“Disappointing this time around”
Review of Lenox Hotel

Lenox Hotel
Ranked #6 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I previously stayed at the Lenox last year on a business trip and gave it a glowing 5-star review. When it came to returning back this year (on a business trip again) I was looking forward to staying here again. However, I didn't such a great experience this time around. I'm not sure if this is a sign of standards slipping or if it means I just got lucky last time...

First up, the room was much, much smaller than before (despite it being the same type). I guess it's just the luck of the draw which one you get. I really could've done with more closet space - it was tiny - not even big enough to squeeze in my medium-sized suitcase. The bathroom was also small too and felt a bit claustrophobic.

Also I had a problem with the TV which was never really resolved. It wouldn't switch on at first, then when it did, it would intermittently come on and go off. I quickly reported and they sent up an engineer. After trying various things he eventually brought me a "new" TV which worked for the first evening, but the same problems returned the following evening. I didn't have an hour to wait to get it fixed again, plus I was only there for one more night, so I didn't report it. This wasn't such a big deal as I didn't spend that much time in the room but, to be honest, the whole thing felt a bit sloppy (especially since the engineer assured me it was a new TV).

Room service was another negative. Not a huge selection, way overpriced (I paid $30 for a sandwich and a beer) and when it arrived it was dry and rather tasteless. Needless to say I only ordered this one night... My advice would be to eat downstairs at the restaurant or the bar. The food is delicious!

The good points: the room was spotlessly clean, the toiletries (Aveda) were great, and the peanut M&Ms at turn-down and free coffee/tea in the lobby were nice touches.

Overall, it's still a good hotel. I was just let-down after having such an excellent stay last year. And it did make me consider whether I got lucky and it was just a one-off. For that reason, I don't think the Lenox would be my first choice again next time I'm in Boston.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank KevHurst
Write a ReviewReviews (3,467)

Reviewed December 8, 2012

First I want to thank all the staff at The Lennox for making our short stay in Boston very memorable. From check-in to check-out everything was the best. We would definitely stay here on our next visit to Boston.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank fldave
Reviewed December 8, 2012

The great reviews we had read of this hotel were true. Everyone was friendly so it had more of a feel of a small inn. The three restaurants, bars, were much more inviting than the typical hotel fare. We did not catch his name but the doorman( we think) guided us to two seats at the City Table bar( after asking a woman to move over one) and then told the bartender our drinks were on him.We go to Boston fairly often and the price would be the only thing to hold us back from staying at the Lenox on a regular basis.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie C
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I hve recently returned from a third stay at The Lenox in Boston, Boston is a vibrant, interesting and civilised city and The Lenox is ideally positioned to enjoy every aspect of the place. We walked to the river, for a pleasant stroll before unpacking. There are two huge malls a few minutes walk from the hotel, Boston Library is almost next door, the subway station is closer still and there is a massive supermarket nearby too. The welcome upon arrival is warm; the staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly and can provide any information needed to enhance once's stay. The rooms are comfortable and the reception areas particularly pleasant. We will be back.

Room Tip: We have stayed in three different parts of the hotel and each has been equally convenient and comfor...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sylvia L
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Wonderful, homey, warmly quaint hotel in the heart of Boston. The rooms are cozy, the size of the hotel is just right and the staff could not be more pleasant...from the doorman to the front desk folks to the cleaning staff. We were there in early December and the place was in a festive but not overwhelmingly kitsch holiday mood. I've been here before and will be back.

Room Tip: See if you can get a corner room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank davidinathens
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We have just returned from 4 nights stay at this hotel. It s one of the best hotels we have stayed in. All the staff from the check in to the ladies who looked after our room were so friendly and helpful. Your bed is turned down every night and chocolates left on your pillow also 2 bottles of water left in your fridge every day. The City Bar in the hotel is excellent.the only negative s the bathroom is small but spotless so we could live with that. When we return to Boston we will be staying at the Lenox.By the way the Christmas decorations in the lobby were fabulous.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rosemarydub
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed here as part of a Red Sox package. The hotel is class from the front door all the way up. Welcoming greeting by staff. Helpful check in, beautifully appointed rooms. Ours had a fireplace and an awesome view of the Boston Marathon finish line. The room was gigantic, but welcoming. It is located in a beautiful part of town, walk to anywhere you'd like. I can certainly see why the Red Sox use this as part of a luxury package. We were not disappointed for a single second. First class all the way.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple