“Great location and a real value given amenities”

The Bostonian Boston
Ranked #28 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great location and a real value given amenities”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at this property for a trip to visit family and friends during Christmas time. The following was noteworthy:

-The property is located across the street from Faneuil hall. It is a high end Boston hotel, but with competitive rates (especially during the Christmas season, as it caters more to the business crowd than to tourists). We paid $143 per night for a weekday stay.
-The room was reasonably spacious with a quite large walk-in closet. The bathroom was in outstanding condition and featured a huge glassed-in shower (noting there was no bath tub). We had a small balcony - just large enought for someone to walk out in and catch a glimpse of the surroundings.
-Regarding our specific room, we were over the front door and its associated valet area. As a result, it was quiet but it had no view to speak of (we were in room # 631). Also, the room was quite warm, even with the heat off (this was December).
-We greatly enjoyed the sitting room / library which was off of the main lobby. There were many interesting books to read and a cozy fireplace. There was also complimentary Starbucks coffee in the morning and apple cider in the afternoon.
-Service was attentive; the front desk offered me an umbrella upon my arrival during a rain storm. The bellhops were helpful as well.
-Minor negatives include no swimming pool and no coffee in the lobby after 9am. There is only one restaurant attached to the property but, again, the site is across the street from Faneuil Hall.
-Overall, we were impressed with Millenium Bostonian's amenities and services, especially in light of the competitive rates.

Room Tip: We were in room # 631 - it was very quiet but had no view. Also, it was quite warm in the room even...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Tiverton, RI
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I want to thank the management and staff at the Bostonian for the excellent experience and we had celebrating my 60th birthday last week. We had several family members and friends stay for several days to share in the celebration.

Ten years ago we celebrated my 50th birthday at your hotel and I thought nothing could top that experience. This stay proved me wrong. The hotel staff made all of us feel pampered in every way.

Thank you for the beautiful roses, champagne and goodies delivered to our room on my birthday. My sister and her husband also celebrated their 47th wedding anniversary during our stay and appreciated the same personal touch when they returned to their room on their anniversary.

I look forward to future stays at your hotel. Thank you and your staff again for helping us create some wonderful memories during our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We spent our Christmas holidays here and could not have been more pleased. Walking distance to the North End scene, essentially next door to Quincy Market and, close to the T, making access to the entire city a snap without having a car (and paying parking). Large (at least by some downtown hotel standards), clean, large shower, etc. made our stay comfortable. We ate 4 meals in the restaurant as well and found it to have good food and good service too. Countless restaurants and bars close by. Courteous staff rounded out our experience, one we will recommend to others. Agree with others on the internet charges; also the fitness room is a bit small for this size property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The trip to the Bostonian was a gathering to celebrate the 60th birthday of my aunt. In total over a five day stay the number of guests and varying night stays by all, would equal about a thirty three night stay. Not sure how my dear uncle made out with that, but it was his very thoughtful gift to his wife and all of the family and friends included in this stay.
One piece of luggage was left in cab as door man quickly transferred our luggage from cab to lobbies, (a number of other guests complained of same happening to their bags) than disappeared to rooms we had not occupied yet?? Unfortunately did not retrieve all bags and my aunts carry on was left behind. Which carried all her clothing and gifts. She was compensated for minimal belongings. FYI all cab drivers in Boston are required to get out of car and and assist with exit and luggage. (Took international cab back to airport, reasonable price and driver was great.
Hotel was very clean, other that bag mess up well organized. Food and beverage seemed overpriced. Charge for internet?? What? this is free everywhere, from the airport to doughnut shops. For the caliber of hotel they presume to be this should be included with the room. Everyone guest we encounter at the hotel was astonished with this. Not even complementary in the lobby. Rooms on the small side clean, large shower, housekeeping great very nice ladies.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
RobertRivers, General Manager at The Bostonian Boston, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Recent Canadian Visitor,

Thank you for your comments and we were thrilled to host this 60th Surprise Birthday Celebration.

Hotels strive to provide service exceeding that of our guests expectations and we attempt to assist with third party services, such as tours, taxis, local restaurants and shops by using our 'clout' in the market. In the case of this guest losing a carry-on bag in the taxi, the hotel exhausted endless hours searching every possible cab company to no prevail. However, Millennium Bostonian purchased clothing for this guest and has paid to replace nearly all items in a gesture befitting a fine hotel.

We trust that your five day excursion to Boston has many lingering memories of friends, family and our wonderful city.

Robert Rivers
rrivers@mill-usa.com
New Jersey
Reviewed January 10, 2013

It was our first time at the Millennium. The staff was very accommodating from the doorman to the Front Desk. Our room attendant was delightful. Overall the hotel is very clean and the location was perfect. I found the $45 charge for overnight parking a little high. The room was very clean, not very large, but the bathroom and shower were spacious. I understand it is a 4 diamond property but I wonder how many Fiji waters they sell at $6.50 per bottle. The beds were comfortable and clean. The bathroom amenities very standard, expected better for a 4 diamond. Overall we enjoyed our stay and as I mentioned the location was great, right in the heart of Boston. If you can afford the rates I highly recommend the property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Bottle of water in the mini bar $7.50 - give me a break!! Did not give me my corporate rate, even though I asked for it. So I felt a bit ripped off.

The room was large, clean, and the bathroom was very nice and large. The beds were fine. The room looked very typical, corporate style.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank snowydog18
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for providing us the opportunity to hear your concerns regarding a recent stay and I offer my apologies.

Millennium Bostonian has corporate rate programs that have been honored for 30+ years and our goal is to insure we continue this valuable practice. Hence I offer my direct line number so that I might correct your account.

We look forward to your future stay,

Robert Rivers
617.557.3601
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I decided to stay in the city of Boston following an evening of wining and dining. We looked at many places around Faneuil Hall and kept coming back to the Millennium Hotel. It was not the cheapest nor the most expensive hotel listed but we knew it was a great location for what we needed.

We were pleasantly surprised by the appearance of the room and the cleanliness of the hotel. The location was absolutely perfect for what we needed. Considering it is on the fringe of Faneuil Hall one would expect to be rates to be quite high, however, the night that we spent there was in early January. We were also pleased that they upgraded us upon request.

My wife and I both agree that if we are to stay in the city again we will certainly choose the Millennium Hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 720 with a view of Downtown Boston and overlooking Faneuil Hall.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple