another chance on your next trip to Boston.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The Context of My Review.

My review of Fairmont Battery Wharf is in comparison to Hotel Widder in Zurich, Four Season in Las Vegas/ Dublin and Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam. As an Australian, my review may have particular relevance to the increasing number of Australians who are selecting Fairmont Battery Wharf for their stay in Boston.

My visit: I stayed at the Fairmont, IN October 10th OUT 13 th Oct, (3 nights) stayed in Room 4134, room rate including tax 14.45% was US $ 1165 but upgraded to a room with water views for $50/night, excluding food and other charges the final room rate including State Tax, City Tax, and Occupancy tax was US $ 1136. Given the cost, the room and the experience I would not return to the Fairmont battery Wharf.

The Hotel, the Fairmont is well placed in the north part of Boston, the lead up to the Hotel is impressive, the Fairmont consists of two floors of hotel rooms ( 1-2 floors) and 4 floors of condo's.
Check in was efficient and the front desk ( Norma) was very helpful with my tourist programme.
I was in building four, and the entrance to building four was straight forward, with two levels of swipe card access. The hotel had a good level of security, and when combined with the location in the north, one could relax about security. The proximity to Italian restaurants was a plus, as was access to the bottle shop at the end of the driveway. Starbucks and 7 11 are nearby.

The Room 4134
The room was down the end of the corridor, in building four, close to the water and past most of the other rooms. Good swipe card system for entry into the room. The room itself was not up to standard. The carpet was unduly stained and had an overall dirty look about it, the vacuuming was around the furniture and not behind the furniture, the was significant dust around the bed base and some " Gecko like poo" was behind the black oversized chair. The bathroom was very clean with a good standard of products, towels and dryer.
The interior design in the room was not balanced, the big black chair in front of the window to the water was inappropriate, a tub chair would have been more suitable, the bed was comfortable, linen crisp and pillows comfortable. The Nespresso Machine was in the room and included complimentary capsules which was appreciated. The Wifi was an extra TAX, which was not paid.
There is a business centre which does have access to the Internet but with a cost. There were no white wine or champagne glasses, in the room, but included were two red wine glasses. The telephone and TV where in working order, but the number of rings was set at two and then proceeded to voice mail. Hence many calls were not able to be answered in time. First check the "settings" on the phone and it is straight forward to set to 6/7 rings before voice email is activated. The noise in the room was of concern, the take off sounds from Logan Airport could be easily heard on Sunday morning, and the noise from the other guests exiting and entering there rooms was also apparent.

Services.
I did not eat at the Fairmont.
If you have laundry to be done consider the commercial laundry service at the end of the Fairmont drive way, for example I was quoted $ 7.50 by the Fairmont for a shirt to be laundered, the commercial place was $ 2.95 overnight and 3.95 for same day service. All other sorts of laundry and dry cleaning can also be handled by the commercial operators.

Boston Taxis
My view is that Boston taxis need an overhaul. The system of getting a taxi at the Fairmont is a little clunky, which involves someone pushing a button or something similar in a box near to the front entrance, or going down to the end of driveway and hailing a cab. I used cabs on seven occasions; 5 of those occasions English was not the first language of the drivers and what English there was by the driver, was not satisfactory. On one occasion there was a driver who had no knowledge of the location of the Fairmont.
There is an excellent alternate system which includes a system of drivers operating under UBER and a series of independent operators. I used both operators, on my last four journeys, they drive black cars that are clean on time and a little more costly, but worth considering. Two drivers Mike and Larry (781 789 9781) were used by me and were excellent. Both have a connection with the Fairmont and can be requested.

Overall
The Fairmont. Battery Wharf is not up to or indeed near the standards experienced at Hotel Widder, Pulitzer Hotel or Four Seasons in Dublin or Las Vegas.
In short, I would not stay at the Fairmont again and it may be worth considering other Trip Advisor recommendations when staying in the magic city on of Boston. I will return to Boston.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Gregory G
Hello, Gregory, and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I’d like to take this opportunity to address a few of your comments. In particular, we have no control over the quality of Boston’s taxi system but as you mentioned, we do partner with a local car service to make getting around the city convenient for our guests. Also, while this is the first I’ve heard of a guest experiencing any noise from Logan Airport, I am quite sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the state of your guestroom upon arrival. I have shared your comments with our Director of Rooms in order to facilitate appropriate internal follow-up. Thank you, again, for your post.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We chose the Fairmont Battery Wharf due to the location and we've stayed at Fairmont's before. Great choice due to being in the north end, close to great restaurants and Freedom Trail, view of the water, quiet.
We would bring to our room for breakfast delicious pastries from Mike's Pastry and Modern Pastry, OJ and yogurt from 7eleven and with the espresso in the room, we were set!

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I've stayed at a number of Fairmonts in past years in Seattle, San Francisco, and DC, and this one did not measure up to the outstanding service one would expect with a Fairmont property.

The biggest assets that this property does have include:
- Exhale Spa & Fitness Center (very well appoitned and great locker rooms)
- Premium room amenties (Nespresso machines, Le Labo toiletries, very comfortable beds and robes)
- Quiet rooms due to location right on the water and not a loud neighborhood (though still within walking distance to to attractions)

However, I had a number of not so ideal experiences that made me question if the room rate is worth being even more expensive than the other Fairmont in Boston as well as other hotels in the area.

- Finding your room can be challenging, so much that the front desk attendant proactively walked me not only to the separate building but also to a door that led me to a hallway where my room was located. Given there are several conference center facilities, it's hard to get the hang of it the first 1-2 times getting to your room
- Getting drinks in the lobby proved comical since they were out of half of the specialty cocktail ingredients. It took about 3 times of the server returning until we ended up with 3 standard drinks (martini, manhattan, white wine).
- The gym and spa is located in another building, which isn't horrible, but in the colder months, I couldn't imagine walking about a block in just shorts to go workout without feeling it would be a huge inconvenience.
- Requesting the hotel courtesy car to go to brunch proved to be a waste of time as the staff wasn't aware of the radius it could travel and took over 10 minutes for them to tell us it wasn't available. Then, instead of hailing a taxi, the front door staff put us in a black car that then asked to charge us $5 more than what he agreed to before we got in the vehicle. This wouldn't be an issue if there were more taxis or closer public transportation nearby. Unfortunately, you probably should call for a taxi in advance or plan to use Uber to get around from this part of town.
- None of the toiletries were ever replaced after we had used them in the first day and turndown service didn't even come the second day even though we were gone from the room the entire afternoon and evening.

Overall, these service "hiccups" would be fine at bigger chain or less premium hotels, but for these to all occur led to a general sense of being inconvenienced, which felt extremely frustrating when paying over $500 a night. I would recommend you stay elsewhere unless you really need to be in this part of town.

Room Tip: Try to get on the 2nd floor so you don't have people walking past your room in the morning.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank upgrademe81
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here on TripAdvisor. While you enjoyed our location and amenities, I’m very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your stay. In particular, I’d like to apologize for the “hiccups” you experienced as you are right to expect higher attention to detail at our property. I would like to point out that our separate buildings are in fact connected via a below-ground concourse – This certainly should have been communicated to you in a timely fashion. I have shared your post with our Director of Rooms, as well as our Front Office Manager, as your comments could represent a valuable training opportunity for our colleagues. Thank you, again, for your feedback.