“Nice hotel ~ some staff could use help”

Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront
Ranked #33 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have stayed at this Fairmont many times in the past few years, and this time I was just not as happy with the service, and in some cases the value. I had a really hard time communicating with reservations via email. It took a long time to get any answers and when I received partial answers they came with a little attitude. I was communicating with several other properties at the same time and got WAY better service with the same questions. One gentleman at the front desk was particularly not helpful. If it wasn't at his fingertips or he might have had to move, or go a little above and beyond, it just wasn't going to happen. Our rooms were nice, but be warned the double rooms are very small. We had room service and that person should be at the front desk! Very happy, very accommodating! We had the brunch on Sunday and Wow! ~ food was OK, price was astronomical!! and I don't mind paying a lot for food when there is value. Really, rethink your brunch.

Room Tip: try to get a corner King room if you want a little space.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nordic1
FairmontBattery, General Manager at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

I am very sorry to hear that this stay did not meet your expectations based on your past experiences with us. I would like to express my apologies for the reservations and check-in processes not running as smoothly as possible for you. I am glad that our in-room dining attendant was able to positively impact your stay by providing you with the service you were expecting. I appreciate you sharing your comments as they help us to regularly assess our practices and make improvements. I will be sure to share your comments with the appropriate departments and have these issues addressed in the weekly training meetings.

I hope that upon your next visit to Boston you will consider Battery Wharf again. If there is anything I can do to make your next stay more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to ask!

Best,
Indu Brar

Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Very disappointed with the lack of food options at this hotel. One option, and very expensive.

No place in hotel for any type of vending, unless you used the mini bar. I don't trust mini bars!!! Every high end hotel I have been to has vending options, not here.

Rooms were fine, although housekeeping never replenished soap, shampoo, etc., during our 4 night stay. Towels were replaced daily, and room was cleaned very well. Housekeeping even picked up after us.

Water taxi is a good option to Logan, and we used it for our return flight.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Two of my girlfriends and I recently stayed at the Fairmont Battery Wharf in Boston. It was lovely! They took the water taxi from the airport to the hotel and found it to be very convenient. We arrived early in the day and they kindly stored our bags as we explored Boston until the room was ready - we already had lunch reservations, so this was not an inconvenience. The location, although beautiful can be a bit of a walk to some of the main attractions, however, it is only a short walk to the aquarium and Quincy Market. And they also provide a very convenient and relatively inexpensive car service right outside the door. The North End where it is located, is also home to so many wonderful dining options! Everyone at the hotel went out of their way to greet us and make us feel at home. I would definitely return to this hotel again. The rooms were nice and very well appointed, and were some of the only rooms we could find that had a two double bed option. Next time we will have to try out the spa!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Fairmont hotels are always a reliable choice and this hotel was no exception. It's in a great neighbourhood of Boston; steeped in history, and set among an area that is ripe with talent and innovation - everything within walking distance. This is the real Boston, and a part of the city where you feel like a local. There are wonderful new restaurants, cafes and shops set against a historical backdrop and along the city harbour.

The hotel itself is an oasis - the food at the restaurant was spectacular and they were more than accommodating with my request for vegan meals. I borrowed a BMW bike from them one afternoon and took myself on a bike tour that stretched along the waterfront all around the city. One of the biggest highlights was the water taxi that picked me up at the hotel and dropped me off at the front door of the Institute of Contemporary Art - just a short ride up the harbour. What a cool way to arrive. NOTE: it's way cheaper - and way more fun - to also take this taxi to the airport. We'll be back for sure.

Room Tip: Use the water taxi service to get to the airport
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
FairmontBattery, General Manager at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank for posting your review! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our location among some of Boston's most historical landmarks. Our restaurant, Aragosta Bar + Bistro, is dedicated to assisting those with special food requests. We are more than happy to create specialized dishes not only for vegans, but for gluten-free, heart healthy, raw diets, etc. I am glad that you felt well taken care of and that you enjoyed your meal!

I find the water taxi to be one of our greatest assets. It can take you from our private dock to many locations along the waterfront including the airport and the ICA as you mentioned. It also has access to some of the best restaurants Boston's Seaport has to offer, the convention centers, and the Bank of America Pavilion concert venue. I am happy to hear that you plan to return. If there is anything that I can do to make your next stay more comfortable please do not hesitate to let me know!

Regards,

Reviewed March 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a weekend here for our 2 year anniversary and everything was wonderful! The staff was very friendly, we were even walked to our room and given a tour of everything...(We had a bathtub!) On our way over to the lounge we were stopped by the front desk attendant and were given a card for complimentary champagne, (which the waiter was nice enough to let me keep). The lounge was my favorite part by far; I loved the live jazz, and the food is incredible (the tuna topped pizza!! SO good!) It was nice to have a little romantic place to go to without leaving the hotel! (We stopped in both nights we were there) Even though we drove everywhere, we realized too late that many of the attractions we wanted to see were within walking distance. The weekend could not have been better, and hopefully we will be able to visit again, though we will definitely be walking and training around town (I thought NYC parking was bad, but was nothing compared to Boston parking).

Room Tip: I think most rooms have a view of the water which was nice to wake up to (the Coast Guard base right...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your anniversary! I am so happy that we were able to make this occasion extra special for you. It is great that you were able to stop in to Battery Lounge to listen to our live Jazz and snack on the tuna flat bread. It is definitely a favorite dish among Aragosta customers. Thanks for posting your wonderful comments! I hope that you will be able to visit Fairmont Battery Wharf again soon!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I just spent the night at the Fairmont Hotel in Boston on Battery Wharf - what a treat! The hotel was impeccably clean, the staff extremely courteous and helpful, the location offered beautiful views of the water and convenient to all that Boston has to offer and the cost of the stay was worth every penny! We thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in the suite - nice to have the living room space and kitchenette since there was another...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed in a junior suite in the gold building for 4 nights and were really pleased by the genuine good care the staff had for our well-being. (Thanks to Christine & staff for making us welcome)

For work, Internet connection is a steady 50Mbps downstream and 5mps upstream which was needed for for audio/video conferencing we both had to do for work, the on-site lounge and spa were great stress relief that made it easier to tackle the volume of work we had.

Great Italian restaurants nearby, close to the aquarium and a very pleasant healthy walk across Boston to get to the museum of fine arts and the public library.

Again, thank you Christine, you've made The Battery Wharf a Boston home for us
See you next time ;)

Room Tip: Gold building, far from the Tubular bells on the walkway
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business