“Excellent location”

Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront
Ranked #32 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Just returned from a one night getaway at the Fairmont Battery Wharf. Loved the location, right in the North End of Boston. We had a beautiful sunny 50's day in March and we were able to walk all over the place, including Faneuil Hall and the waterfront. I haven't spent any time in this part of Boston since all the central artery construction has been completed, so it is nice to know that getting around that area is so much more pleasant than it used to be. Check in at the hotel was easy, as they whisked our car away (for $42, but not unexpected). We were able to get into our room early at 12:30 pm which was great. We had a first floor room across the street from the lobby area but were walked over by the front desk clerk so we knew where we were going. No issues with noise for us as some others have commented. The room wasn't huge but it was adequate. The bathroom was nice and large but I was surprised there wasn't a tub. I was also surprised by the towel quality...not soft at all. We were able to open the window which was nice. I noticed there was no clock in the room, which really surprised me. I asked about that upon check out and they said they don't have clocks in most rooms. Seriously??? What hotel room doesn't have a clock?? In any case, the hotel is just a short walk from all the fabulous restaurants and bakeries in the north end, and that is really the highlight of this location. Certainly a very nice stay overall.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,600)

Reviewed February 25, 2011

I have to agree with the last poster about the noise. Hotel doors slam shut making a loud noise and waking me up. Invest in door silencers! Furthermore, can clearly hear cinversations from the hallway. If there were only another door between the entrance and the bedroom area, this would quiet things down a lot. If you do stay here, make sure the hotel is not fully booked, especiallt with rowdy kids in my case. Brand new does not mean quiet, and modern comforts do not make up for lack of soundproofing and a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Dep G
Reviewed February 20, 2011

The bottom line is the service is awful!!!!!!

I traveled with my son for 4 days to Boston to see the freedom trail/monuments etc. The Boston Bairmont Battery Wharf had such good reviews I felt we couldn't go wrong. Here are some problems we noticed.

- If you think you are paying for a Harbor View Room you are likely paying for a water view room. We ended up with a view of the wharf and a very heavy sales pitch to upgrade to a nice view of the harbor. Of course that would be another $70. Anyways our harborview room ended up being a view of the coast guard station, no harbor at all. So beware if you think you are getting a view of the harbor.

- Room Service - Food is really really bad and very expensive. The first night we ordered two meals and I received the wrong meal. I ordered the lobster club and was given a lobster roll. I told her this was incorrect, and she said this is what the lobster club looks like now. Unbelievable.

- Bathroom - The bathrooms are nice however ours had a few problems. Our sink faucet literally lifted out of the marble countertop every time you used it. Also there were not many bath products (1 soap, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner).

- Restaurant - "Sensing" is the name of the restaurant. The first morning we dined at sensing, the food was pretty good. They serve your breakfast with a unripened tomato with a strange green topping. Tried it twice and YUCK! They also serve your breakfast with carrots and asparagus (COLD). The bread is also very bad. Servers look very unhappy and understaffed.

That night we tried having in room dining but I was put on hold and staff never picked up the call again. So we walked down to the restaurant and there was no hostess to seat us. We kept waiting and nobody helped us so we returned to the restaurant in an hour and waited to be seated again. We caught the attention of a waitress, asked if there was a hostess who could seat us and she said the hostess is sick tonight and didn't offer to seat us! We went back to our room and finally got through to room service to order two hamburgers. So here is the funny part. No bottle opener was delivered for my diet coke. I called room service and they said someone would deliver one right away. Never came. I went out to the desk after all my ice had melted and they said they are running very low on bottle openers and she would go get her car keys! OMG! Is this really a hotel?

- The noise - When we arrived there was a dog barking out side our window once an hour every hour. Also when the neighbors are using the bathroom is it very very loud.

I could go on and on...

I have never been treated this poorly at a hotel. Bummer

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank pleaseread
FairmontBWB, Manager at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Dear Pleaseread,

Thank you for taking a moment to tell us about your time at The Fairmont Battery Wharf. I am so sorry to hear that you did not have the typical Battery Wharf experience. I would love to discus your stay further over the phone please contact me directly at 617-994-9007 if this is possible.

Again, I am very sorry that your time with us was less than satisfactory and I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Kristen Stabile
Director of Front Office

Reviewed February 12, 2011

This review is long over due but none the less here it is. I have been staying at the Fairmont Battery Wharf since it first opened several years ago. In the summers I am always enchanted by there lovely seaside location. I have stayed in every category of room at the hotel and each is consistent with all basic amenities, from the Eliot suite to the smallest basic fairmont room. I travel weekly and the one thing I look for is consistency , this hotel always reminds me why I choose the Fairmont brand. Nespresso Machines in every room, plush and oversized bath towels ( some room have tubs with bath salts !!! ), luxury rainforest showers , turn down service in every category of room with water!!!! , sirus xm in room with a nice sound system , windows that open , PERFECT beds with soft sheets and oversized pillows and every rooms is clean ( no stains on the carpet or scratched up furniture, this place is maintained)

Room service is outstanding, fast, courteous, and reasonably priced. Desk staff is always smiling and willing to do all they can for you. Emily the gold manager , will always go above and beyond to make your stay that much more enjoyable!

The gold lounge is just stunning. Fireside seating in the winter and outdoor patio space along boston harbor in the summer. The food is delicious and always varying and the wine selection is just right. Breakfast is hot and bountiful. I highly recommend the gold if you are spending more then a night at the hotel.

The location is a bit out of the way for downtown attractions but for this type of quality it is worth the $10 cab ride to go downtown.

The Boston harbor suites are ideal for meetings, small get togethers , or that pre wedding reception. The patio space is phenomenal for lounging on a summer afternoon with a cold beer ! It's not HUGE but it has that just right feel.

I can not wait to try there new spa opening this month !

Working in high end travel I have a very discerning eye and this hotel always meets and exceeds my expectations.

Ryan S.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank cramerproduction
FairmontBWB, Manager at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2011

Dear Ryan S.,

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review about our hotel! It has been a pleasure having you as our guest from the beginning. We read all reviews and appreciate feedback from all of our guests.

We are all filled with anticipation for the Exhale Spa opening and are counting down the days! Thank you again for reviewing The Fairmont Battery Wharf and the team is looking forward to having you back again!

Regards,

Kristen Stabile
Director of Front Office

Reviewed February 9, 2011

Stayed at the Fairmont Battery Wharf for 3 nights in early February. Great location, close to everything. Took the water taxi from the airport for $20 and took a taxi back to the airport for $20, so either way, easy to get to and cheap.

Didn't try any of the food at the hotel as prices are fairly high, however using grubhub.com had food delivered to the hotel.

Rooms were cleaned impeccably, and the staff was always willing to answer a question or help out with anything they could.

We'll definitely be back when the weather's a little better!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Perhaps I expected too much, but this Fairmont was just ok. The decor definitely isn't my taste, which I can easily ignore (too modern, sharp, etc.). There were just a myriad of small things that didn't meet my expectations from a Fairmont.

Nice location - close to North End, decent water views, definitely quiet, but really that's all it seems to have going for it - no luxury, no style, just a hotel. And for those prices, that doesn't cut it.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2011

This hotel is absolutely fabulous. I've only ever stayed in the Gold Rooms, but the Gold Concierge (John & Ishan) are both great, the breakfast, evening apps, and evening desserts are also fantastic.

The rooms are luxuriously appointed and the views are nice. The hotel is a bit down Commercial Street, within the North End, but with walking distance to Faneuil and Govt. Ctr. Anywhere else, you'll probably need to use the T/drive/cab.

Great rooms at a great price! Definitely recommend it over their sister in Copley Place. Also, free internet in your room if you're in the President's Club (free enrollment online).

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple