“We Were Impressed!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Huntington Beach, California
“We Were Impressed!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at the Langham this past week and really enjoyed the experience. This was our first experience as tourists in Boston and we found the location to be convenient to many of the sites we wished to visit. The staff were all very helpful and went out of their way to make our stay successful. Our room was classically appointed but with all the modern conveniences we have come to expect. Would we go again? But of course!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I was pleased to have the opportunity to stay at the Langham, Boston this past weekend. The Langham is one of Boston’s premiere hotels, and has maintained its four-diamond status for thirty consecutive years. Originally, I had planned to use the app “Hotel Tonight” to book our one-night stay at the last minute (hoping for the Boston Harbor Hotel), but was a little bit scared when I found out that the International Fiscal Congress was having a large meeting in Boston that caused many of the city’s luxury hotels to have very few rooms left. When I saw Hotel Tonight’s minimal offerings for the evening of our stay, I called the Langham to attempt making a reservation less than 3 hours before check-in time on the night we were staying. I was hoping for a slightly better deal than the $475 advertised rate on a “Superior Room” with two double beds. When I called, the hotel operator picked up almost instantly, and my transfer to in-house reservations was just as quick. The friendly reservation agent I spoke with was very helpful, and offered me the room at $299, without my even inquiring about a discount. Hearing some hesitation in my voice, she told me to hold on a minute while she checked with her boss, then returned to offer me $250 per night, which I couldn’t pass by.

After a few hours on the road, we arrived at the Langham, just fifteen minutes after check-in began. The valets and bell staff were very busy keeping up with the incoming swarm of cars, and even though we only had two pieces of luggage, they still offered to help us with our luggage, which we passed up on considering how busy they were.

Check-in took less than 15 minutes, despite having to wait in line. We were given a room on the eighth floor (out of nine total), shown where the concierge is located, and instructed on how to get to the pool on the third floor.

Our room, 823, was of average size, but tastefully furnished. Much of the furniture showed its age rather clearly, but it somehow seemed to add to the grandeur of the room. The beds were elegantly outfitted with a decorative top sheet and scarf, the latter of which appeared rather outdated. The bathroom was spacious and elegant, with amenities from the hotel’s acclaimed spa. The room was full of those “little touches,” a note from our housekeeper introducing herself and a card with tomorrow’s weather handwritten at turndown.

We used the swimming pool and hot tub during our stay, and were thoroughly impressed with both facilities. The swimming pool has one lane sectioned off for swimming laps, and the rest of the pool is one large, open section. The pool was a little bit cold, and the room itself was freezing. This made the hot tub even more enjoyable, whose jets are nice and powerful!

We did not have the opportunity to dine in BOND, though we enjoyed breakfast at Café Fleuri the next morning. Their breakfast buffet on Sunday morning was reasonably priced (for Boston, that is) at $28 per adult, with a discounted price for children twelve and under. The selection was overwhelming, and everything I had was very good. I would say it ranks up there with the best hotel breakfasts I’ve ever had.

Service was warm, though it isn’t one of those places where they try to anticipate your every need (think Four Seasons). However, for us, it was exactly what we like...there when you need it, but not annoyingly so. Everyone we had the pleasure of dealing with was warm and friendly, including the concierge who made dining suggestions based on where we were going, and how to avoid traffic when leaving town.

The location of the hotel is unique...its one of very few hotels in the financial district, an area I’ve never stayed at before. I’m sure during the work week the locale is very busy, but on the weekend, it was deserted. That said, it was nice and quiet and it felt like we had the whole city to ourselves. Despite how deserted it was, we still felt safe walking back to the hotel at dusk.

There are a few areas where they can improve. Their new lobby is absolutely gorgeous, but its “fifty shades of white” scheme is dull and a little bit of color would really liven it up. It’s modern design scheme is elegant and glamorous, while still maintaining a style that pays homage to its historic heritage. The rest of the hotel, however, including the Café, event spaces, corridors, and ESPECIALLY the guest rooms would certainly benefit by being updated, keeping with the new style of the lobby. The only other issues we had were with things seemingly beyond the Langham’s control...water pressure was terrible in the shower, and the walls were paper thin.

Boston isn’t one of my favorite cities, but the Langham is certainly one of my favorite hotels. Its warm staff, charming facilities, and old world grandeur make for an amazing hotel experience. I certainly look forward to returning whenever I return to Boston, and I would recommend it highly. The Langham isn’t perfect, but it sure comes close.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Pearl Street overlook a scenic park, and the rooms on upper floors have the best views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank arlingtonman13
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We checked into the Langham in the midst of workmen, plastic tarps and a big blank space where the furniture had been moved. I'm sure the lobby was very nice, unfortunately, we didn't get to see it! I totally understand that work needs to be done sometimes, but how about letting the public know in advance? The woman at check-in was very friendly and welcoming, but the rest of the staff, polite, but not outgoing. Our room was lovely, a little on the small side, but the furnishings were nice and the bed linens crisp. The bed was very comfortable, and we did not hear traffic from outside. We did, however, hear the couple above us enjoying a romantic rendezvous around 11 p.m. Crystal clear ~ there was a pot light above the window where the sound seemed to be coming from. Rather distracting! Bathroom on the small side, but adequate, with fluffy towels and nice amenities. We had a B&B package, and the breakfast was very good. The hotel is in a great location as far as the sights go ~ very walkable distance to Quincy Market, Faneuil Hall, etc.

Room Tip: No real views at this hotel to speak of.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Savvy Girl,

Thank you for your recent review – For future reference however I would like to point out that the renovation of our lobby is now fully completed and has been for a while. I believe what you have witnessed was in fact the last delivery of the furnishings for our back lobby. I realize it might have caused some inconvenience and would like to apologize for this seldom and short disruption.

Thank you for choosing The Langham Boston
Braintree, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed September 26, 2012

You can expect to be treated with a smiling and friendly staff, from the doormen, registration desk, bellmen and concierege. Having been a former member of Meeting Planners and having travelled the East Coast in some great and some not so great hotels, I would rate the Langham Hotel in Boston as 5 Star all the way. The ambience of the hotel, the location to various historical spots in Boston and the restaurants in the hotel are second to none. This was my first visit to the Langham Hotel and I was "blown away" with their excellence. Purpose of my visit to the Hotel was to attend a wedding which was exquisite.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank grammykelly1
Glen Allen, Virginia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just because this is a fancy hotel in a historic building doesn’t mean that this expensive place is all you might think. I checked into a room that was stuffy and humid. The thermostat on the wall is just placed there as some kind of cruel joke; you can’t adjust the temperature one way or the other. I called the front desk and after being placed on hold for some period of time while they checked I was told that yes, I should be comfortable on the 70º temperature they have it set to…isn’t that right? I said no, I’m not comfortable at all. They said that they’d call “engineering”. Engineering never came but they called me back to say that engineering had set it to 65º (this was done remotely). Sure enough they had, so then after it ran for a while it was almost too cold; basically only choice was fan speed. This system is unbelievably non-user friendly…I want to be able to control my own comfort. Furthermore, the air outlet in the room was pretty well coated with mold & mildew (picture attached). I wouldn’t expect such a situation at an Econolodge much less an expensive hotel such as this one. Bath does have incredibly thick towels but all the amenities like shampoo and lotion are made in China and they don’t provide mouthwash which I expect in a 4-star hotel. The internet is extra charge, bottle of water are provided in the room “as a courtesy” and only $9.00 will be added to your bill if you drink one! That’s some courtesy! Toll Free calls are a dollar a piece; everything here is an “extra charge”. Decent selection of HD channels on the TV, good lighting in the room and bath.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank 30-StateTraveler
West Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The lobby was finished the day before we arrived and it was Gorgeous and very well decorated. Our room was perfect, comfy bed, very clean and a perfect view of the park. Everyone from the doorman to the bellhop were very professional and polite and made our stay enjoyable! Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: The King Supreme on the 5th floor was perfect for 2 people and the sound of the night club downstair...
1 Thank Amber S
California
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I researched many hotels to determine where my sister and I could stay on our first trip to Boston. Since we wanted to see the Freedom Trail and other historical sights we settled on a location downtown rather than the Back Bay. Boston is an expensive city so that did put a few restrains on our choices. But really we still had to pay almost $400 a night with taxes included and that was if we stayed 4 nights which we did. That apparently was reasonable for Boston. Also we did not have to prepay it which I liked in case our plans changed. The program was called "Linger at the Langham".

The Langham is right in the financial district, only 4 blocks from Faneuil Hall. The price was for a deluxe double which was very large. The price included a $25 breakfast each day for each of us and admission to the spa which was very nice. It had a pool, jacuzzi, workout facility and regular spa treatments. The bar is beautiful with a food menu which we used as we got in late when we arrived.

It is about 4 blocks to the "T" but that is not bad as we wanted to walk a lot on this trip. The doormen were wonderful and the Concierge booked our dinner reservations in places that were busy.

Overall a wonderful trip.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor looking out on the street. It was very quiet at night time in Boston. I w...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family