“Great location and service”

The Bostonian Boston
Ranked #28 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ottawa, Canada
“Great location and service”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here with the family for 2 nights at the end of August. Great place to stay in Boston if you're a tourist, can't beat the location - right across the street from Quincy Market. Staff are very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a suite - huge, modern and plush. The only downside is the noise - our room was on the second floor above the hotel's bar - quite noisy at night. Otherwise, nice place, will stay here again and would recommend it to anyone touring Boston.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
RobertRivers, General Manager at The Bostonian Boston, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Contributor,

Thank you for your posted online review and we offer apologies that your stay was interrupted by noise permeating from our hotel.

Without direct knowledge or your assigned accommodation, it appears the sound issue was most likely from a hosted wedding in our hotel. Our front office team attempts to only place wedding guests in suites neighboring our ballroom. Certainly this can be easily rectified and I have addressed with our front office management team.

Again, please accept my apology,

rrivers@mill-usa.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
USA
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I just finished a conference at the Millennium Bostonian. What a great experience!

The location is without a doubt the best in Boston. Our room had an amazing view of Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. It was such fun to watch all of the performers from our balcony. One word of warning, be sure to close your balcony door and draw the curtains at night if you are a light sleeper. When the bars close it can get noisy.

The conference staff were awesome. They made sure that every detail of our meeting went smoothly. I would have no hesitation to book another conference here.

Our attendees loved being able to walk across the street to restaurants, bars and shopping. Boston Common and Boston Public Gardens were an easy walk. We also loved taking a short walk to the North End and Boston Harbor.

Boston is a fabulous place to have a conference and the Millennium is without a doubt the perfect conference hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a great view, request a view of Quincy Market. If you are a light sleeper, skip the vie...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rumford, Rhode Island
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The Millennium is an attractive, perfectly placed hotel with some warts. In general:

- The hotel is fairly good sized for only seven stories so be prepared to walk in maze like, lengthy corridors to get to and from your room.

- The lobby is pleasant enough but not very welcoming.

- The staff is nice enough but no one will great you by name, not even when answering your calls from the room.

- The rooms are very nice - above average for cost.

- If you have a view of Quincy Market (it's very nice) be forewarned: it will be loud. You will hear music, bongo's, people leaving bars.... everything.

- Valet is $45 a day and a bit slow and congested in getting your car.

- Gym has dumbbells and cardio stuff only.

- Easy walk to North End, Fanuel Hall area and Downtown Crossing. Ideal location.

Room Tip: Pass on the rooms facing Quincy Market unless you can tolerate lots of noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
RobertRivers, General Manager at The Bostonian Boston, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Contributor,

Thank you for your online review and we appreciate your comments and wish to answer your question - Can location trump shortfalls?

Millennium Bostonian Hotel design is intended to preserve the historical significance of this city's oldest working block, the Blackstone Block. We agree that the Boston, in general, is a somewhat congested city and that valet will at times be delayed due to traffic. This service issue is overcome with advance vehicle request options and complimentary AM Starbucks coffee service while waiting.

Truly, our location is premier and offers all that is Boston directly out our front door, as you noted. As stated, the lack of guest name recognition is uncommon and unacceptable and I can easily influence correction of this vital guest service component.

Please accept my apologies in that we failed to recognize you by name during your stay and we hope that we can again serve your future travel plans to Boston.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I've visited the Millennium in Boston a half-dozen times and enjoyed each stay. The location is great - easy ride from the airport, across the street fom Fanueil Hall, close to the subway, good restaurants, the Freedom Trail. Since the last time I was there, the hotel has been refurbished and looks great! The restaurant had excellent food and beverages. Every employee in the hotel was friendly, courteous, and helpful. I'm already looking forward to my next stay!

However, my small suite had a couple of problems. When I checked in, the room was cold, so I increased the temperature. It was comfortable and remained so for the next couple of days. On day 3 I felt a little warm and tried to lower it. No luck. No way was the air coming on, even if I plunged the temp knob all the way to the bottom. It wasn't that warm, and I didn't want to mess with Engineering, so I just made do that evening with just a sheet and the next day was fine. The second frustration was the safe in the closet. Having used these many, many times, I stuck my iPad and other things inside, closed the door, and entered my code. It said "close" and then said "error" and didn't lock. So I did it again and it said "open" and then "error" and did lock. Same kind of confusion when I opened it. For four days it acted like this, and I just got used to entering the number twice to open or close it. So, if you visit the Millenium, I'd check these two things in the room before unpacking.

Room Tip: Sometimes loud on the south side when the bars close. Get as high as you can.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Top Contributor,

Thank you for your return visit and we appreciate your loyalty to Millennium Bostonian Hotel. As well, I offer my apologies that you experienced issues with mechanicals within your accommodation.

I recognize your comments related to service and will be sure to share with our team as this is an important component in our service program whereas guest praise is utilized to reward team members.

Recently we installed new AC units in our guest rooms and have seen operational issues diminish, however it appears that in this accommodation the unit and the thermostat are not interfaced properly. Our team is again, following up from our install conducting a room to room update and I am confident that this will be corrected.

Please let me know of your next planned trip to Boston so that I might personally inspect your accommodations and provide an upgrade.

Again, thank you,

wisconsin
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The hotel is very stylish and the room was very comfortable. The hotel is just across from Fanuel Hall, so convenient to many restaurants and shops. It is also just a very short walk to the subway, aquarium and trolley tours. The room was very quiet and faced the side of the hotel. The view was not great, but wedid have anime view of the North End and the farmers market that is held on the weekends. Even with a wedding reception on our floor, it was very quiet at night.

The staff was very friendly and very helpful and the rooms were very clean. I would defi itelynstay here again. There is a Starbucks just across the street in quincy Market so breakfast was simple and easy to get. There is also a dunkin donuts next store if you so inclined.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Senior Contributor,

We appreciate your comments and thank you for selecting Millennium Bostonian Hotel while visiting America's Walking City.

This hotels' location and service team has been the winning combination for a successful 30 year run and I am pleased to see that your experience mirrors our commitment. Each day we strive to perfect our performance so as to create a memorable experience and insure a return visit.

Please let us know when and if your travel plans include Boston so that we might select an accommodation with a different view.

Gratefully,

Dayton, OH
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I arrived at this hotel around 10am on a Friday morning. The lady at the front desk took our luggage for us as well as my phone #. She said as soon as a room became available, they would call. We left and began to explore the city. We returned to the hotel around 5:30pm after never getting that phone call that we were promised. When we checked in at the front desk, the guy just said sorry, gave us a key, and said our bags would be delivered to our room in a few minutes. Great! We were anxious to get showered and ready for dinner. At 6pm, the bags still werent there. My husband called the front desk and was told it would be just 5 more minutes. I took a shower, and when I got out at 6:30pm, the bags still weren't there! I marched downstairs with wet hair, went to the front desk, where - low and behold - she pulled our bags right out of the closet area where they were all kept. WHY WERE THEY STILL THERE?!?!? Why would you tell us 5 more minutes if you had NO intention of bringing them to the room??? Unacceptable and rediculous. So finally, at 630pm, after being there since 10am, we had our bags. No thanks to staff!! Had we known they were going to totally ignore us, we would have gladly taken the bags upstairs ourselves at 530pm when we first got there.

We stayed until Monday and the rest of the trip the staff never really even says hi when you walk by. They just hang behind the counter and tap on their computers.

Besides the terrible staff experience, the hotel was great - wonderful rooms, clean, updated, nice toiletries, and best of all - LOCATION!! We literally couldnt have chosen a better location in all of Boston. Right in the middle of it all.

Room Tip: Less noise on higher floors (there are bars on the ground floors). Some rooms have a balcony - if we...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GoBucks03
RobertRivers, General Manager at The Bostonian Boston, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Recently Disappointed Guest,

The responsibility for your disappointing stay lies with me, as the general manager, and I offer you my personal apologies for lapses in service.

Millennium Bostonian is known for a level of service that does not mirror your experience and I assure that your comments are today's priority for our front office management team. Our guest services team manages to inform dozens of guests, daily, by cellphone of a ready room and there is no excuse for our failure, this is simply human error.

Please allow us the opportunity to assist with a future reservation upgrade, with additional services, if and when your travel plans inlcude Boston. This will allow us a second opportunity to create an impression that we failed to achieve on your first visit.

617.557.3601
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We recently took a family vacation to Boston and Cape Cod. While we weren't in Boston for long, we the time we did spend was perfected planned, thanks in part to the Millennium Bostonian. This hotel is perfected located. It allowed us to walk around the great Quincy Marketplace, view Faneuil Hall, and join up with the Freedom Trail. It is walking distance from the subway, Boston Commons, and many great restaurants. I highly recommend the Millennium Bostonian. While I do think it is slightly expensive, everything in Boston was expensive so I think it is par for the course. Definitely try out the Subway system and take a short train ride over to Harvard. Wonderful experience! Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family