“Adequate Place but I Expected More”

Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront
Ranked #36 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Massachusetts
“Adequate Place but I Expected More”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

There are many lovely things about the experience of staying at this hotel. In fairness it is above average--if I could I would give it a 3.5 rating--it just doesn't quite hit the above average when you consider the cost. The best things about this hotel are not necessarily related to the facility itself.

The location is marvelous. Beautiful views , walking distance to Faneuil Hall, and basically located IN the North End. The neighborhood is lovely, away from the crowds and just off the beaten path. The Harbor Walk is wonderful and you can enjoy this right around the hotel itself.

The rooms are very lovely, reasonable size but certainly not spacious. We had the Coast Guard Station view room. I have no idea why some people said there was no privacy due to the boats. (I mean the place is on the water and yes boats can dock there but I really could not see how it would possibly interfere with your privacy as there is some distance.) The chairs in the room were very comfortable. The beds were comfortable and yes, everything was very clean.

Not sure what I was expecting but from the reviews here I really thought the service was going to stand out. I have no specific complaints. But the entire experience was rather hum drum. Normal check-in, no escort to the room--that's okay except that everything is so hard to operate in the room (as has been noted voer and over in these reviews). We had to call the front desk repeatedly to figure out the TV and then to get music connected (and we are not IT phobic folks by any means). Actually the correct remote was missing. There were nice people who came to assist, but really, is this how you want to spend over an hour and then every person that comes in you have to tip. Not a deal breaker for sure, as when contacted they promptly arrived and did what they could. Just time consuming.

We wanted to have a drink outside on the terrace. The bar tender was less than friendly in telling us that it wasn't possible unless we ordered food (it wasn't mealtime or crowded at that point being mid-afternoon). The next morning we ate there for brunch and despite waterside tables being open the hostess sat us at the absolute worst spot. Of course I could have asked for another table, but at a certain point you just get tired of always having to deal with something and all in all it wasn't that critical. Breakfast was fine, but I swear the hollandaise was premade or if not, they need to get a better recipe.

We attended the Jazz Festival for which tickets were $50 and the bands were lovely--these are the jazz bands that play in the lounge through the summer on Saturday nights. But it was poorly arranged. Lines for the food were terribly long. The food looked delicious--but who wants to wait in line for over 30 minutes. If they are trying to save on cost then they should have served less expensive food but made it available. The bars required waiting in another line. Literally to get cheese crackers and a drink took me over an hour. Waitstaff were NOT friendly. You could tell there were just too many people and not enough servers and they were frustrated. But hey, it was a beautiful night and the music was lovely, so we still had a good time.

Sunday morning we got a New York Times at the door and I went downstairs to see if I could have a Boston Globe instead as we were curious as to what was going on in the city. I give the guy credit for going to check but when he came back he said no, they only get five and the five get taken really fast. Okay--really? The hotel is IN BOSTON not New York. And if people always ask for the Boston Globe--why doesn't this fancy schmancy hotel spring for maybe fifteen newspapers?? LOL!!

This was a challenging review to write as we did have a good time and I would definitely stay here again. As you can see there was nothing that bad at all. It was just a series of small disappointments or irritations. My expectatons may have been heightened by reviews here and I also feel that the hotel is quite expensive--especially since it does not have a pool or hot tub or amenities that many other fine hotels provide. (That's okay with me--but then show me something special.) I also think you can hit a place at the wrong time with the wrong staff, or just when things are not going well. But I wanted to write my experences to put it into perspective for other folks considering this place. It just may not be as idyllic as others experience so be aware of that going in or stay in the Gold Level where you can more greatly assure a higher level of service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

THE place to stay on the North End. So close to everything. The boardwalk goes along the water for a great view of the sailboats. THe rooms were top notch; spacious, clean, comfortable bed, large walk in shower. When we arrived ice was already in our bucket. The staff was very helpful, holding our bags until time to go to the airport. The bellman called a Cadillac for our ride to the airport. When you stay in a hotel of this caliber, tip generously everyone you come into contact with and they will treat you like royalty (word spreads among the staff). Cant say anything bad about this hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My family and I arrived at this hotel to find a friendly and helpful staff. While checking into the hotel one staff member, Josh, really stuck out and went above and beyond to make our stay in Boston amazing. He recommended the most amazing restaurants and helped us pick the best tours of Boston. He is a wonderful staff member and if you need anything while staying at this hotel, he is the one to ask for! The rooms and views are beautiful and the location of the hotel is perfect. The North End is beautiful and a central location to the many historical sites of Boston. I definitely would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to visit Boston.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in June. We stayed in the Gold Building, so had free breakfasts and free tapas in the late afternoons. Both were delicious, with a range of items and of good quality.
This was our first trip to Boston and I hesitated to book this hotel, wondering if it was too out of the way. But I loved it! The North End was a fun neighbourhood to wander and it was always buzzing with people. It was easily walkable for us to downtown and Boston Common, amongst other places. And I enjoyed being on the water - walking along the waterfront and the piers.
Our room was a suite - it seemed slightly small for a suite, but was very well-appointed. We had a partial water view and a balcony - although it was too hot to sit out there for very long when we went.
We used the hotel's free bikes a couple of times. What a fabulous way to see so much of the city! We biked along the waterfront and to South Boston and also along the Charles River and over to MIT. We bought a cheap bike lock because the hotel doesn't supply locks and we grabbed a bike map from nearby Urban Adventures.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and to recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cdnabroad
Millbury, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The entire stay was excellent. The Presidential Suite was spacious, well finished and exceptionally maintained. The front desk and concierge were of tremendous service and insured that our expectations were fully met. The courtesy BMW vehicle service to near-by venues was great.

The only noise we heard was that of passing pleasure boats, charters and seagulls if you opened the windows on any of the three sides with water views. Quiet pleasant and relaxing. The private terrace was tremendous and offered expansive views of Boston Harbor, the waterfront as well as Charlestown and other nearby areas.

The potential cost of internet service was unheard of in this day and age of free Wi-Fi but the cost was removed by simply joining the Fairmont Presidents Club. The room service generally excellent but pricey as would be expected at a five star hotel. The only issue encountered was with a room service breakfast that, for $80, was delivered late and cold. Without the ability to reheat the meal, the breakfast was sub-par.

The locale of the hotel was perfect for visiting downtown Boston, Faneuil Hall Marketplace, The North End and other waterfront destinations and venues.

Room Tip: Water-front suites and rooms are most desirable. Insure that you request harbor view. The direct wat...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ormond Beach
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Make sure to sign up for Fairmont's Pressident's Club loyalty program either before you arrive or at check in to get free Internet access, otherwise it is $12.95 a day. This property compares nicely to other Fairmont Hotels in terms of high level of service and excellent room furnishings and amenities. It is a bit more charming and 'boutique-like' due to its layout. It is really four separate smaller buildings that have been retrofitted into this 150 room luxury hotel unit. We were upgraded on arrival to a Deluxe Harbor view room. The beds were extremely comfortable with luxurious linens. The bathroom was richly decorated with marble and granite and separate full sized bath and shower with excellent toiletries. We had a bit of a learning curve with the Nespresso machine and made quite a mess before figuring it all out. The end result was great coffee so we were happy. The location on the harbor at the north end was excellent for the sightseeing we wanted to do. Our stay was brief so we did not get to try out the spa or restaurants. Would I return to this hotel? Absolutely.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MarkOrmondBeach
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I've stayed at more places than I can remember, but never had such wonderful service and great room as I did here. Room was modern, full of amenties, great bathroom with large walk in shower. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Waterfront was wonderful
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple