“Extraordinary 5 star service” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Langham, Boston
Ranked #16 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seltjarnarnes,Iceland
“Extraordinary 5 star service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

I love to stay at the Langham as I did last Sunday,20 November.From the minute you stop the car until you leave you are treated like an honored relative by all the staff, made to feel at home and nothing I have ever asked for is too much trouble.Concierge desk is one of a kind,led by William,Lincoln ,the newset addition is very helpful and a worthy member of a fabulous team. Mentioned my shopping plans on the way to breakfast and while leaving the hotel they had telephoned to check the opening hours for me, never happened anywhere else. I am always sorry that I cant book my next stay immediately to have something to look forward to. Well done,Langham. The beds are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

I stayed for one night, a Monday night, after having purchased a reduced night rate via a well known hotel website. I was checking in after 5:00 p.m. and leaving early the next morning. I'm assuming that it was because I booked at a discount, but I was given a room *directly* outside the elevator doors. And by discount, I mean a discount of their rates, still not cheap by any stretch. At 5:30 p.m. I could hear every conversation in the hallway. After attending a concert and returning to my room around midnight, and having to work the next morning, I was quite disturbed to hear children yelling in the hallway at 12:30 a.m. at the elevators, along with their parents' loud talking as well. To top it off, I had called just before checking in and was advised that the valet overnight parking fee was $40 and when I checked out, it suddenly was $42. Not that the $2 made a difference, but I had set aside cash to pay for the parking and to tip the valet, so I then had to charge the parking fee. I don't appreciate being nickled and dimed, especially after having just informed the front desk staff that I had been continually disturbed in my room. Seeing me holding the $40 cash for the parking should have been sufficient since I couldn't get my night of non-restful sleep back. It is in such a great place, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for its location and the fact that it does have a pool, but I would definitely ensure that you are not placed in a room by an elevator or you can expect to get no rest. One major plus was their showerheads - a slice of heaven!

Room Tip: Specifically ask that you not be placed into a room near the elevators. The racket is unbearable.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
tlbos, Hotel Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear wendysprague,

I would like to thank you for your recent stay at The Langham, Boston, as well as your Trip Advisor review. I apologize that your stay was not as restful as it should have been. Please allow me to apologize for the disturbances you heard in the hallway. Upon booking your next stay with us, I encourage you to request a room away from the elevators. Our reservations staff will be happy to accommodate any such request.

In regards to the pricing of our valet services, unfortunately it seems that one of our staff members quoted you an incorrect valet price. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you during your stay. I will personally remind all staff of the parking rates so this will not happen again in the future.

Lastly, I am saddened that you felt you were being nickeled and dimed during your stay. At The Langham, Boston, we strive to provide only the finest products and services for our guests, which can be reflected in our pricing. I do hope that this will not deter you from returning to The Langham, Boston in the near future. We would love to have another opportunity to create a more memorable experience for you!
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

I've stayed at the Langham a number of time and was there again in the last month. It's gotten even better - the dining room which I always thought was a bit tired, seems to have been changed somewhat and is much more inviting.

The staff is always great, from the front desk staff to the concierge desk (this staff is tremendously helpful) to room service. The hotel is located in a business district which I was initially concerned about since I didn't know what restaurants, etc, would be open in the evening but it's not a problem... the hotel is within walking distance of Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market and a quick cab ride to Boston's version of Little Italy.

The hotel is great and my only negative comment, which I also made to the management, is that in a luxury hotel a guest should not be charged for internet service. In 2001 this is no different for charging for electricity in the room... no hotel would think of doing that and similarlly, should not charge for internet service.

Room Tip: I always ask for a room overlooking the park but I haven't had a bad room yet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

this hotel was worth every dime and it was a wonderful experience except for one issue (more later). it is an excellent location in the financial district. close to the waterfront, to many historic sites, to boston commons, to restaurants, to Faneuil Hall and marketplace, etc. newbury street (boston's rodeo drive) is a bit of a walk but not impossible. we walked everywhere.
the hotel was a federal reserve building and has retained many wonderful parts of the original architecture including some rooms and paintings and the exterior. the rooms are not overly large - given it was an office building of sorts - but room enough for a king bed/nightstands, desk, sideboard/tv and a nice bath w/shower/tub. they also provide robes and slippers in the room. there is nice area w/a pool, whirlpool, spa, lockers, showers and an excellent fitness facility. the concierge desk was one of the best ever and the front desk was great too.
the food in cafe fleuri was very good as was the service but i thought the price a bit steep. however, on our first night, our experience in the bond restaurant was not so good. we were seated by the hostess and waited for 10 minutes with no service. all the servers were standing around talking to themselves. we then left and reported this to the hostess and to the front desk but all we got was "i am sorry". other hotels have offered some sort of compensation, i.e. a drink or something. even so, we would return because i am assuming this was a one-off slip.
if not for this, would have given it 5 stars.

Room Tip: higher floor overlooking post office square/park
1 Thank david l
Warwickshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

The Langham hotel is in the financial district but only a couple of hundred metres from the seafront and Faneuil Hall and probably 300 metres from the Common. Very clean and friendly, we had a lovely room with a nice high ceiling. I would suspect that you probably pay a bit more for the name and to be assured of the standard you would expect from The Langham.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are possibly better to escape any street noise there could be
salt lake city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

excellent downtown hotel with fine service and access to major in-town spots

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

Beautiful hotel, excellent location to see many of the sights on the freedom trail--within walking distance of the Quincy Market,Fanueil Hall, aquarium, with a fairly convenient bus stop for sightseeing busses. The food in the Cafe was excellent and we had breakfast included. The Bond is a beautiful bar and lounge, but they also serve food and it was good for light fare. The only drawback is that it is a bit noisy in the evenings during the week. Our only disappointment was our room, and only because it seemed a bit dated and the carpet had a few stains. Not what you would expect when seeing the rest of the hotel. However, the bathroom was beautiful, all marble, plenty of hot water, fluffy towels and all the amenities.Housekeeping service was good,the concierge(s) helpful, and the doormen excellent. Service in the dining areas was good, too. Comfortable, convenient and beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: Call the front desk directly and about 30 days in advance, if possible. Our room had a lovely view...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple