“Annual Work Friends Retreat”

The Langham, Boston
Ranked #18 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Salem, New Hampshire
“Annual Work Friends Retreat”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

For the last four years we have been staying at this hotel with business friends/colleagues and their spouses. This hotel has become one of our favorite spots. The staff is friendly and attentive. There is always something going on. The gym is beautiful with a great pool!
The Sunday Brunch is by far the BEST you will come by!

Great location too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank alidonovan
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear alidonovan,

Thank you for your flattering review and for being a loyal guest of The Langham, Boston. I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and that you consider us to be one of your favorite places. Additionally, I am pleased that you love our Sunday Brunch and we look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back to The Langham, Boston soon.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Nice hotel and well located. We ate breakfast at a nearby eatery which was more than adequate. As it's in the financial district this was closed at the weekend. Spent some time relaxing in the nearby postoffice park watching the world go by.

would happily stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Chris499514,

Thank you for your feedback of your stay at The Langham, Boston. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and especially enjoyed relaxing in Post Office Square Park located next to The Langham. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Boston soon.

Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Thank you Langham, Boston for making our trip so wonderful. Truly the most fabulous staff! The pink taxi was so much fun as was the chocolate bar! I hope to visit Boston again in the near future and will definitely stay at the Langham, Boston.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dbailey503
Dear dbailey503,

Thank you for your flattering review of your recent stay with us at The Langham, Boston. I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay and particularly enjoyed our Pink Taxi and decadent Chocolate Bar. Thank you as well for complementing our colleagues for their exceptional service. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Boston soon

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Very good and friendly service, as usual, similar to their worldwide chains.

Nice heated pool with a great Jacuzzi. Comes with locker and keys. And also sauna.

Excellent location to food and amenities. Lots of great seafood nearby. Around 15 minutes walk to Chinatown, which boasts of more nice seafood.

Nice room.

Something weird about their 1865 membership though. I have fulfilled more than the number of stays per year to be entitled the 2nd highest tier membership. This means I should be automatically upgraded to the next better room whenever I travel. However, I was not given this entitlement this time round.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank johnsai2013
Dear johnsai2013,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Langham, Boston. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our accommodations, amenities and location excellent. In reference to your 1865 Membership comment, although we try and extend an upgrade with every stay for our members, they are still subject to availability, and we apologize for not being to extend this benefit on your most recent stay with us. Thank you as well for complementing our friendly service and we hope to welcome you back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston.

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Langham is a hotel in the financial district of Boston, facing Post Office Square (a small, beautiful park). It is in an excellent location for business meetings and to explore historic Boston.

The Lobby is somewhat cold, with intrusively loud piano music. Check-in was friendly and efficient and my room, though not big, was nice and overlooked the park. I did not like the fact that the windows were hermetically sealed so that one had to rely on the AC for fresh air (in New England, in the fall).

I had business meetings all day (though it was Saturday) and finally wanted to end the day with a drink at the hotel bar - which is called BOND. I had changed to casual wear and I really just wanted to sit there and have a drink. Nightclub type bouncers with secret-service style earphones block your way, look up and down on you and inquire whether you stay in the hotel? If the answer is affirmative, the bouncer guy will take his time scrutinizing your card and finally admit you - a privilege indeed to enter the bar of one's own hotel.

Rude and snooty service at the bar, which is full of entitled college-aged people, dressed for a high school prom, who looked and behaved like the ill-bred offspring of the people I had to deal with all day long (and who clearly were not staying in the hotel). Of course no room to sit, all tables and booths were of course "reserved" for Boston's version of a hip nightlife crowd. Very loud music did not add to the charm of the place, we escaped to the lobby to have our drink The lobby has the charm of a waiting room in a fancy Upper East Side dental office, but at least one can sit down.

Don't get me wrong, just like any long time Manhattanite, I would normally have been amused at such display of Snootiness and the provincial elites - as we tend to look down on all things not NYC - however not in the rate this hotel its charging its patrons - and not when in need of simply a drink after work (or of coffee the next morning).

Pompous concierge service the next day, another unpleasant experience that I did not have to make.

My summary:
If you don't mind staying in a "boutique" style hotel of the type the Ian Schrager group provides, and if you don't mind a snooty "we are beautiful people serving beautiful people" attitude of the staff like in the Delano Hotel in Miami, then stay here. I may put up with this in a resort location, but not while on a business trip in New England. I ll take the stuffy Omni Parker (see below my review) or the Boston Harbor Hotel any time.

Room Tip: Maybe one with a window one could open (if it exists).
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank WorldWondererNYC
Dear WorldWondererNYC,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Langham, Boston. I am disappointed that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and that you encountered several shortfalls in the service you received while in Bond and from our Front of House colleagues. We have retrained our Front of House and Bond colleagues on the proper Langham standards of customer service and guest interaction. I am glad however, that you did find our location next to Post Office Square and within walking distance of local sights and attractions to be ideal for your stay. Thank you again for your feedback.

Kingston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 17, 2013

When I heard how old the hotel was (1865), I was a little nervous. This hotel is immaculate with large modern rooms and great people.
We were in Boston for my son's wedding and were duly impressed with this incredible building.
Our room was simply fantastic.
Thank you Langham!

Room Tip: I can't imagine a bad room in this hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Keith43
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Keith43,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Langham, Boston for your son’s Wedding. Congratulations! I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us and found our accommodations spacious and immaculate. The Langham, London was the hotel built in 1865, while the hotel here in Boston opened as a hotel in 1981, although the building that we are housed in, the former Federal Reserve Bank was constructed in 1922. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Boston soon.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I am not even in my room yet and already I hate this hotel. We got here at 2:30 after driving 6 hours from the last stop of a 10 day trip in Maine. My husband used to work in this building when it was the Federal Reserve and I thought it would be special to spend a night here before flying back home tomorrow. We had also contacted some friends and agreed to meet them at 4:00 and then have dinner somewhere.. Check-in time is 3:00 so when the desk clerk told me there would be a wait, I wasn't concerned until he told me I could check my bags and leave and they would call me on my cell when my room was ready. I asked him how long it would be and he said " an hour and a half or so". When I asked if checkin wasn't at 3:00, his response was, "That is when checkin starts, but it doesn't mean all of our rooms have to be ready."

I went and sat down with my book to read and as soon as I got settled someone came over and told me I had to move unless I wanted to buy something because I was in the lounge. Note that when I sat there in the first place, it was because all of the other chairs in the lobby were full and the lounge, which wasn't even clearly a separate space had only 1 patron.

It is now after 3:00 and I am still waiting. I am not a happy patron.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Pdruhan
Dear Pdruhan,

Thank you for your feedback and I am disappointed to read that you were dissatisfied with the arrival and check-in process. Our check in time does begin at 3:00pm, however due to the previous night being fully committed, we were only able to provide you with a room at 3:11pm. We are addressing this shortfall with the Front Office and Housekeeping team, to see how we are able to overcome this challenge in a fully committed hotel situation. I would like to apologize for the miscommunication regarding our Lobby Lounge The Reserve. Our Service Stylist or Front Desk Colleague should have escorted you to our Back Lobby where we have further seating in in addition to those provided in the Front Lobby while you waited for your room. I do hope that despite your initial experience, you were able to have an enjoyable stay with us.