“Parting was such sweet sorrow!”

Clarendon Square Inn
Ranked #3 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 10, 2006

We booked a stay in the Clarendon Square Inn as a surprise for my fiance's 40th birthday. Another couple, friends of ours, booked it with me.

The accommodation was in a gorgeous neighbourhood, very conveniently located and was housed in a beautiful brick building. The interior was sumptuous and we all loved the combination of modern and contemporary with smatterings of personal touches here and there.

Our rooms were delightful and, as promised, we had champagne and a birthday card waiting for us. Even the toiletries in the bathrooms had been covered in the fantastic attention to detail.

Breakfast was a serene and culinary pleasure. Everything was so fresh and wonderfully presented; a great selection of teas and coffees, fresh bread, conserves, cheese, meats and juices.

The reception and treatment we received during our stay was exemplary and made us feel very welcome. It really enhanced our stay.

Finally, but by no means least, is the rooftop hot tub. One only glimpses the hot tub on the website very briefly. The actual experience was awe inspring. We were all left dumbstruck as we stepped up and turned around. The view of the city is AMAZING!

I would recommend the Clarendon Square Inn to someone wanting to stay in a beautiful city and not want to stay in 'yet another chain hotel'. I would also say that this is a perfect location for special occasions and is in close proximity to some excellent night spots and restaurants. All-in-all a fantastic experience.

I can't wait to go back again!

4  Thank Cheryl74
There are newer reviews for Clarendon Square Inn

Reviewed April 10, 2006

Wow, what an amazing place! I almost don't want to write a good review, to ensure that it remains a secret!! We adored the beautiful decor while our hosts made us feel incredibly welcome. My favourite thing? Chatting at breakfast with all the interesting and eclectic mix of guests about life, the universe and everything. Or was it hopping around in the snow on the roof to get into the hot tub? Or maybe coming in after a night out to see all the tea lights on the dining table and feeling that I had come home? I can't choose! Just Thank you, for a wonderful holiday. We will be back!!

Thoroughly satisfied of Thames Ditton, England.

4  Thank Mummy2isla
London, UK
Reviewed April 3, 2006

Clarendon Square Inn is a lovely old red-bricked 'guesthouse' in a wonderful area of Boston, a city lots of people had previously told me was all concrete and inaccessible
The CSI experience is akin to living for a few days in an authentic Boston dwelling, with beautiful classic furnishings. There are great restaurants and bars nearby too.
The rooms are wonderfully comfortable and we are distraught that we didn't have time to visit the rooftop jacuzzi!
COmmunal breakfasts around a beautiful old wooden dining table may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the overall effect of 'staying with friends' rather than at a hotel was great for us.

• Stayed: November 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pershore, Worcestershire, England.
Reviewed March 29, 2006

Stephen and Jimmy couldn't have been more welcoming or helpful and provided us with really useful tips about the places we were visiting, how to get around and advice about local restaurants (which all proved excellent).
Importantly for me, breakfast was a meal to look forward to - to take at leisure, no rush, good quality and considerably more choice than the usual (European) continental breakfast.
The house has been extensively rennovated and the decoration is exquisitely tasteful - we were very comfortable and felt most spoilt.
I have no reservations about recommending Clarendon Square.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 22, 2006

As soon as you enter Clarendon, you are welcomed to hospitality, civility and luxury--all in the foyer. Each room of the house has been wonderfully arranged, presenting a very modern, yet inviting space, with artwork lining every wall and warm, relaxing paints.

When my wife and I arrived to the house, Jim was very eager to help us, carrying the luggage up the stairs, and every morning he inquired of our plans, whether he could give directions, or make a reservation at a local restaurant, which he quickly pointed out to us. Kind and catering, Jim provided us with a sense of security, with his wonderful sense of humor to match his expertise in communication. The rooms themselves were, surprisingly, the rooms presented on the website, which I find to be incredible rare.

With the charm of the Inn, as well as the impecible staff, our weekend stay was simple marvelous. Clarendon is worth every cent. Oh, as a side note, share a chocolate muffin with someone else; they're quite filling.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NY, New York
Reviewed March 20, 2006

The Clarendon Square was even better than I expected. My wife and I stayed there for 2 nights, and though we spent a lot of time in the city, we enjoyed every single minute in this beautiful house.

The two hosts are very friendly and extremely helpful. As one review mentions, they helped us with our luggage, showed us to our room, and everything was just perfect. Each room has its own style and the decor of each has been done very tastefully (not your Hilton or Marriott with those unappealing artwork, furniture, and bed covers). It is amazing to think that all these curtains, sheets, duvet cover, paintings, sinks... were picked so carefully.

It felt like being in a luxurious hotel, but with all this extra detail, the intimate atmosphere, and the friendly breakfasts you can have with other guests.

The hot tub on the rooftop is just great, we went with below freezing temperatures outside and stayed in it for a while, with nice views of the city.

The breakfast is not your average continental self-serve, it is very tasty and healthy. We had different place settings each morning (on Wedgewood china!), great tasting coffee, juices, poppy-seed cake, many kinds of healthy cereal, yogurt, ham, cheese, fancy jam, nutella, hard boiled eggs...

One floor is this big living room with all kinds of great books, DVDs you can watch in your room.

We stayed in two different rooms, one "regular" room, and the suite. If you have the opportunity, definitely try to stay in the suite. It is amazing. We could not believe it. It was so beautiful, a dream bathroom, a stereo system with speakers in different areas of the suite, a beautiful bath tub, two sinks, a separate double shower. The artwork was really great throughout. The regular room (the classic looking one on the website) was very different, but great as well.

The location is great too. The South End is pretty and quiet, and it felt like paradise coming from NYC. It is steps from the Back Bay and many restaurants.

I think the Clarendon Square Inn should not be compared to other B&B's or hotel. It sets a new standard.

• Stayed: March 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 18, 2006

My wife an I stayed here on a conference trip in February. I wanted to pay extra for something really good and this was worth every cent. It made a huge difference to stay in something that wasn't an anonymous hotel room and still be central and near the conference center (in this case, the Hynes).

The place is slightly hard to find, being tucked in one of the Back Bay closes but the directions were helpful and the residentail location meant that it was beautifully quiet. A problem had occurred with our travel and I had to arrive a night late after my wife had already travelled. However we felt it was the perfect place to end up in an unfamiliar city, and they allowed our friends to visit us in the B&B drawing room.

The rooms are really well appointed with regular refurbishment. The rooms were very clean and felt fresh on arrival. The decor is not too IKEA which is good - the place is a classy boutique hotel really.

The breakfast was excellent, and not overwhelming, and sitting with the other guests was a joy. The place is clearly suited to singles and couples, and the steep stairs mean you have to be relatively fit too. However, it's in the right area for late drinks and good food, and not too far from Copley or the MFA.

We didn't stay long enough to play the piano or use the hot tub, so it will definitely be top of our list for our next stay in Boston.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business