“Loved this hotel, want to go back!”

Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront
Ranked #37 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We stayed here last July and loved it. The hotel seemed so modern and clean, with the rooms following this trend. It was extra nice to jump off a water taxi and into the hotel complex, nice and easy. We had a view over looking a water inlet too which was nice. Large rooms were very plush and luxurious with a lot of storage, with fantastic beds and nice bathrooms inc walk in multi-shower cubicle and robes etc. Mod cons were a nice touch too with large wall-mounted TV, mini-fridge and Nespresso coffee maker. Had one problem with loud TV/music on first night keeping us up from somewhere, issue was dealt with promptly by security. Staff friendly and helpful. Location ideal if you like the North End, strolling onto Hanover St in seconds and to numerous bakeries/cafes/bars/restaurants. 10-15mins to the harbour and into town so good for that too. Look forward to staying here when next in Boston!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BorderRambler
There are newer reviews for Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront

Reviewed March 22, 2011

Stayed here for just the weekend in the summer last year. Despite the rooms being a little pricey, it's a great hotel.

The first thing that was impressive was the security - there are 5 separate buildings of rooms, and your key card is specific for your building, as well as your floor and obviously your room.

The room was huge, as was the bed which was extremely comfortable, big TV, lovely bathroom. Service was great, everyone very helpful and friendly. The bar is nice too and the food was good. Very cool location too, right on the harbour. Nice and quiet but walk across the street and you're right in the city (don't know much about the layout of Boston but the Aquarium's just up the road along with some great Irish pubs and the famous Beantown Pub!)

The only thing I can say that was slightly annoying was paying quite a lot for both internet and parking - you would think that for the price you're paying for the hotel, both those things would be free or cheaper. But that's the only bad thing I can say!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 21, 2011

My husband and I spent 2 nights here in March. Here is the run down:

The Excellent: The room was amazing! The rain shower head was a nice touch. Very modern with fantastic linen. The tv and its location was perfect. Love that there were wine glasses in the room.

The Good: The service was great. The staff remembered our names from check in. They were very helpful with directions and maps. Their bostonian accents were great too ;) The view is amazing. The location is good but not right downtown.

The not so good: lack of annonimty.........you have to call to get ice as you don't have access to the ice machine yourself. No pool or bathtubs.

The bad: Valet parking only is pretty pricey. One night had coffee and desert in the restaurant.....probably the worst desert we have ever eaten but at least we could laugh about it!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2011

9 of us went to Boston for my 30th birthday from March 17 to March 20. We had a great greeting upon our arrival and were very impressed when we walked into the room. Very spacious, beautiful bathroom, very comfy bed, huge tv, very modern.

The staff was always helping us with directions, reservations, the front door staff always had a smile on there faces greeting us. Made us feel very welcomed.

We had breakfast and Sensing. The food was great but the service even better. Felt very warm.

Location was great for us, near restaurants and sightseeing. We also took the water taxi to the airport which was $10. You just let the front desk know what time you want to go at and they will arrange it for you.

I plan on visiting Boston again and would recommend and stay at the Fairmont Battery Wharf again.

Thanks for a great trip!

Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Just returned from a one night getaway at the Fairmont Battery Wharf. Loved the location, right in the North End of Boston. We had a beautiful sunny 50's day in March and we were able to walk all over the place, including Faneuil Hall and the waterfront. I haven't spent any time in this part of Boston since all the central artery construction has been completed, so it is nice to know that getting around that area is so much more pleasant than it used to be. Check in at the hotel was easy, as they whisked our car away (for $42, but not unexpected). We were able to get into our room early at 12:30 pm which was great. We had a first floor room across the street from the lobby area but were walked over by the front desk clerk so we knew where we were going. No issues with noise for us as some others have commented. The room wasn't huge but it was adequate. The bathroom was nice and large but I was surprised there wasn't a tub. I was also surprised by the towel quality...not soft at all. We were able to open the window which was nice. I noticed there was no clock in the room, which really surprised me. I asked about that upon check out and they said they don't have clocks in most rooms. Seriously??? What hotel room doesn't have a clock?? In any case, the hotel is just a short walk from all the fabulous restaurants and bakeries in the north end, and that is really the highlight of this location. Certainly a very nice stay overall.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I have to agree with the last poster about the noise. Hotel doors slam shut making a loud noise and waking me up. Invest in door silencers! Furthermore, can clearly hear cinversations from the hallway. If there were only another door between the entrance and the bedroom area, this would quiet things down a lot. If you do stay here, make sure the hotel is not fully booked, especiallt with rowdy kids in my case. Brand new does not mean quiet, and modern comforts do not make up for lack of soundproofing and a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank depgirl
Reviewed February 20, 2011

The bottom line is the service is awful!!!!!!

I traveled with my son for 4 days to Boston to see the freedom trail/monuments etc. The Boston Bairmont Battery Wharf had such good reviews I felt we couldn't go wrong. Here are some problems we noticed.

- If you think you are paying for a Harbor View Room you are likely paying for a water view room. We ended up with a view of the wharf and a very heavy sales pitch to upgrade to a nice view of the harbor. Of course that would be another $70. Anyways our harborview room ended up being a view of the coast guard station, no harbor at all. So beware if you think you are getting a view of the harbor.

- Room Service - Food is really really bad and very expensive. The first night we ordered two meals and I received the wrong meal. I ordered the lobster club and was given a lobster roll. I told her this was incorrect, and she said this is what the lobster club looks like now. Unbelievable.

- Bathroom - The bathrooms are nice however ours had a few problems. Our sink faucet literally lifted out of the marble countertop every time you used it. Also there were not many bath products (1 soap, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner).

- Restaurant - "Sensing" is the name of the restaurant. The first morning we dined at sensing, the food was pretty good. They serve your breakfast with a unripened tomato with a strange green topping. Tried it twice and YUCK! They also serve your breakfast with carrots and asparagus (COLD). The bread is also very bad. Servers look very unhappy and understaffed.

That night we tried having in room dining but I was put on hold and staff never picked up the call again. So we walked down to the restaurant and there was no hostess to seat us. We kept waiting and nobody helped us so we returned to the restaurant in an hour and waited to be seated again. We caught the attention of a waitress, asked if there was a hostess who could seat us and she said the hostess is sick tonight and didn't offer to seat us! We went back to our room and finally got through to room service to order two hamburgers. So here is the funny part. No bottle opener was delivered for my diet coke. I called room service and they said someone would deliver one right away. Never came. I went out to the desk after all my ice had melted and they said they are running very low on bottle openers and she would go get her car keys! OMG! Is this really a hotel?

- The noise - When we arrived there was a dog barking out side our window once an hour every hour. Also when the neighbors are using the bathroom is it very very loud.

I could go on and on...

I have never been treated this poorly at a hotel. Bummer

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank pleaseread
FairmontBWB, Manager at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Dear Pleaseread,

Thank you for taking a moment to tell us about your time at The Fairmont Battery Wharf. I am so sorry to hear that you did not have the typical Battery Wharf experience. I would love to discus your stay further over the phone please contact me directly at 617-994-9007 if this is possible.

Again, I am very sorry that your time with us was less than satisfactory and I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,