“A wonderful Valentine's night”

Clarendon Square Inn
Ranked #2 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I want to thank the staff at the Clarendon Sq Inn for making my stay there one of the most romantic nights I have had in a long long time!! I recently spent a night there, my boyfriend surprised me with a night out to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants in the South End and then asked to walk a little bit after dinner. We ended up at the front door of the inn. I was shocked and even more surprised when I got up to our beautiful suite, with a beautiful view of the City skyline and when I thought it could not get any better my boyfriend took me up to the roof where there was a jacuzzi waiting for us! Everything was perfect! When I woke in the morning I walked downstairs to a beautiful buffet of muffins, pastry, fruit, juice and coffee. There were other guests sitting around a table enjoying the morning. The woman working realized I wanted to enjoy my breakfast and coffee in bed, without a word she produced a tray and I was off to my room to enjoy the rest of the morning.
I want to thank the staff for helping making this a special night, they let my bf in earlier in the day so he could put flowers and balloons all over the room.
It was a great great night from start to finish!
Thank you and hope to see you again soon,
B

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Pros:
It's the best hotel I've ever stayed in, by a very long way.
Cons:
Every hotel I stay in from now on will seem drab by comparison.

I chose Clarendon Square because I was surprising my girlfriend with a trip up to Boston to ask her to marry me. I contacted the staff by email with some special requests, and they responded quickly and efficiently, making every effort to accomodate us.
Our stay itself was heavenly - upon arrival we were greeted by a charming host, who gave us the benefit of his incredible knowledge of the local area. The room itself nearly blew us away: every feature was decorated tastefully, and was spacious and comfortable. The amenities were equally incredible - not least the rooftop hottub with stunning views of Boston!
When we woke up the next morning, we were treated to a delicious breakfast - cheeses, meats, pastries, several juices, granola, breads, fruits and much more. All told, we were very upset that we had to leave.

For an exceptionally reasonable price, we had one of the finest nights of our lives. And - most importantly of all, my girlfriend (now fiancee) said yes!
Every time I return to Boston, I will return to Clarendon Square. If you go there once, you'll never want to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: I had the Suite, and it was beyond exquisite, but every single room is remarkable. Don't miss th...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013

It is natural to think big city, big hotel, but I suggest doing the opposite. The Clarendon Square Inn allows you to live among the locals in a beautiful neighborhood of brownstones. The living room with its bold and beautiful artworks is a room worth spending time in. The decor of our room had a soothing quality to it. If you enjoy genuine personal service this is the place for you.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We made reservations for a 3 day stay to visit our son in Boston. Unfortunately, this was the weekend of winter storm Nemo that caused record-level snowfall on the Eastern seaboard, and the disruption in travel prevented us from making it to Boston as scheduled. When we called Clarendon Square to discuss our options once the weather situation became clear, we were told that their 10:00 am 48-hour cancellation policy is strictly enforced (despite the fact that we called approximately 2-3 hours after this deadline had passed, but still >48 hours from our scheduled arrival time). We corresponded with Stephen Gross, one of the owners, who told us that he was sorry but that we should have purchased travel insurance (which they offer and you must decline). We offered to forego our deposit or perhaps a night's lodging, but subsequent emails to discuss this were not answered. Our credit card was then charged for $631.68 - the entire amount for our scheduled stay that never occurred despite the fact that travel to Boston was impossible.

In our opinion, the insensitivity and inflexibility demonstrated by Clarendon Square violates the Bed & Breakfast 'spirit' that makes them special because of their informality and focus on the personal circumstances of the guests. Enforcing strict and unreasonable (under the circumstances) contractual requirements reflects behavior that might be expected at a hotel or motel, but certainly not at a botique inn.

This interaction with Clarendon Square was both disappointing and disheartening, and we are therefore unable to recommend Clarendon Square to anyone, and suggest that the buyer beware if you are considering staying there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Philip M
clarendonsquare, Owner at Clarendon Square Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Thank you for sharing your concerns with our cancellation policies and how they are applied.
As small business owners we put so much effort into making sure everything is just right for you at Clarendon Square including a fair and equitable cancellation policy. We believe we operate within the B&B spirit of hospitality, but the guest as well as the business, must be bound by the booking agreement. In this particular situation we were very flexible with our policies and were sensitive to all of our guests needs, specifically offering to accommodate a day earlier or day later arrival to each. All who made the effort arrived either arrived before the storm or one day later with ease. Snow is common in New England and our service crews are quick to clear the roads and airport. As is typical, the first storm of the year gets huge media hype which can cause angst. Nevertheless, our guests had a relaxing and picturesque weekend with fresh snow outside and hot chocolate in the dining room. We agree it is upsetting that your travel plans were interrupted. Your review does not mention that because of the severity of the storm, we broke our standard policies and offered to waive the costs associated with the day of road closures. With 15 years in business, we have a enviable track record of guest satisfaction. Yes, it may seem impossible to make everybody happy but we still make every attempt to do so. We apologize that your concerns could not be addressed before the severity of the storm was known. But we honestly hope that you will contact our staff, keep the lines of communication open and allow us to resolve this for you. If you will give us another chance, we think you will join the others who have enjoyed a marvelous time at Clarendon Square.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I had a weekend getaway in Boston. A city we visit relatively often both for business and pleasure.

Let me start with the positive aspects of the property.

We were booked in the Luxury Suite which is just as it appears on their website. The room was large with a queen size bed, sitting area and three windows that face the front of the inn and the lovely street below. The closet was huge. We had ample room to store our luggage and winter gear.
The room had a mini frig that was kept very cold. (great for soda and water) They also had an additional wine refrigerator.
The bathroom was large with double sinks, a bathtub that fit two comfortably, a large shower with two shower heads and a water closet. They provide robes but not slippers.

As other reviewers have said the rooftop hot tub was a real bonus. The temperature of the tub was perfect and the view was great.

The continental breakfast was good and presented well. Mia, our host for much of our weekend, was a delight.

A few of the issues we had with the Inn

If you want coffee before 8:00 am, you're out of luck. My husband was told by Stephen, one of the owners, that he would have to walk to Starbucks if he wanted coffee before 8. Granted it was only a 4 minute walk, but when the temperature is in the single digits, it sucks!! Navigating slippery sidewalks and opening doors with two coffees in tow was challenging..... A Keurig set up in the dining room would have been a thoughtful addition.

Not wanting to wake me, my early riser husband went to the common areas in the house to read.
Unfortunately the rooms were so cold, he had to wear his down coat.

The morning we were leaving my husband was warming car, the owner walked out with me to see if we could navigate the tight parking area...... I was carrying a good size piece of luggage and was not offered assistance..... I would have welcomed the help.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank 59Wandering
clarendonsquare, General Manager at Clarendon Square Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Dear Wandering.
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are thrilled that you enjoyed many aspects of the property including the luxury suite, our manager Maia, breakfast and the hot tub. We are happy that they met your expectations. I understand clearly from your message that warm hospitality is paramount, and we agree. Please let me apologize that one of our owners did not offer to carry your bag. This is not like him and I can only imagine there was something distracting him at the time. We often dash outside, even in chilling weather, to assist a guest departing from our parking area. This is no excuse, but I can only imagine getting to your husband quickly was a distraction. Regarding other aspects of your stay, we welcome new ideas and suggestions for improvement. Based on your comments, we have changed our thermostat set-back time to accommodate those who might wake before 6 am. We have offered pre-breakfast coffee in the past, but we had to discontinue this service from early risers disturbing other guests while in the dining room and kitchen. Once again putting ideas to work, we adapted our procedures to meet the needs of our TripAdvisor commentators. Thank you again for your suggestions, we do hope you will come and stay with us again soon. And please, just leave that bag on the floor, we will be more than happy to get it for you, and if you want coffee at anytime, find a way to have it delivered to you.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We spent 2 nights in this little slice of heaven. We stayed in the luxury suite and can't recommend it highly enough. The decor sets the atmosphere with stylish, charming and warm design throughout. The giant bath tub in our room was such a bonus and was only exceed by the roof top hot tub!!

Each morning a delicious breakfast is served downstairs where you can catch-up with your fellow guests while eating fresh fruit, muffins, cheese and more.

The location is perfect as it is walking distance from any bars or restaurants you want to visit. Even a cab to the Museum of Fine Arts is only $7.

If you are coming to Boston for a weekend, I'd recommend staying here over a hotel. Much more intimate, much more friendly and above all, much more friendly!

To summarize: Perfect Location. Perfect Atmosphere. Perfect Hosts. Oh yeah - and a ROOF TOP HOT TUB :)!

Room Tip: Try mixing up your plans. For example, if you are going to go to the MFA, leave your afternoon or ev...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed in mid-December and the Clarendon Square Inn was warm, cozy, and decorated beautifully for the holidays.
We had a two- night stay and wish it could have been longer. The rooms were inviting, service impeccable, food was top- notch.
We took walks through the city, and everything was nearby and accessible.
After a long day, the rooftop hot tub provided an amazing view and was the highlight, despite the cold weather.
I will always stay here. Go see for yourself and you will be as happy as we were. Every detail was perfect.

• Stayed: December 2012