“Too nice!”

The Langham, Boston
Ranked #18 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The only complaint I have about the Langham is that my husband and I often felt out of place - this hotel is beautiful and classy and we're more comfortable in jeans and sneakers. Regardless, I would definitely recommend the hotel! After a 4-night stay in December, I have a few thoughts:

*Location: although the financial district is relatively deserted during evening/weekend hours, we never felt unsafe walking to/from the subway or wherever we chose to eat dinner. While there's not much right on the doorstep, we never felt the need to get a cab (not even to the airport)! Prepare for at least a 5-10 minute walk to any destination.
*Room: we had a standard king room. It wasn't anything extraordinary, but definitely a step above your average hotel room. The housekeeping staff did a great job (although the turndown hours were a bit unpredictable. One night they came while we were getting ready for dinner, another night we had already gotten back for the evening when she showed up).
*Pool: The pool and locker room were great! We went down there each day of our stay and only shared the area with another guest once.
*Restaurant/Bar: The weekend breakfast buffet was AMAZING! We went to the bar around 8 the first night we stayed and felt terribly out of place because we weren't there for the "club" that starts at 10. It was also frustrating that many of the tables were reserved for later in the evening, so we didn't have anywhere to just sit and enjoy a few drinks before turning in for the night.

3  Thank asmith826
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear asmith826,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Langham Boston in December. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us overall and that you loved our Breakfast Buffet. I will share your comments regarding Turn Down Service and your feedback for BOND with the respective departments. During your next stay with us, please be sure to make use of our complimentary Pink Taxi to take you around Boston. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (2,449)

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Recently my daughter and I spent a few nights at the Langham. It was truly exceptional. From our arrival to our departure all the staff were helpful and friendly. We found Keith the concierge especially helpful and went out of his way to find tickets to college hockey for us. The room was kept clean and pristine. It was a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Sweeties_11,

Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay at The Langham Boston. I am delighted that you and your daughter had a wonderful stay with us and that you found our staff friendly and welcoming. I have shared your feedback with Keith and look forward to welcoming you and your daughter back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was on a business trip in the Financial District in Boston and picked the Langham based on TripAdvisor reviews. I was not disappointed. If you are heading to the Financial District, the Langham is right in the middle so the location is great from that perspective. Its a very nice "4 star" hotel. Not quite as posh as the Ritz-Carlton or Boston Harbor hotels but also, much more affordable from a relative perspective. ($200 - $300 a night)

I got the standard king room and it was a nice room. Clean and comfortable but not as spacious as some higher end hotels. You can see from the pictures. The bed was comfortable and I didn't hear any sounds from nearby rooms. The decor presents itself as a more traditional without being overly ornate. I found the TV to be a bit small viewing from the bed (can see in the pictures) but by no means, a problem. The views are generally of the downtown area so no amazing views for the most part.

I didn't eat at the hotel but there is a pretty trendy bar right next door called The Bond. I say trendy from the look of the bar. I am not local so I can't actually tell whether it is trendy but we were there on a Thursday night and it was reasonably crowded.

The location for sight seeing is not as ideal in my opinion. T stops (train) and Fanueil Hall are several blocks away so you can walk it but its not right by the hotel. Its also not around Copley Place, Fenway or other typical tourist areas. However, if I was in town for business again, I would definitely stay at this nice hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear gnasty71,
Thank you for your recent review of our property. I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you have found our accommodations to your liking. I do hope that you will return to The Langham and have a chance to experience our three distinct dining outlets; The Reserve lounge, BOND Restaurant and Bar, and our Café Fleuri or make use of our complimentary Pink Taxi to take you and our guests to numerous destinations in Boston. Thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

The Langham Boston lived up to it's reputation. The housekeeping staff could not have done more. The room was keep immaculate and the turn down service with chocolates on our pillows every night was the iceing on the cake.
Everything we wanted to see was in walking distance. I did not find the reception staff very warm as i have done in many other hotels but that was not really a problem.
I would highly reccommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Boston area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Jacquie 17,
Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that The Langham Boston has lived up to our reputation and that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I am delighted to hear that our housekeeping team looked after you and made your stay that much more special! I am happy to hear that you found our location to be ideal and within walking distance. I have shared your comment regarding the Reception staff with our Front Office team. Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your experience with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston. Serge Denis

Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Langham Hotel's Cafe Fleuri Chocolate Buffet. First -- the luxury of the hotel is incomparable. Even in a modest room, the service and amenities are solicitous to the degree that you'll think you are the visiting royalty they're serving exclusively. When you wake up on Saturday morning, take a long walk and return to the chocolate buffet. Save yourself for the chocolate fountain at the end. This is hedonism's very definition. And worth every calorie. Book time for a massage in the spa -- you'll want that indulgence the next day. It's the perfect romantic weekend. Or mid-week diversion.

Room Tip: Always ask if an upgrade is available. If possible, they'll accommodate you.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear e f,
Thank you for your flattering review of The Langham Boston and of our Chocolate Bar. I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us and that you found our accommodations and surroundings to be luxurious. I am pleased that you loved our Chocolate Bar and found it to be delicious and “worth every calorie” and that you found our Spa indulging as well. Thank you again for taking the time to share your weekend experience with us! I look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham Boston and the Chocolate Bar in the near future. Serge Denis

Reviewed December 30, 2012

The Langham Boston (part of a relatively high-end chain, now, surprisingly, Chinese owned) is located in the business district, and no doubt targets primarily business travelers, which is probably why we got such a great deal in Christmas week (thank you, Trip Advisor's SniqueAway!).
Much of the hotel looks recently renovated (particularly the lobby area), and rooms are a good size and in good shape.
The highlight for us (with 2 smallish kids) was the pool/hot tub area, which is really lovely. Luxurious locker rooms, plenty of very comfortable loungers around the pool and a nice big hot tub. Gorgeous!
You cannot step out of this hotel into Boston Common or the Aquarium, but everything is within a 10-minute walk, which even our kids, notoriously reluctant walkers, did not seem to find too onerous.
Continental breakfast is available in the lobby, and is fairly priced.
Staff are extraordinarily helpful and friendly.
One tiny gripe - the A/C wil not allow you to set a temperature below 65 degrees, which felt slightly hotter than we wanted for sleeping.
All-in-all, great stay at the right price!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Stephen J
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear ploughman1,
What a kind review – thank you for taking the time to share this detailed feedback with us. I am pleased to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us at The Langham Boston. We love hosting families and are happy that your family enjoyed the Pool and Hot Tub and found that the distance to the Aquarium and Boston Common were not too far away. I am delighted to hear that our staff were helpful and friendly; we strive on providing exceptional service and on creating lasting memories for our guests. Thank you as well for your comment regarding the A/C, which I have shared with our Engineering department. We hope to welcome you and your family back to The Langham in the not to distant future. Serge Denis, Managing Director

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I decided to treat ourselves to an overnight in Boston, and were very pleased with our room and the service. The gentleman who checked us in upgraded our room without our asking, but then noted that I had checked "quiet room" during the reservation process. He then looked for a different upgrade, as the first room was near an elevator. Nice to feel they actually paid attention to details! Our room was very nice, and comfy. In the morning we ate at the breakfast bar in the lounge, and the staff could not have been more accommodating. My only suggestion would be more staff at the check in/check out area.

Dear upbyseven,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is a pleasure to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I am especially pleased to know that the staff and service were accommodating and that you felt cared for. I have shared your suggestion for more staff at Reception with our Front Office Manager. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Boston and to The Langham soon. Serge Denis, Managing Director