“Gateway to an interesting part of Boston”

The Inn At St Botolph
Ranked #57 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Obviously its a very unusal hotel with some drawbacks. You get codes in advance to admit you to the building and your room. You park a few blocks away under the Prudential Building. You need someone to mind the car while you unload luggage. The room itself was splendidly decorated. it was like living in a magazine article on creative and economical decoration of small apartments. We had a nice living area, lavishly equipted kitchenette and reasonalbly sized bedroom. The closet is tiny as is the bathroom. Those last two factors could make it undesirble for some. The basement lounge where the rudimentary breakfast is served is depressing and to be avoided but there are great places in the neighborhood and the kitchenette would serve the purpose of providing light meals as well. The is a grocery store directly across the streef for coffee, newspapers, pastry etc. So why such a good overall grade? Because its right in the middle of one of Boston's relatively undiscovered treasures: The South End. A great neighborhood to explore with more than its share of shopping restaurant and entertainment options. St. Botolphs cant compete with four star hotels on services and convenience but no four star hotel in Boston can make you a temeporary resident of The South End.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Inn At St Botolph

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend and was pleasantly surprised. After canvassing all of the big-named hotels in Boston and suffering from serious sticker-shock on the room rates, I decided to try something different. Did I really need a 24-hour front desk with concierge? Would I really miss a restaurant and bar onsite? Could I exist without room service? For this trip, I decided that I could forego these things and instead spend my money on very comfortable lodgings in a great part of town. The St Botolph delivered on these items and definitely exceeded my expectations. First, the location is one block from the Prudential Center T stop and cabs can be found at the Marriott 2 blocks away (for that reason I never needed to call a cab). The street is quiet and there's a 7-11 right across the street for basic necessities. The building is gorgeous; historic, brick with pretty window boxes. I had a suite (one category higher than the cheapest room) and while the rooms were small, they were smartly decorated and very clean. The bed was incredibly comfortable, the shower had tons of pressure with lots of towels and the small kitchenette was great for making morning coffee.

I always judge a property on how problems are handled (things always come up; no place is perfect). In my case, I heard some loud (and rather bizarre) music wafting through the walls into the bedroom at 1:00 am. I pressed "0" on the phone (not sure where it would go) and someone did answer and took care of the problem. I didn't think anyone was even onsite! So the hotel definitely passed that important test.

They do provide maid service (they refer to it as a "light cleaning") so long as you either hang a card outside your front door by 10:00 pm the night before or contact the office. I forgot to hang out the card and didn't feel like calling so no big deal. I looked at it as though I was staying at a wealthy single friend's apartment in Boston for the weekend who was out of town; once I was in that mindset, I didn't mind making my bed in the morning, cleaning the cup from my coffee, etc. (and I could have had these things had I just called the office and asked for housekeeping). It definitely beat staying at a non-descript boxy room at the Marriott or Westin down the street and paying at least 30% more. I will definitely return!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank gallesram
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Simply not a place to recommend. Believe all the great reviews at your own risk.
Not a good experience on any level. Details? OK.
We began and ended our New England vacation in Boston this past week. Our first hotel (The Langham) was great in just about everyway possible. Our last night was at The Inn at St. Botolph and one long night it was. For $350.00+ a night we expected a well-appointed hotel with good service. Neither existed the day of our visit. The room was cheaply furnished and only somewhat clean. It had excessive street noise and noise from other guest rooms through thin walls. Though it had air-conditioning the vents blew air directly onto the sitting area and on the bed leaving no place to hide. We needed assistance upon departure to get a cab but there was no one in the office and we could not reach anyone on the phone. And forget about the "included" breakfast. The was none by the time we left at 7:45 am.
I could go on. I am simply amazed that this place has so many positive reviews.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael W
tdesisto, General Manager at The Inn At St Botolph, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Inn @ St. Botolph. We apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory.

Our rooms have all custom designer furniture and fabrics, and we have Frette robes, Filidoro sheets and Matouk towels. The rooms have a full kitchenette, 42'' high definition flat screen tv with DirectTV, and a bathroom with a rain shower. We feel that our rooms are anything but "cheaply furnished."

Each guest room has it's own thermostat, so that our guests can determine how hot or cold they would like their rooms to be. The vents for the heating and airconditioning do not blow directly over the bed or the sofa.

We apologize that you missed breakfast on your day of departure. Our staff member had a medical emergency, and it took some time to get another employee on site. This is obviously an anomally and we would be happy to offer you a credit for your inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have any questions, or if there is anything that we can do to assist you.

Thank you againg for your stay and your feedback.

Best Regards,

Tom

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We recently spent 6 nights in this excellent hotel on our recent stay in Boston. Situated in a lovely leafy area, 5 mins from the Prudential Building/T station. Also has a 7 Eleven across the road for convenience. A very adequate breakfast of cereals/muffins/ bagels/ yogurts / fruit juice are available. Just enough to set you up for the day. We stayed in a spacious Studio on the first floor, which was beautiful. It has a very compact kitchen area with everything you would need. We didn't cook but it was handy for a tea / coffee. The staff are exceptionally good. Jessica and the girls are very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much bother. We mentioned a trip to Salem and we received a print out of times for ferries and trains. I would definately stay here again and definately recommend it. Much better than a large hotel. Also free internet access. The keyless entry is also excellent, No keys to bother about.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Yokerite,

Thank you for choosing the Inn @ St. Botolph and sharing your feed back!

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to assisting you in the future! I will make sure that Jessica and the girls see this at our next staff meeting.

Please let us know if you have any questions, or if there is anything that we can do to assist you with your next trip to Boston.

Best Regards,

Tom

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We wanted a short stay apartment in Boston and found the Inn at St Botolph. The room was a large one bedroom with seperate living area and full kitchen, all well decorated and close to all Boston attractions and the T station, there was a breakfast room with cereals, bagels and we were able to grab a juice/snack throughout the day.They email a code to enter your room instead of a key system but this was easy to use. We required a second bed and used their self inflating bed in the living room which was comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SA29
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 9 nights on our recent trip to Boston. For the first 6 nights we had the accessible studio suite on the first floor, then after a few nights in Provincetown we returned to the Inn and had a smaller studio suite on the second floor. Both rooms were spacious and lovely. The accessible suite has a jetted tub which I made use of and enjoyed. The other room had a shower stall which was fine. We loved the look of this hotel and decor in the rooms. We also loved the kitchenette as we were able to make some of our own meals and refrigerate milk for coffee, wine, snacks etc. The continental breakfast was fairly basic but did the trick (yogurt, juice, English muffins).
Location is perfect - just around the corner from the T, shopping, restaurants and a 24 hour grocery store. It is also walking distance to Fenway park where we spent much of our trip.
One thing that did annoy us was the lack of maid service. You have to request housekeeping for short stays. I understand that this is an effort to be more environmentally friendly and I don't need my sheets and towels changed every day but it would be nice to have the garbage changed, especially since we did some cooking ourselves so we did produce some mess in the kitchen. We requested housekeeping one night around 10 pm and they didn't come clean our room until about 6 pm the next day, so when we returned to the room after our days's activities we had to wait for the room to be cleaned. It would have been nice if it had been done while we were out during the day.
We would return to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank meghanjoy
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just stayed at the Inn again (9/5-9/10) and one again my stay was wonderful! I was there for work and fun with my husband joining me for a long weekend and the Inn could not have been more perfect. Can't beat the location or the comfortable rooms or kind and helpful staff - will absolutely be back on my next trip into Boston. Thanks everyone at the Inn - you outdid yourselves once again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business