“Excellent Hotel!”

The Langham, Boston
Ranked #19 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 18, 2010

This hotel is top notch from the amentities to the service. I cannot complain whatsoever, and I have to say it may have been the best treatment I've ever recieved. Our first room smelt bad, so they upgraded us to a room over looking the park with no questions asked. Everyone is very professional and courteous, and it was just a perfect place. The pool is brand new, hotel bar (Bond) is amazing, and everyone has a smile on their face. I would, and will certainly stay here again.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 30, 2009

The hotel was very pretty and clean. Our room was a good size, good enough to move around comfortably. The bed was comfortable as well and sheets felt great.
Breakfast was very expensive so we did not try it.
Hotel is nearby shops and easy to walk around. Concierge was very helpful in helping us find a shop and even called to make us an appointment. The staff was very good with us.
One complaint, WIFI should be free.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 27, 2009

We stayed one night over Thanksgiving weekend. This is a beautiful old property in a great Boston location. The hotel should be nicer simply because it could be.

Let me say first that the hotel is clean and the rooms are adequate. I would stay here again.

It bothers me when beautiful old hotels are not properly maintained. Wallpaper should not be peeling off. Tiles should not be missing. You get the idea. In my mind, this separates a great property from a merely adequate one. It also says something about the ownership and staff. It also makes an impression on people like me who spend lots of time in hotels.

The front desk staff was great. They even called us 5 minutes after we reached the room to assure that it was satisfactory. A nice touch! They were also very helpful with walking directions.

The room was very nice. Not the usual small closet-size room you expect in a city like Boston. I liked the fact that you could move around freely and had a comfortable place to sit. The bathroom was rather large and, to my delight, filled with extra towels and amenities.

The bed was comfy and the linens were crisp and clean. That's all I ever expect.

The TV was the old boxy type, but who goes to a hotel to watch TV?

The window was small and the view was nothing to write home about, but again, unless you are planning to stay in the room and look out the window, who cares?

The hallway noise and sounds of heavy doors slamming shut was a bit much a times. This is a regular problem in any old building. I wish they could cure it, because there's nothing worse than being jarred awake at 1:30 am by noisy hotel patrons having long conversations in doorways, following by slamming doors.

The absolute worst thing was that the room was uncomfortably hot and the cooling system did nothing to help it. I wish that they would not shut the air conditioning completely off in the winter. This was an unsually warm November night, about 60 degrees, and it was over 75 in the room. Turning the cooling system on only made it worse, because no cool air was emitted. Unfortunately, things like this can ruin an otherwise satisfactory stay.

It's Boston, so expect to pay dearly for parking. The valet dropped the ball on checkout. We called ahead as instructed but still had to wait outside the hotel for over 30 additional minutes for them to bring up our car. I did not appreciate that.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2009

I paid $330 for one evening.The room was very small.The room had a wet bar and an 8 ounce soda was $6.I looked at the room service menu and a burger with fries was $47.I had been disturbed all evening by loud noise coming from the adjacent rooms.I had the do not disturb sign out and was awakened by the cleaning staff at 10 am even though check out was 1pm.The room had bottled water at $9 for 20 oz.WiFi wasn't working,I called front desk to ask why,they replied,we are working on the problem.They failed to inform me of their business center.I forgot my cell phone +charger in the room.I called the hotel after I got home and was told by the hotel staff they would check and return to my address.Two weeks later I called and asked about it.They replied,we are sorry sir but we didn't find it.I was pretty disappapointed in the staff and would never even think about staying there again even if it was FREE.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank nhfisherman
Reviewed November 19, 2009

We loved the Langham! My partner and I stayed here last week during emergency construction on our condo and we were made to feel very welcome during a stressful time. We booked a room at $335 and were upgraded to a beautiful junior suite overlooking Post Office Square - a very nice surprise!

We found the hotel to be spotless and well-maintained. Our junior suite was nicely appointed and had a homely English feel. Internet connection was fast and reliable ($12.95(?) a day - pretty typical for a secure connection). Bathroom was spotless and smallish but the toiletries box with everything that one could have forgotten - priceless! Only complaint is that there was too much junk on the already small desk!

The bar... In a word, stunning! Possibly the best hotel bar we have ever visited. Huge crystal chandeliers, comfy loungy seating, stiff drinks (for a price) and polite bartenders - what more could one ask for?

The health spa is smallish but well done and designed. Pool area has lots of natural light and the workout rooms have brand new equipment and are again, spotless. Best of all, no access fee!

We easily recommend the Langham!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2009

This hotel is particularly well situated and has well appointed rooms. In our experience,as world travellers,it does not provide value for money
Shortcomings...
1. There is not a quiet bar area where one can have a drink and good conversation. The only bar has a nightclub ambience,with very loud music,flashing lights and apparently largely non-resident clientele.
2. Most all budget hotels,inns and B&Bs provide complimentary wi-fi. How can the Langham justify a hefty charge for this service?
3. The restaurant is over-priced relative to the food provided.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2009

This was the first night of our honeymoon, and from the moment we arrived we felt special. Front of house was excellent, and as we had arrived early didn't expect to get checked in, but our room was ready, so our very helpful porter, Brian, gave us some pointers on "must see/do's" also some pointers on places to eat. We had a view of Post Office Square which was nice, as there is some green space there, rather than just a building across the street. Being in the financial district everything we needed was close at hand, and certainly no need to have a car here, as walking places was not a problem. I'd happily stay in this ex Federal Reserve building again!

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple