“Great location in Boston!” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Bostonian Boston
Ranked #30 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Great location in Boston!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I've visited the Millennium in Boston a half-dozen times and enjoyed each stay. The location is great - easy ride from the airport, across the street fom Fanueil Hall, close to the subway, good restaurants, the Freedom Trail. Since the last time I was there, the hotel has been refurbished and looks great! The restaurant had excellent food and beverages. Every employee in the hotel was friendly, courteous, and helpful. I'm already looking forward to my next stay!

However, my small suite had a couple of problems. When I checked in, the room was cold, so I increased the temperature. It was comfortable and remained so for the next couple of days. On day 3 I felt a little warm and tried to lower it. No luck. No way was the air coming on, even if I plunged the temp knob all the way to the bottom. It wasn't that warm, and I didn't want to mess with Engineering, so I just made do that evening with just a sheet and the next day was fine. The second frustration was the safe in the closet. Having used these many, many times, I stuck my iPad and other things inside, closed the door, and entered my code. It said "close" and then said "error" and didn't lock. So I did it again and it said "open" and then "error" and did lock. Same kind of confusion when I opened it. For four days it acted like this, and I just got used to entering the number twice to open or close it. So, if you visit the Millenium, I'd check these two things in the room before unpacking.

Room Tip: Sometimes loud on the south side when the bars close. Get as high as you can.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RobertRivers, General Manager at The Bostonian Boston, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Top Contributor,

Thank you for your return visit and we appreciate your loyalty to Millennium Bostonian Hotel. As well, I offer my apologies that you experienced issues with mechanicals within your accommodation.

I recognize your comments related to service and will be sure to share with our team as this is an important component in our service program whereas guest praise is utilized to reward team members.

Recently we installed new AC units in our guest rooms and have seen operational issues diminish, however it appears that in this accommodation the unit and the thermostat are not interfaced properly. Our team is again, following up from our install conducting a room to room update and I am confident that this will be corrected.

Please let me know of your next planned trip to Boston so that I might personally inspect your accommodations and provide an upgrade.

Again, thank you,

rrivers@mill-usa.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Turkish first
wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

The hotel is very stylish and the room was very comfortable. The hotel is just across from Fanuel Hall, so convenient to many restaurants and shops. It is also just a very short walk to the subway, aquarium and trolley tours. The room was very quiet and faced the side of the hotel. The view was not great, but wedid have anime view of the North End and the farmers market that is held on the weekends. Even with a wedding reception on our floor, it was very quiet at night.

The staff was very friendly and very helpful and the rooms were very clean. I would defi itelynstay here again. There is a Starbucks just across the street in quincy Market so breakfast was simple and easy to get. There is also a dunkin donuts next store if you so inclined.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Senior Contributor,

We appreciate your comments and thank you for selecting Millennium Bostonian Hotel while visiting America's Walking City.

This hotels' location and service team has been the winning combination for a successful 30 year run and I am pleased to see that your experience mirrors our commitment. Each day we strive to perfect our performance so as to create a memorable experience and insure a return visit.

Please let us know when and if your travel plans include Boston so that we might select an accommodation with a different view.

Gratefully,

Dayton, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I arrived at this hotel around 10am on a Friday morning. The lady at the front desk took our luggage for us as well as my phone #. She said as soon as a room became available, they would call. We left and began to explore the city. We returned to the hotel around 5:30pm after never getting that phone call that we were promised. When we checked in at the front desk, the guy just said sorry, gave us a key, and said our bags would be delivered to our room in a few minutes. Great! We were anxious to get showered and ready for dinner. At 6pm, the bags still werent there. My husband called the front desk and was told it would be just 5 more minutes. I took a shower, and when I got out at 6:30pm, the bags still weren't there! I marched downstairs with wet hair, went to the front desk, where - low and behold - she pulled our bags right out of the closet area where they were all kept. WHY WERE THEY STILL THERE?!?!? Why would you tell us 5 more minutes if you had NO intention of bringing them to the room??? Unacceptable and rediculous. So finally, at 630pm, after being there since 10am, we had our bags. No thanks to staff!! Had we known they were going to totally ignore us, we would have gladly taken the bags upstairs ourselves at 530pm when we first got there.

We stayed until Monday and the rest of the trip the staff never really even says hi when you walk by. They just hang behind the counter and tap on their computers.

Besides the terrible staff experience, the hotel was great - wonderful rooms, clean, updated, nice toiletries, and best of all - LOCATION!! We literally couldnt have chosen a better location in all of Boston. Right in the middle of it all.

Room Tip: Less noise on higher floors (there are bars on the ground floors). Some rooms have a balcony - if we...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GoBucks03
RobertRivers, General Manager at The Bostonian Boston, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Recently Disappointed Guest,

The responsibility for your disappointing stay lies with me, as the general manager, and I offer you my personal apologies for lapses in service.

Millennium Bostonian is known for a level of service that does not mirror your experience and I assure that your comments are today's priority for our front office management team. Our guest services team manages to inform dozens of guests, daily, by cellphone of a ready room and there is no excuse for our failure, this is simply human error.

Please allow us the opportunity to assist with a future reservation upgrade, with additional services, if and when your travel plans inlcude Boston. This will allow us a second opportunity to create an impression that we failed to achieve on your first visit.

617.557.3601
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

We recently took a family vacation to Boston and Cape Cod. While we weren't in Boston for long, we the time we did spend was perfected planned, thanks in part to the Millennium Bostonian. This hotel is perfected located. It allowed us to walk around the great Quincy Marketplace, view Faneuil Hall, and join up with the Freedom Trail. It is walking distance from the subway, Boston Commons, and many great restaurants. I highly recommend the Millennium Bostonian. While I do think it is slightly expensive, everything in Boston was expensive so I think it is par for the course. Definitely try out the Subway system and take a short train ride over to Harvard. Wonderful experience! Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed here over the long labor day weekend and had a great time. The hotel is nice and the room was clean. The staff was always nice and friendly. The location is great. It's across the street from Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall which made grabing a bite to eat really simple as well as some good shopping. It's 5 minutes walking distance to the nearby by subway which was super practical. It's also less than 10 minutes away from the North End neighborhood, also know as the little Italy of Boston, with loads of great italian restaurants, the Old North Church, Paul Revere House and the nice waterfront area. Don't bother lining up for Mike's Pastry, it's really not worth it. I have much better cannolis a few blocks from my house at much cheaper price.
We drove in and parked the car across the street on top of Hard Rock Cafe. Cost us $35/day versus the hotel's $45/day parking fee. One last thing to mention for those that may not be sound sleepers, on this weekend there was lots of loud music coming from the Faneuil Hall accross the street and even though our room was at the back of the hotel, it was quite loud until much past midnight on both Friday and Saturday. Made it hard to fall asleep. Can't say if this happens every weekend... But other than that, it was a great choice for our 3 night stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

The Millennium sits right on Quincy Market and is steps away from the great Italian restaurants of the North End. The rooms are smaller in size, but well-appointed. There is a nice restaurant downstairs and they serve Starbucks coffee in the lobby. Parking is absurdly expensive through the hotel valet relative to room cost. The gym is small but works fine. This is a good place to stay if you want its location. It is not a five star experience, but it is a solid and modern four star expereince.

Room Tip: WE just had a rack rate double and it was perfectly good. May be better to have rooms without views...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

My fiance and I booked a "babymoon" and stayed at the Millennium Bostonian Hotel for 4 nights. We really liked the location of the hotel, as it was an easy cab ride from the airport (less than $20, including the airport tax/extra fee) it was across the street from Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall, which made for quick and easy breakfasts as well as late night lobster mac and cheese! It's within walking distance to the Aquarium and the host of other tourist attractions that are down by the water. It is also super close to the North part of the city, which is FULL of amazing Italian restaurants including the (in)famous Mike's Pastry! Here's a tip...the line up will be OUT the door (and occasionally down the block for a few kilometers) but just walk in and go to the left...you'll get served right away :)
The hotel itself is not huge, which appealed to us, as we didn't want to stay in a massive, chain hotel. The staff was always very friendly, and greeted us as we left in the morning and arrived back at night. A few of the small inconveniences was that there aren't any ice machines, so we had to call down to the front desk every time we needed it. They were usually very quick though, so not a huge issue. There was a fridge, but it was fully stocked with mini-bar items, and you were charged just for opening it, so we couldn't get anything of our own to keep cool...unless we put it on ice...and as already reported...ice wasn't the easiest thing to get!
Also, the last day that housecleaning was in our room (so the day before we left) they didn't replenish our coffee, so the morning that we checked out, we couldn't make anything in the room as we packed up. Again, not a deal-breaker, but it would have been nice. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Boston, for work or pleasure.

Room Tip: We were over top of the front entrance and other than hearing the water from the fountain found it v...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple