“Amazing Location but that's about it!”

The Bostonian Boston
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I recently stayed at this property for (1) Saturday night. You really can not choose a better location. Seconds from Quincy Market and a 5 minute walk to the North End(Little Italy) best cannoli's around. I would describe this hotel as a boutique hotel. Entrance and lobby very modern and chic as were the rooms. The valet gentlemen were very helpful and attentive (steep overnight charge of $45). So here are my issues -
*no free wifi which is okay except for the fact that if you travel with a laptop, cell phone, ipad etc. you will be charge $9.95 per device per day to access the wifi.
*bottle of Fiji water in the room $6.50
*don't even think about touching the mini-bar as if you tap it you will be charged
*Bathroom is lovely, no bath tub just a beautiful shower - only problem is that the entire bathroom floor gets flooded when you shower. I slipped getting out of the shower because of all the water ( and yes, I had the floor towel down). I made mention of this to the front desk when I checked out but they didn't seem to care and said they would make a note of it.
*hotel does not have ice machines but you can request from room service "complimentary" which means you still have to tip the person who is bringing you the ice.

All in all, great location but for the price of this hotel, there are plenty of others that I would stay at next time in Boston. Just felt like I was getting gauged every turn I took at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
RobertRivers, General Manager at The Bostonian Boston, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Dear Recent Guest,

We appreciate your comments and recognize your concerns as noted in your review, and as the recently appointed general manager offer my apologies for the lack of attention at departure.

Each member of our team is trained on how to handle and resolve guest issues, as well on accepting compliment. In your case it appears we heard the issue bur failed to convey our concern and identify a resolution. This is easily a service training agenda that will be reviewed in the upcoming week.

I understand your notes on cost items and recognize that to some travelers price may seem excessive, however these are convenience items for which market pricing is applied. To offset some of these services, the hotel offers complimentary WiFi in North 26 Restaurant, Lounge and Lobby.

I also thank you for noting Cleanliness and Location as 5 Star, the highest available rating, and hope that you will reconsider our location for a future Boston visit. If you elect to return, please call me direct so that I may personally select an upgrade.

Again, thank you,

Robert Rivers
rrivers@mill-usa.com

Reviewed May 31, 2012

I booked an overnight stay via Priceline and received a fantastic rate! Drove up to
Boston for the day with my boyfriend and unfortunately my car window got smashed and items were stolen downtown. We thought we wouldnt be able to stay at the hotel because of that incident, however the hotel was very accommodating of our needs. They offered for us to leave our car parked in the roundabout valet section so that there would be an attendant keeping an eye on it at all times. Blown away by the guest service skills! Not only that, but upon checkin they were even kind enough to upgrade our room to a suite. Totally unexpected, but a pleasant surprise to say at the least. They tried to help remedy a problem that we experienced in Boston that had nothing to do with their hotel- that's incredibly kind. The room itself was meticulous. Awesome location. Would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This hotel is right next to Quincy Market.. Although it may not look like much on the outside, it has just gone under a massive rennovation and is now a modern looking hotel from the inside.

The hotel rooms are generous sized. there is a walkway that opens up into a big bathroom with oversized shower. Little bathroom amentites like cotton buds, cotton balls, mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, body moiseteriser and body wash are available. So is a hairdryer.

It may get a little noisy at night, depending on the foot traffic outside, but you can't complain about that as you're in a prime location.

Walking distance to Hannover Street (little italy) which is fantastic. The best canolis I've ever had in my life can be found at Mike's Pastry.

Room Tip: rooms on higher levels may be quieter
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Was able to check in early on Saturday. The reception desk was very helpful and friendly.
We were upgraded to a lovely suite overlooking Quincy Market. Great place to stay.
Very convenient to the subway (T) . Walking distance to Aquarium.
Staff was very helpful with directions and questions.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, you might get it.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Just got back from a mini trip to Boston. We booked this hotel based on the location, as we wanted to be close to the food and shops. We were not disappointed. The hotel is in the best spot in the North End; you can't beat that for the money! Steps away from Quincy Market, the water, and the subway. Our room was big, modern and comfortable, and had all the amenities we needed. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful.
We appreciated the convenience of the valet parking, but it seemed expensive at $45 a day. It was also great that the hotel let us check in early, but they also charged a $12 early check in fee to park. Our only other complaint was that there didn't seem to be any soda machine or ice machine anywhere in the hotel.
Those small things aside, we will definitely return to this hotel and are already planning our next trip to Boston!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2012

You cannot beat the location of this hotel. Just steps from Quincy Market and a short walk to the North End and subway stations makes it super convenient. The rooms were very clean, comfortable, and modern, and the staff was extremely helpful and attentive, making us feel like we were their only guests. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
RobertRivers, General Manager at The Bostonian Boston, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Dear Past Weekend Guest,

We appreciate your on-line review and recognize the ratings for Service, Cleanliness and Rooms as a compliment.

Daily, at our morning meeting, I highlight reviews, such as this one, with my team and applaud their accomplishments. Every guest comment offers residual value from which we continue to motivate our team and challenge our service objectives. Your review allows us to relish in success while keeping an eye on today's arrivals.

Truly, from all our team, thank you for your comments and offering us the opportunity to host your recent visit,

Gratefully,

Robert Rivers

Reviewed May 26, 2012

I was sent here on business. I spent a week in this hotel and it felt like a vacation. Great location, plenty of things to do in the area, and a hop-skip-and a jump away from the North End. I asked the staff where I should eat, and they said, go anywhere on the north end and I would be happy. They were right! Convient to transportation and to everything. Excellent room, very modern. Clean.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business