“It's the staff that make the Lenox...”
Review of Lenox Hotel

Lenox Hotel
Ranked #6 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
UK
“It's the staff that make the Lenox...”
Reviewed April 25, 2010

It has to be said that (having read the reviews on Tripadvisor) we were a little bit disappointed when we first walked into the Lenox tired after a long flight from Seattle. First impressions were of rather grand old style hotel in need of something of a refit, and – as it turned out – this was true of our room too. Nevertheless, by the time we left 3 days later none of that seemed to matter. Our room was spacious (apart from the bathroom which was not)...the bed was very comfortable...and when things were not quite as they might be, the staff always seemed genuinely concerned to put things right....even to the extent of the Bell Captain taking us over the road to buy a phone card to help us contact the UK after our own mobile stopped working (a problem we had in Boston and Washington...but not New York strangely enough!) The only irritation (a common one in US hotels in our experience!) concerned internet access which was important to us (for domestic reasons). Basically it didn’t work in the rooms. Eventually we discovered the Hotel’s own Business Centre and were able to communicate erratically with our son via webmail. We only used the restaurant for breakfast which was very good, and not too expensive. Apart from the main hotel restaurant, they are also linked with the ‘Irish Pub’ next door which served simpler food, even if it could get rather noisy! Overall, it is the staff the makes a stay in the Lenox a good experience; and – after a good bed – that is as it should be. Thank you everyone at the Lenox for putting up with us...and thank you especially for the Hotel car taking us to South Station when we left on a rather wet Saturday morning to move on to New York. That was a very nice touch...and very unexpected.

2 Thank Clifftopman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (615)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wash DC
Reviewed April 23, 2010

Wonderful stay even though it was quite expensive. The location makes it worth the money. everything was great except you do hear quite a bit of noise from the halls but the character of the hotel makes up for that. You wont be disappointed here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
London, UK
Reviewed April 21, 2010

I'd visited the bar at the Lenox many times before, but I'd never stayed in the hotel, and always wanted to. When we visited friends in Boston in October 2009 we finally stayed. On check in we were upgraded to a large corner room. The mod cons in the rooms were appreciated and although the bathroom was of an older style, everything worked. The bed was comfortable, and the room was quiet enough for this part of Boston.

The breakfast was good, and the City Bar was excellent as always!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
East Sussex
Reviewed April 21, 2010

We stayed at The Lenox last week for one night. We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to a beautiful large room with a working fireplace and amazing double aspect window. When we arrived there was a card, some wine and beautiful chocolates in the room as this was a very special occasion. We were overwhelmed by the generosity of the the staff. The hotel itself is really classic and homely. I travel a lot with my job and stay in so many hotels, but The Lenox has such a special feel to it, I simply cannot wait to go back.

Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2010

1st time in Boston and I will be back. Hotel is a great location in Back Bay, very close to the Copley T station and Newbury street. Bed was fantastic - room very clean and both bars were very nice - didn't try any food at the hotel.

Much give a mention to the staff, very friendly and helpful, or last morning when checking out was my wife's birthday and the night before the staff put out chocolates, wine and a card for when we got back to the room.

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2010

My husband was attending a conference at the conference center several blocks away and we didn't want to stay at the cookie-cutter chain hotels directly next to the conference center. For the SAME PRICE as the bland chain hotels, we loved our 5 night stay here. It is a central location for sight-seeing and shopping. There are also lots of restaurants in the area (for breakfast, lunch and dinner). The fitness center was never crowded and was clean with modern equipment. The hotel is also well located near the river for joggers who want to get outside.
The staff was indeed really friendly and go out of their way to chat and make you feel at home and give tips when asked. It was the little things that mattered - I needed a AAA battery and instead of sending me across the street to the convenience store, they had one brought up to the room within 5 minutes, for free. There is also free purified water (from big water bottles, not the tap/ not a water fountain) in the hallways.
We've traveled a lot around the world and I wish I could duplicate their service and value for money elsewhere.
The only 'negative' I could say was the room sizes - we saw another double room that was rather small, so I think it depends what room you get.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 16, 2010

Took the rating here as a sign that this meant it was over the top service/hotel but learnt my lesson. While the hotel has a great location the hotel itself doesn't match what I think of when I think of top hotels. For me a top hotel isn't just the location or the value its about simply being over the top amazing, great service, amazing design and comfort.

So the Lenox has a very old charm to it, some people might feel that is really amazing and really enjoy it here. But for me when the furniture is old, miss matched and just not very functional its not for me a typical modern/high-end business traveler.

Reason I gave them a average for cleanliness is NOT that they are at all dirty but in that the furniture is old/worn. So yes thats part of the style but it gives a sense of dirtiness even if there is no dirt on the items. Some people will absolutely love this style but just wasn't for me. This is also why I gave them an average on the rooms, but the rooms are good in they are big and top floor rooms have a good view.

So the only area where I have them a poor rating and which they sadly deserved is in their service. During my stay I had a couple problems, they where:

1) I had made a request to have a clean toothbrush sent to my room everyday. Now that might seem odd, but I was having a major gum infection and don't like to re-use germ invested toothbrushes. This request wasn't remembered, had to reminded them several times and in the end I just gave up asking.

2) Room service really needs to figure a better way of dealing with things. As when they bring you the food they'll either come back in 1 hour and knock on the door asking for the tray back or call you doing the same. I just found this a little frustrating as I'm trying to relax in bed and unwind and have to get a robe on answer the door just to give a try back. I'd sure hope with the room rate I and others are paying they could buy a couple extra trays and not have to bother guests.

3) Now a case of I wonder what they will do in this situation happened. During my stay I had bought something from a local store. It came in a box, i took it out of the box, saw it wasn't what I wanted and put it and the box together with my bags as I planned to return this to the store. A few days pasted and went to my bags to get this item to return to the store, while the item was still there the box wasn't. I was confused and called down to front desk. It turned out that housekeeping had thrown the box out thinking it was garbage. But this puzzled me as to housekeepings logic as this box was with my bags and was new and nowhere near any garbage bin. So the wonder what they'll do part started. I didn't demand or direct the lady, I simply asked what should I do as I needed to return this item to the store. Her response was I should take the hotels business card and if the store didn't like that i was returning an item without any packaging that they could call and verify the story with the hotel. Now I rate this as a poor response to this situation, for me to have to go back to the store, give a story and may or may not get my money back just seemed a little put all the work on the customer. Had it been in my opinion handled better they would have apologized, taken my receipt and the item, given me the refund themselves and either themselves attempt to return the product or simply absorb the costs if the store refused to return the item. But sadly thats not what they did and in the end I myself just went to the store, said nothing and was lucky that the store unlike the lenox handled the problem professionally.

So yes those 3 things might not be the worst things in the world, but they are not something I'd expect from a top rated hotel. Which is why I gave them a poor rating as to just ensure that these items are hopefully noted and addressed.

I'd still recommend people to stay at this hotel if you don't drive, as if you drive the cost of the hotel really isn't a value point. But if you are in the train or taxi around, the hotel has a good location and the rates are lower then some of the others in the same area. But if you want modern style with high-end service this isn't for you.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business