“Found a new home in the Millennium Bostonian”

The Bostonian Boston
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have been vacationing in Boston for the past 11 years, the hotel that I normally stay at is now a high end (read out of my price range!) hotel, and I was forced last year and this year to seek new lodgings. I have found a new "home" in the Millennium.

My room was on the 6th floor, Room 609 facing Quincy Market. It had a very small, about 3 feet by 2 feet, balcony with window box complete with live Geraniums. It was just large enough for 2 people and to take some really nice photos from.

The room itself was quite large, and included a separate changing area/make up area off of the bathroom which is where the closet was as well (see photos). Very nice to have this extra space. The armoire in the room contained a flat screen TV and a stocked mini bar.
Unfortunately, the mini bar was the kind that were you to remove anything to put your own item(s), you would be charged immediately. In order to get ice, you have to call room service - odd. So it's free, but you would need to tip room service I would think, thus making it not free? Wifi isn't free (but in these days with Smartphone's, that is rather a moot point). The cleaning staff starts very early in the morning ... when I awoke at 8:05 A.M. there was a note under my door telling me that they were unable to service my room and I needed to call Housekeeping. This happened every morning, the latest I awoke was 8:30 A.M. The bathroom had a very large shower with fantastic water pressure.

The layout of the hotel is kind of odd, there are many angles and it is almost like a maze on the floors where the rooms are, the elevator was quite a distance from my room. Not a complaint, just pointing it out. The view from my room was great (see photos) but this may be slightly better in Rooms 634, 641, and 642 as they are in a different part of the hotel and would seem to have a full view of the Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall area.

Location - fantastic. There is a T stop just a half block away, you are 2 blocks from the North End, Quincy Market and Fanueil Hall are almost outside the door. There is Valet parking and doormen that open the door every single time you come or go. They were all extremely nice as was everyone I encountered in the hotel.

If I had to complain, it would be minor complaints. The inability to get your own ice, inability to use the fridge, and the very early Housekeeping staff. The first morning I called and got a recording telling me to leave a message, the 2nd morning I did get a person and they sent someone within 30 minutes to clean the room. I only stayed 2 nights. Lack of free Wifi. Again, these are very minor complaints and would not deter me from staying here again. I look forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor facing Quincy Market
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank BostonRae
RobertRivers, General Manager at The Bostonian Boston, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Senior Contributor,

Thank you for your review and I enjoyed reading your perspective on our hotel and services and will share with my team.

Our commitment to product and service, and future services, relies on input from experienced travelers, such as yourself. For some time we have contemplated self-service ice machines in the guest corridors and still debate this practice. Our goal is to insure staff interaction with the guest so as to continue the Four Diamond experience, however todays' traveler is more time sensitive and this may be an inevitable.

Our housekeeping team does start early mid-week, to accommodate a strong business traveler base and uses the service recognition card so that our leisure guests are not disturbed by early knocking. It was reassuring to read that this practice is in place and consistently applied during your two night stay.

As you have found your new home in Boston, if I can ever be of assistance with a future reservation, or hand select a view on your behalf, please contact my office direct.

rrivers@mill-usa.com
617.557.3601

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Just wanted to give a shout out for the Millennium Hotel in Boston in the Marketplace. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The room was excellent and very clean and had good appointments. The hotel is also conveniently located within walking distance of the Marketplace, downtown Boston and many great restaurants. The hotel restaurant may be small but it provides a excellent menu and bar.

Room Tip: I don't think you can make a bad choice. choose based on your preference of high, middle or low...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
RobertRivers, General Manager at The Bostonian Boston, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Contributor,

Thank you for your 'shout' to offer a review of our Millennium Bostonian location and our team will appreciate the recognition.

Location is a key factor with any hotel stay and surely this hotels' address is unsurpassed when visiting for business or leisure, or even a combination. Our team realizes that location is only one part of the guest experience and service must surpass the expectation, thus we favor your comment and will share with our associates.

We hope that your next visit to Boston will include Millennium Bostonian, and if for any reason an accommodation is not available, please call me direct.

617.557.3601

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed here one night for business. Room was fine but no view (brick wall). Close to various restaurants and shops (Fanuiel Hall area). Charge for WIFI. Hotels should offer free wireless to guests (even a basic Marriott Courtyard offers free wireless). Minor complaint was there were few taxi's (usually they're lined up outside of hotels)... 20 minute wait, and that was after they called for one. Might stay again, but there are many other hotels in Boston area to choose from.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
RobertRivers, General Manager at The Bostonian Boston, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Top Contributor,

Thank you for your recent stay and it is unfortunate that your view was not of one of Boston's iconic landmarks.

Enrollment into our M&C Loyalty Club program will alleviate any HSIA charge as it is complimentary to members, as are upgrades to Superior Rooms. As with any downtown hotel, not every accommodation has a perfect view and upon request our team is always willing to honor, space available.

Our goal is to continue to offer services equal to that of our competitors, or greater, and HSIA continues to be a guest amenity that is debated. However, we continue to monitor trends in this market and will evaluate going forward.

As your trip was business related, and if returning to Boston, please contact my office and I will personally select your accommodation and provide a pass for your HSIA.

Again, thank you for your visit,

Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was the third hotel in a week long business trip to Boston.

Let me start by staying that is a very modern, upscale hotel located in the Faneuil Hall area just around the corner from Quincy Market. Located about 3 miles from Logan Airport, it's in the touristy area of the city and is similar in class to a Fairmont type hotel - not boutique but better than average, The rooms are spacious in nature and have:
- large comfortable king size bed
- a very good AC system
- plenty of pillows
- flat screen TV
- a small hallway leading to the bathroom and closet. there is also a separate vanity for sitting at

The bathrooms contain trough like sinks with rainfall shower heads, body wash hose attachment and spacious tubs. It also comes with above average bath products including mouth wash which you generally don't see any more.

However along those same lines, it's also:
- pricey. there were Fiji water bottles at $6+ dollars
- the internet is $10 plus if you use the computer in the lobby, you also have to pay usage charge as well. (You do get 15 free minutes to print out a plane ticket)
- parking runs around $45
- the bar fridge is wired in such a manner that if you move even one item, you are charged automatically for it
- there is no shuttle service but the hotel is always glad to call a cab

Front staff desk was not particularly friendly but not unfriendly either - just business like although it appears a few employees may have a bit of an "attitude". There is free coffee in the morning along with bowl full of fruit. There is also free lemonade in the evening. Access to Quincy Market is only a few minutes away. There are numerous restaurants but my suggestion is to head toward the North end where you will locate many fine Italian restaurants (similar to the Hill area in St. Louis). There is also a CVS there where you can find much cheaper water options than the Fiji bottles in the room. My biggest complaint is the TV which is rather small and the remote control which does not work particularly well.

So what's overall thought? This is a decent modern hotel which I would stay at again however you have to keep you expectations in line. It's not an Embassy suites or the Courtyard so if you understand this and accept the concept of everything is expensive in this location then you will have a great stay.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, then head toward the back
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ERRANTTRAVELERE
Reviewed May 31, 2013

First time in this hotel and for sure i'll be back.
Great location, everything easy to reach. The hotel is truly confortable and very silent even if located in a busy area. Wonderful room, and a great comfortable bed. Very big bathroom, and a spot every woman will like...the make up corner, with a big mirror and a small one for particulars.
I've tried also room service, and may confirm the general opinion on the hotel.
Loved the experience, thanks a lot!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Orlando14
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Clean, staff is attentive, restaurant and service good, - be careful of the in room service bar (you will be charged whether you took something or not), Access to Boston area attractions and the Government Center Plaza - RIDICULOUS! Family, single, and business friendly...

Room Tip: Fanuel Hall View
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
RobertRivers, General Manager at The Bostonian Boston, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Recent Guest,

We at Millennium Bostonian appreciate your comments and sharing your stay with TripAdvisors online audience.

Our premier location, combined with a fresh product and willing staff, continues to receive praise, however our focus towards guest service is never left unattended.

Boston announced this week that the music fest held at City Hall Plaza this past week will again be offered in September. Thus, we hope to see you again in just 4 months.

Again, thank you,

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is clean, pleasant, stylish, attractively furnished, and, above all, in a great location right across from Quincy Market and a short walk to the waterfront and the North End. It is also reasonably priced--by Boston standards. The only downside is loud music coming from the nearby clubs at certain times of the day. Bring earplugs and/or ask where the quietest room is. We had a great time visiting all of the above-mentioned places, and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Senior Reviewer,

My team and I appreciate you taking time to share comments from your recent visit to Boston and Millennium Bostonian Hotel!

We recognize that this hotel's location, amongst Bostons most treasured landmarks, is a benefit for our guests and we stress equal importance on product and service. Our guests, like yourself, are seeking a balance of value, location and memorable experiences and we remain focused on meeting those expectations.

If your travels return you to Boston, feel free to send me a note so that I might assist wtih your reservation request .