“Dreadful experience and personally upsetting”

The Langham, Boston
Ranked #21 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Limerick, Ireland
“Dreadful experience and personally upsetting”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My 1 night stay cost me 429dollars inclusive. I requested breakfast to be included at that price as it was a tues night and nov 13 th. A very haughty desk clerk absolutely refused my requuest. My room was for 2 people and as I was alone I thought a simple breakfast of any description would be granted but no. I was livid. I had 2 friends staying there who paid 700 dollars for 4 nights accommodation and felt my request was not unreasonable. I visited the concierges desk for directions to Macy's but he was immersed in the computer and did not lift his head so I started off and asked the first stranger. My experience of the Langham was a bitter one. I was denied an opportunity to meet the Manager ad the desk clerk said he was IT. I travel a lot and live outside my native country Ireland about 4 months a year. I have never experienced such negativity. I more than paid for a breakfast at 429 dollars

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank gabriel31
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear gabriel31,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. As I believe I had the opportunity to previously communicate with you and to mention how sorry I was to read that your experience with our property was not a positive one. I certainly appreciate the fact that, nowadays, every traveler is looking for value and Langham Hotels do offer attractive value packages including breakfast and other amenities. However these have to be offered in a rational and consistent manner and could not simply be left to the discretion of our front office personnel. I sincerely regret that you did not have an opportunity to address your concern with me personally before your departure. I do hope we shall have the pleasure to welcoming you back in Boston in a not too distant future
Serge Denis
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed November 22, 2012

My wife & I stayed here for 5 nights in October and were impressed from the moment we pulled up outside and were greeted by the doorman. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and our room - a superior king - was a good size with all the usual amenities. We were on a B&B rate so had breafast in Cafe Fleuri - the first 3 days had a buffet option which was good, but on the other 2 it was a la carte only which was even better. The hotel's downtown location means it is close to most of the sights and it's only a 20 minute or so walk (or quick subway ride) to Back Bay.

We would certainly stay here next time we are in Boston.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The staff are very welcoming. My baggage was lost and I needed to run and get some makeup, essentials, etc, to try to put myself together after a red-eye flight from LAX for a work meeting. They took care of bringing my things up, getting me what they could (toothbrush!), and helping me to find a CVS and clothing store that would be open on a Sunday morning before my work event so that I could make it work. The rooms are gorgeous and comfortable and I quite enjoyed the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Langham for four days in November. The service was impeccable at every touch point and the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The rooms were beautiful, although some are on the small side. The Bond lounge is a fantastic place for a drink. All in all I would highly recommend staying here. We've travelled extensively and the service here is among the best we've experienced.

• Stayed November 2012
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear dtotravel,

Thank you for choosing The Langham during your most recent trip to Boston. I am delighted to read that our staff made you feel welcomed and also that you have enjoyed your time at Bond. We are constantly looking for ways to improve upon our guest’s experience and I am happy we were able to showcase this level of customer service during your stay. Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Serge Denis
Sussex, UK
Reviewed November 16, 2012

First of all, location. Its in the financial district, about 5 minutes walk from Quincy Market and the Government centre underground station. It is also easy to find from the main road running North to South next to the harbour.

Secondly, the staff. Helpful on checking in, and throughout the stay. They checked us onto our flights for us, and on checking out the following day not only stored our belongings until we needed them to go to the airport, but also offered us the use of the pool, leisure facilities and showers if we wanted to freshen up beforre our evening flight.

Thirdly, the room. I went for the basic room, which was anything but. It was in the central airwell, but this is so vast that it was still light and airy. There was a large and very comfortable bed, and tea and coffee making equipment. There was a very niceley designed bathroom.

We didn't eat at the hotel, but i did have a drink in the large bar, where they were preparing for a fashion show. I really enjoyed sitting down with a good drink watching the beautiful people, but I don't suppose that they put this show on every night!

I asked them to order a taxi to the airport, but for about $5 to $10 more, they got me a limmo, which was a really nice way to end the holiday.

Thanks to the excellent staff, and this will be my first choice in Boston in future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elstonian
Hong Kong
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I loved this hotel and very much appreciated the furniture and the beauty of it as well as a very set of attentive staff. In particular Yan Yan Chen the housekeeper was excellent and kept my room spotless every day.
The only thing that prevents me giving the highest rating to this hotel is the fact that the bathroom whilst super clean was quite small without a proper rainforest or walk in shower - I know many hotels in the US do not have that but I think an hotel charging over 250 bucks should have that to get an excellent rating. In addition i would expect room service to be 24 hours rather than till 11pm again for an excellent hotel, and I would also expect the internet to be better although the IT support were excellent.
Location is great, and there are always taxis outside. The tv is very good and i particularly appreciate the HBO plus additional HBO stations. room service was good, laundry was good, and the writing paper and pens etc were a delight as well as the books about the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank CurlyHongKong
Tripoli, Libya
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The Hotel, is superb, very elegant, very well located, the services and the amenities are excellent. The staff very professional.
Due to its rank, the limousine courtesy services shall be taken into consideration and activated.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family