“Good location and luxurious”

Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront
Ranked #35 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My son and I went to Boston on 7/28/2012 and stayed at the Fairmont Battery Wharf. It is right on the harbor and is in the north end with alot of Italian restaurants and easy walking to Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall and the Freedom trail. I could see the harbor from the room. I wish I could take their bathroom in the room I had and put it in my house. It was great. The only issues I have with the hotel is that check-in is at 3pm and when my son and I arrived at 4pm our room was not ready. This should never happen at a Fairmont or as my son said any hotel. He is right. They should also have at least free wi-fi in the lobby which they don't. Any internet use is charged to your room. Also there was no guide in the room describing all of the hotels services. Just a menu for room service. I read they have complimentary DVD's but no information was in the room on how to get one. Not being able to check in at 4pm is the only major issue.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Hannah C, Marketing Coordinator at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. We are so happy that you enjoyed your room and were able to take advantage of our great location in the city. We are very sorry that your room was not ready upon arrival and we appreciate your patience. For future stays we recommend joining the Fairmont Presidents Club which will give you complimentary access to the Wi-Fi in the lobby and in your room. In efforts to be a more sustainable hotel we have transferred our Guest Services Guide onto the television in each guestroom. This allows us to keep the information as up-to-date as possible while remaining environmentally friendly. We apologize for the confusion and will certainly take this into consideration on how to make sure guests are aware of this feature. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

There are newer reviews for Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I checked in just before midnight and was upsold from a fairmont king to a harbour king. Upon checking into my harbour king I realized that it was actually not possible to see the harbour from the room unless i was standing at a particular angle. At this point, I called the front desk and informed them that I was not happy with the room and didn't want to pay for the upsell because I really couldnt see the harbour. I offered to move back to my original deluxe king room. The agent told me to stay because my room had already been given to someone else and further said I would not be charged for the upsell. Ten minutes later, in the shower, I received a phonecall from the manager on duty where he insisted I pay the upsell. I told him no and he moved me to a fairmont king room directly located above the main entrance of building 3. I have to say I did not get any sleep that night because everytime the front entrance door was opened, my entire room would shake. The next day I called the manager on duty and explained what happened and was moved to a nice coast guard room. Third time lucky the room was comfortable.

The gentlemen who was the manager on duty was rude and not accommodating.

Another point is the valet parking is terrible. $42 a day and on numerous occasions they were unable to find my car in the parking lot after 30 mins. On one occasion I waited up to an hour.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2/F facing the Coast Guard or Harbor. Facing the driveway, you there is notice...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank jetsetter1k
Jana_Baseel, General Manager at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

I would like to sincerely apologize for the mishandling of the room types that took place during your stay. I do appreciate you bringing this to our attention during your stay allowing us the opportunity to correct it for you. I can assure you that your comments have been noted and will certainly be addressed in our weekly training meetings with the appropriate managers and colleagues.

Additionally, I am very sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with the valet service. While the valet is not managed by the hotel, we do expect them to provide outstanding service to our guests. We will be sure to communicate with our valet partners to ensure they are aware of this issue and will work to correct it. If you are amenable to contacting us directly with any further details, we would certainly welcome more information as this will enable us to more accurately resolve any and all issues (batterywharf@fairmont.com).

Again, please accept our sincerest apologies for a less than perfect stay. Please know it is our utmost priority to provide thoughtful, exemplary service to all our guests, and we very much regret that we did not meet your expectations on your recent visit.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Fairmont Battery Wharf for two nights in a Fairmont Gold King Bed room. Our room was gorgeous, very modern, yet warm and welcoming. The room was very spacious, with a view of the harbor from our corner window. The bathroom has a huge walk in shower with rainfall shower head. Lots of little details impressed us, like when we came back from Fenway our first night and our bed was turned down, with slippers positioned on each side, soft lighting on, and music playing! All the staff members we encountered were helpful and pleasant. The Fairmont Gold lounge provided breakfast each morning with hot and cold items, appetizers in the late afternoon and desserts in the evening, along with coffee, tea and beverages throughout the day. This hotel also has a great location. Walking distance to Quincy Market, the Aquarium and the North End for fantastic Italian food. I am a travel agent, and I will be highly recommending this hotel to my clients!

Room Tip: Try staying in a Fairmont Gold room for complimentary breakfast, appetizers and desserts, and lots o...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The service and the staff at the hotel is amazing, as a Premier member the turn down service is always a nice treat. The hotel is nicely located in the North district of Boston very close to the Italian district and a short walk to some of the best food in town! Also short walks to the markets and the public transportation. Rooms are nicely appointed as are the bathrooms etc linens and amenities in the room are to Fairmont standard. One thing was missing in our room was a coffee maker or Nespresso Machine, we did find the Nespresso cartridges just no machine, not a deal breaker as a short walk from the hotel was Quincy Market where we got our java fix. If you are coming from Logan Airport do the water taxi as it drops off right at the hotel, buy a return ticket it is great value (not sure if you would do that in the winter!) its a nice treat to see some of the waterfront instead of traffic. Outside the hotel they have a nice patio silly Boston rule you have to have food to be served booze on the patio but otherwise nice. No pool at this hotel so that is a little draw back but the spa is nice. The front door guys were a little distracted most of the time, I don't care to much about having the door opened for me but again a nice treat but most of the time they were to busy doing something other than customer service. Front desk was awesome, good food recommendations and directions when we needed them, and they were spot on. They had live music in the lobby on the weekend which was a nice treat also. Not sure if this is a regular thing but it was a nice add on for our weekend. Mike's pastries seems to be all the rage but we did not think it was worth getting in line for a sugar fix!

Room Tip: This hotel also has condo's in the buildings so do not expect a room higher than the 2nd floor u...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oakvilleadvisor

Thank you for speaking so highly of our staff. Our colleagues work very diligently to cater to the needs of each and every guest. I am very pleased to learn that your overall impression was a good one. Each guestroom is typically equipped with a Nespresso machine and cartridges, but unfortunately your room was missing one. I do apologize for this and will see to it that pre-arrival inventories/inspections of rooms are more carefully conducted.
I do agree that Faneuil Hall is an impressive marketplace for great restaurants, shopping, and as your experienced, coffee! A fun fact about Faneuil Hall-- it is one of the most visited places in America, welcoming nearly 20 million visitors every year!
I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed an evening of jazz in our lobby lounge. Currently, the musicians play from 9pm until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays which will continue through 2012. As we are seeing our Jazz nights grow in popularity, we are considering adding a third night to the schedule.
I really appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and I will certainly share them with my team so that we are all more aware of how our actions can impact a guest’s experience from the front door service, to the spa, to the concierge. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I am a great fan of Fairmont hotels--I have stayed in many of them in North America but never one quite so new. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, since I'm used to the charm, quirkiness and character of the older properties. Nonetheless, I was sold on the place long before the end of the stay. I arrived at an awkward time--early in the morning and the staff bent over backwards trying to get me into a room in a timely way. The room was great, the views over the harbour were excellent and the staff were helpful and friendly throughout the stay.

I should also say that I loved the neighbourhood that this Fairmont is in-- Boston's little Italy. I wished I had had many more days to walk around and check it out. I certainly will be back at some point to do just that.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nancy M
Hannah C, Marketing Coordinator at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and also for your very positive comments. We are very happy to hear that our staff was able to make your stay as convenient and comfortable as possible. As a fairly recent addition to the Fairmont family, we pride ourselves on having a sleeker look and feel compared to many of the historic Fairmont properties, and we appreciate your willingness to experience a newer side of Fairmont. We do hope that we can welcome you back soon to finish exploring the North End, as it really is one of Boston’s best neighborhoods!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is our family's third stay at this hotel. Used my gift certificates all three times as I doubt if I could afford it otherwise. Absolutely love the location, walking distance to the north end restaurants, beautiful and peaceful view overlooking the harbour. Concierge was very helpful in recommending the restaurants. Usual impeccable Fairmont service from the staff. Internet connection is slow and is not free to President's Club members (as is the case at most Fairmonts). Would be an added bonus to offer free internet. Parking is expensive ($42 for overnight parking), have found other cheaper overnight parking venues, but they don't have the unlimited in and out privileges offered at the Fairmont. The valet staff are very prompt and very courteous. Tried the workout room, very nice. Didn't try the restaurant. Would always stay here if we can.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the harbour.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ReviewsAll
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Traveling with my teenage daughter and booked a one bedroom suite with a President's Club upgrade. The suite was 8 ft ahead from the lobby entrance. The function rooms 10 feet to the right. Breakfast for the conference rooms is set up immediately to the right of the suite door.

As loyal members of the Fairmont brand, we are looking forward to being downgraded to a regular room today.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank rockytravels
Jana_Baseel, General Manager at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We apologize the suite location was not to your liking, it is usually popular with most of our guests. As you may have been already been informed, we have not redeemed your upgrade certificate so that you may utilize it on a future stay. We do hope you are pleased with your second room, and with the hotel overall, and that you and your daughter enjoy the remainder of your stay in Boston. Please feel free to let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.