“Romantic, perfect service and a great value”

The Langham, Boston
Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I decided to go away for the weekend and realized that it coincides with the day that we got engaged 23 years ago. So we thought it was a great opportunity to go to Boston (where he proposed) and stay at the Langham where we actually stayed that day in 1990 (when it Le Meridien). I actually have the room key from that time and asked the reservation agent about that specific room and explained why. We ended up not booking that room (it apparently turned into a double bed room so not very romantic) but the whole stay we were treated amazingly even though I only mentioned the circumstances to the reservation agent and not anyone else.
We were greeted super warmly, congratulated on the day and upgraded to a higher level king room. After we got into the room there was a knock on the door and we got a tray with prosecco, really good chocolate truffles with "welcome back" written out in chocolate as well as a handwritten note from staff. Thought that was super thoughtful.
The room was very spacious with a sitting area and a nice window. The linens were of very good quality. We loved the Bond for drinks - check out this gorgeous room.
As an aside, had an amazing meal at Oleana in Cambridge. We got a late check out and bottled water in our car from the valet. I thought it was a good deal-$239 inc free parking ($30 usually)and full breakfast. We loved the place and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear ilasik,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Langham, Boston for your Engagement celebration. I am delighted that you and your husband loved your stay with us and that our colleagues were able to make your stay with us that much more special. I am pleased to read that you found our accommodations spacious and comfortable and that you loved BOND. Thank you again for sharing your special stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you both back to The Langham, Boston.

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in the Junior Executive Suite on the seventh floor for our 25th anniversary. We enjoyed a very pleasant visit and would gladly return.

The hotel's service is the most outstanding characteristic of the Langham. All the staff we met, from the housekeepers to the concierge, were polite, well trained, and friendly. The hotel's staff is plentiful as well, doorman, greeters, bellhops, spa technicians, etc, available at all times, so bring plenty of tip money.

The room is clean, quiet, and well appointed. Slippers and robe are provided as is a complete mini bar with top shelf booze, soda, and snacks. The shower is hot and strong. The bed is very comfortable. The hotel is located in the middle of the financial district, a forest of tall office buildings, and our window looked over a small park directly across from the opposite structure, so the view is interesting but not inspiring.

Since we purchased the Weekend Getaway Package, the hotel delivered champagne and chocolates to the room soon after we arrived. We enjoyed a delicious, hot breakfast delivered to the room, but did not try the restaurant or bar.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking a luxury style hotel in downtown Boston.

• Stayed: March 2013
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear nekron99,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Langham, Boston. I am pleased to read that you and your wife had an enjoyable 25th Anniversary celebration with us and that you found our accommodations to be comfortable and quiet. I am extremely delighted to read that you found the service provided by our colleagues to be outstanding. We are constantly striving for service perfection so it is nice to see that in your case we achieved our goal. We hope to welcome you and your wife back to The Langham, Boston in the near future.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I love the city of Boston and just returned. THe Langham was the perfect choice for my stay. It is in the "financial district" which made it close and convenient for everything. I was able walk from the South Street Station in 5 minutes. I then shopped on Newbury Street, walked the Freedom Trail and did Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. It was centrally located to everything!

However, that was not even the best part of my stay. The hotel was luxurious and elegant with a beautiful well appointed room. The furniture was over the top as well as the bedding. I felt like I was sleeping in a cloud. The bathroom was equipped with a warm soft robe, slippers and all the amenities that you could need. The tile and granite were beautiful. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff was attentive from the moment the doorman welcomed me to The Langham. Check in was efficient and helpful and although I arrived early, they were helpful in getting me into my room immediately.

The Reserve in the lobby is a great place to meet friends or have a meeting. You can have tea, cocktails and breakfast there as well in the morning.

After a long day, I returned to the hotel and went for a swim in the heated pool and enjoyed the hot tub while lounging in the teak chairs around the pool reading my kindle! In the morning I was able to use the fitness center which has a good supply of new top of the line equipment.

I never made it to Bond but heard people saying it was a great spot. Next time I will be sure to make time to experience it. And I don't want to miss the Chocolate Bar and Sunday Brunch!

I cannot think of one thing that could have made my stay more comfortable. I travel to Chicago and NYC and am looking forward to new opening of The Langham in those cities this spring and summer. Highly recommend it!

1  Thank sandybeach49

Dear sandybeach49,

Thank you for your flattering review of your recent stay at The Langham, Boston. I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us and found our accommodation elegant and comfortable. I am pleased that you found our new lobby lounge The Reserve to be an ideal meeting place, whether for leisure or business and that you found our pool to be relaxing. During your next stay with us, we hope that you will be able to experience our Chocolate Bar and / or Sunday Brunch. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was my second stay at the Langham in Boston. Although it is in the financial district, it is a short walk to China Town and many other Boston attractions. It is luxurious, elegant and extremely comfortable. The staff is attentive and very professional. Our bed was amazingly comfortable with perfect pillows. We will be staying there again when we go to Boston.

Room Tip: The ninth floor is quiet, but when the hotel is full, the hot water isn't as hot as I like it to...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anne O

Dear Anne O,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Langham, Boston. I am delighted that you enjoyed your second stay with us and found our colleagues to be attentive and our accommodations elegant and comfortable. I thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

For our most recent trip to Boston, My Dearest decided to be a good corporate citizen (a/k/a sucker) and let the company travel office lodge us wherever they could get the best rate. Every instinct in me screamed that this was madness, but in a moment of weakness I let My Dearest’s silly wishes trump my hard-won instincts. The travel office installed us in the Langham, and my instincts were proven right.

First impressions were not good. The lobby at the Langham is a soulless expanse that reminded me, at least in spirit, of the waiting area at the Department of Motor Vehicles. The lobby lacks furnishings, décor, flowers, or any human touch whatsoever. Its perimeter is lined with a few ugly and uncomfortable chairs inhabited by hapless businessfolk balancing their laptops on their knees. People!! Were you asleep in Hotel Management 101 when the professor taught that a hotel lobby should be a comfortable and inviting location for people to meet, friends to gather, and guests to wait for their rooms or their rides? Or did you not show up for class that day?

What was probably a particularly dead space across from the lobby has been dressed up as a “new” champagne bar with chairs designed to give you back pain, tacky plastic chandeliers with sparkling white lights stolen from somebody’s Xmas tree, and a sad looking bar topped with bottles of champagne in ice buckets. During our entire stay I did not see a single person drink champagne there. No wonder. Apart from a Mormon Church, I cannot imagine a less inviting spot to quaff a flute of champagne!

Our room was small and cluttered with threadbare bits of cheap furniture. It lacked charm, taste, or any human touch. The closet was dingy and difficult to access. Still the room was, in its own crowded little way, functional: the bed was firm and comfortable and there was plenty of lighting.

The bathroom screamed Hampton Inn. Only one sink surrounded by a fake stone counter. An old bathtub with a Bath Fitter acrylic liner glued onto it. My mouth breathing daughter-in-law installed exactly the same thing when she renovated her bathrooms on the cheap. Just as it does at my daughter-in-law’s, the acrylic liner buckled when I stepped into the bath. The bathroom tiles were dated with visible gaps between them. Cheap taps and faucets. One of the tackiest plastic wastebins I have ever seen. Single ply toilet paper with fake quilting. On the plus side: (1) a functional illuminated make-up mirror; (2) a powerful hair dryer; and (3) an ample supply of towels. In politically correct Boston this is probably the only hotel without signs instructing you not to use hot water or towels when you bathe in order to save the polar bears.

To enhance the gloom in the bathroom were bars of black soap that grew a waxy gray film when they got wet. Eeeeeeewww!! The soap and the other product bore the label of Chuan Spa, which is part of the Langham Hospitality Group. So the hotel wants you to think they are giving you fancy spa product when in fact they are just giving you the house brand.

Many members of the hotel staff were superb. The gentleman who brought us room service meals was charming and efficient. Housekeeping responded promptly to my requests. The doormen were unfailingly helpful and polite. Whenever I handed them a small tip they paused to give me a sincere thank you. (My Dearest thought that the bowler hats on the doormen made them look like Laurel and Hardy, but I found the hats quite fetching!)

On the other hand the receptionist delayed our check in with needless chatter, issued us room keys that failed to work, and promised us daily newspapers that never arrived.

I sent My Dearest to the fitness center. He reported that, while small, it was spotlessly clean and well equipped and included a lap pool and Jacuzzi.

I planned to dislike Bond, the hotel’s main restaurant and cocktail bar. I am skeptical of restaurants that strive as hard as Bond does to broadcast that they are so much cooler than the rest of us. Every dollar dumped into the “Bond is So Hip” PR budget is a dollar less for the Bond food and drink budget. For once, my fears were misplaced. On a quiet night Bond is a pleasant spot for a drink and a light meal. The classic and creative cocktails are well crafted. The menu is eclectic with Asian, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and New England touches. We are not talking Michelin star (or even Bobby Flay), but most of the food was enjoyable. Don’t tell the rabbi, but I recommend the lobster sliders. The service was attentive, courteous, and professional. The décor in Bond is garish and I fear that on a busy night the din would Roto Rooter the wax from My Dearest’s ears.

The Langham was not awful, but it fell well below my expectations. When My Dearest and I select hotels in the future, we will follow my instincts rather than his impulse to get philanthropic with his travel budget.

2  Thank tarrytown54

Dear tarrytown54,

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay at The Langham, Boston. I am disappointed to read that your stay did not meet your expectations; however I am pleased to read that you found the service provided by our colleagues throughout the hotel to be “superb” and that you did enjoy your dinner at BOND, especially the lobster sliders. I thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

The hotel prides itself on being a luxury hotel and it is. The staff is professional, the service is good. The rooms are nicely appointed. The bar is splashily decorated and the light dinner they provide is tasty. The breakfust buffet is also good. The only thing that is mediocre is the high tea. Though they use a teapot, the tea comes in a bag. The sandwiches were relatively tasteless. The scones, however were delicious. The only odd thing is that the surge protector installed to give business users extra plugs, at the nicely appointed desk, is plugged into a socket that goes off when you turn the main lights off so no charging while you sleep. You have to plug in everything on the other side of the room. A small point but a nuisance even for non business travelors. I actually had maintence change a bulb before I figured it out.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear MEBesq,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at The Langham, Boston. We are delighted that you found our accommodations and services enjoyable. Regarding the Tea Service, we are proud to work with Harney & Sons Teas, which has developed a silk tea satchet that contains loose leaf tea. This is sometimes mistaken as a teabag, however we are delighted that you found our scones delicious. Thank you for your comment regarding the surge protector, our Engineering team is looking into this. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham Boston in the near future.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just experienced The Langham for the first time, truly a memorable stay. This is a SOLID upscale hotel in Downtown Boston and an easy walk anywhere. The rooms are well appointed, the bath and towels are terrific and the pillows...I have to have them for my home now.
Everyone is cheery, helpful and not stuffy. We enjoyed the "chocolate bar" on Saturday (you had better like chocolate everything :)) it was nice with a DJ playing music. The Sunday Brunch is terrific, anything and everything you could want to eat. The Bond room is really elegant by day and I understand "hip" at night.
Will stay there again

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor overlooking the "post office park", quiet on the weekend.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Pat R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Langham, Boston. I am delighted to read that your first stay with us was a memorable experience and that you found our accommodations and services enjoyable, and our colleagues helpful. I have shared your comments regarding the Chocolate Bar and Sunday Brunch with the respective teams and am pleased that you found both terrific. On behalf of my colleagues and myself, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston.