“Great location for easy walk, can get "edgy" on weekends and evenings”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden
Ranked #71 of 83 Hotels in Boston
“Great location for easy walk, can get "edgy" on weekends and evenings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

First, the location is RIGHT in front of the Garden (Sports complex in Boston), so when there are games, be warned it will get rowdy - and we are from Philly and know what that means; Loitering, smoking, filthy language is part of the after-scene.
Second, the street itself also has more local bars and pubs, and not the neighborhood grill type... "townie bar" is the way to describe it, with a clear and obvious "bouncer" presence outside each establishment. Given that we had a 5 year old with us, it was somewhat shady in the evenings and especially so since we stayed there during one of the Stanley Cup games, even though the Bruins were away. The hotel is literally next to the sports studio they broadcast from after home games, so it is just best to keep in mind that while its location may be nice and close for games, it can get a little crazy. There is a liquor store, pubs, bars, restaurants all within walking distance. Since the town knew it would be crazy, they had a great police presence as well. (be sure to thank one of them when you walk by… they are nice folks )
Additionally, there is a Hostel on the same street, half a block down.
Hotel itself:
Elevator was horrifically slow, so you may be better taking stairs under several circumstances.
Breakfast area was VERY small and very crowded, so the first morning we basically skipped it…. we were in no mood to ask the “lone travelers” (of which there were several) to try and move from a table with 5 chairs so we could sit with our daughter.
Business and fitness center are like most Express’s… one or two treadmills and bikes. Cleanliness was average, since we found our Channel listing card to be filthy along with the remote. No dishes or silverware in the cabinets for the room we had with a sink and fridge.
Valet was great, but VERY pricey to tip and store car… there is no reasonable parking otherwise, and they have to park the car at a garage a few blocks away, so it is a challenge to “keep things in your car for later”, and they need a solid 20 minutes to get it for you.
We had a plumbing issue in our bathroom, but it was handled VERY quickly, professionally and empathetically - so the service was outstanding and the staff very nice, considerate, attentive and aware. Overall, the hotel itself is clean and relatively up-to-date, with a few minor annoyances that come with any old building, cheap machinery (yet still functional) and life itself. The location itself and the fact it was family travel prevents me from giving it any more than 3 stars. It would be 4 had I been traveling for leisure, business or for a game.

Room Tip: room 310 had a small fridge, sink, etc... and was not anywhere near the the streets, so no noise to...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Brownmike,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. We're so glad you found our staff to be friendly and attentive. Please accept our deepest apology for the over-all experience you had during your stay. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Centurion, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Nice Hotel with great staff! Clean rooms and the standard Express breakfast. The Fitness room is pathetic but the hotel made arangements for guests to use the gym across the street at a very low cost which was great!
Hotel is on the old town Trolley route (hop on hop off) so if you are a tourist - great venue!

• Stayed June 2013
GMJamieGleason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear NielWorldTravel,

We appreciate and value your feedback, thank you. We were glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the great staff, but we apologize that the fitness center was not up to your standards. With free weights, 2 treadmills, one recumbent bike and an elliptical machine our fitness room usually fills the needs of most guests. But that is why we have the arrangement with the gym outside of our front door for other guests looking for more. We are glad that you were able to use the facilities.
We hope to see you again when your travels bring you to Boston.
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Wonderful, clean hotel centrally located to most Boston attractions. King suite accommodated our young family of 5. Free breakfast was wonderful each morning. Hotel was virtually soundproof. Right across the street from TD Garden (we took the train from Portland and walked with luggage). Walking distance to Aquarium, Faneuil Hall & Quincy Market, Commons & Public Gardens, Museum of Science. Hotel was clean, staff were wonderful, the concierge remembered us each morning and asked about our activities from the previous day. Will definitely stay again!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello Keri C, thank you for submitting a review of your stay.
We were excited to hear that the hotel was "wonderful, clean and centrally located". Also that the breakfast was wonderful and that you and your family enjoyed the king suite! That is a great room! We hope that you will come back again with your family soon. We appreciated having you as our guest. Thank you.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

You'll have to excuse the noise from the street below, loud, pounding music from a white Lexus, garbage truck pick-up at 2 am, you are staying in downtown Boston after all. You are within walking distance to Little Italy, the financial/government district, famous historical sites, the Charles River wharf, Boston Commons, Feneuil Hall, shopping and the ``T`` (North Station transit stop nearly at your door) will take you everywhere.
The staff are terrific, especially at the front desk.
The daily self-serve breakfast gave you a great start for the day.
Overall, a good experience.

Dear Rick A,
Thank you for your recent feedback and comments regarding your stay with us. It was great to hear the staff was terrific and the location was great. We do apologize for the noise you experienced. We do offer interior rooms away from the street that are more quiet and might be a better option for future stays. Please let us know for next time and we will gladly reserve one for you. Thank you again for choosing to be our guest. Have a great day!
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I really liked the location of this hotel. It was a quick and cheap taxi ride from the airport (10 minutes, $20), it was a block from the North subway station which has a non-stop green line train to the Museum of Fine Arts (which is then a walk across the park to see Fenway), it was just 5 minutes walk to the narrow, picturesque, marvelous streets and alleys of Beacon Hill which are lovely to explore, then you walk out of the Beacon Hill area and you're at Boston Commons and the start of the Freedom Trail! We did all those things in one evening and one full day in Boston and this hotel was the perfect tourist base. We arrived on an evening when they had a hockey game at the Gardens, and the streets were wonderfully full of boisterous people and families in team shirts, eating at all the nearby sports bars. It was fun to see. There is a good sports bar called "The Fours" around the corner that actually had very good food. And the hotel has a woman managing the breakfast buffet who was so sweet and happy and helpful. She asked about your plans for the day, and the next morning actually remembered what those plans were and checked to see if you'd enjoyed yourself. A very pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Our room was quiet as could be on a game night, but it was an inside room on an upper floor.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

There is an interesting array of reviews on this hotel. My advice is to know what's important to you and remember that it's all about balance. For this particular trip here's what was important to me: 1) Distance to TD Garden and 2) Price. That's about it. I was lucky enough to be in town to watch the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup, actually, the most important part of the trip well beyond what my hotel was like. However with those two hotel criteria met, I'd say that the rest of the experience was an added bonus. Every person I interacted with at this hotel was very helpful and courteous. I can recall at least 5 people who were very pleasant. I was given a Stanley Cup cookie upon arrival, and a choice of two items from a snack basket being a part of Holiday Inn's guest program. Another bonus was the free wifi, given I got to town without a ticket. Fast speed as well. Then, needing to print my ticket, I appreciated the business center I used for free. My room was on the fifth floor, off of the street. It was very quiet, and spacious. Microwave, fridge included. As I mentioned, it is across the street from the Garden, so convenient. Besides that, there is a CVS less than a block, right next to the train station. Super easy to the airport ($25 cab, vs. $2.50 train). Lots of bars a block away. Now, as some others have commented...are the hallways a bit rundown? Perhaps. Elevator slow? Yep. A little overpriced because of the game? Yep. Did it cause great harm? Nope. After grabbing some free breakfast and getting detailed advice on the train, I was on my way and happy as a clam. Thanks for a nice stay.

Room Tip: I had 507. Strange high up windows but quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Julie B,
Thank you for your detailed feedback and we are happy to hear your stay went well. We pride ourselves on providing great service for the guest, so to hear that everyone was helpful and courteous was fantastic. We hope to see you again when you travels bring you to Boston.
Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and for being a rewards member with Holiday Inn.
Atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel looks to have received a fresh coat of paint, but beyond that, there's little value to be found. I stayed in this hotel for two nights during a business trip (I had booked 3 nights). To begin, the elevator was horribly, painfully slow.Next, the door to my room didn't open or close properly due to what seemed to be a case of warped wood and/or uneven flooring. The bathtub had deep scratch marks relieving a brownish/orange rust. The tub and toilet also had remnants of hair. The room was equipt with a desk; however, there were no power outlets near the desk. I spent both nights attempting to use my laptop in bed (near a power outlet). To make matters worse, the room also lacked adequate lighting.

During June of 2013, Boston was unseasonably cool; the first night of my stay, my room was quite cold. I called the front desk to ask why I could not warm my room (although the thermostat was turned up to 80 degrees). I was informed that the hotel's system had been switched to cooling mode and there was no option for heat. During my second night, the room was so cold, I awoke to find I had pulled the thin blanket over my head in attempt to stay warm.

On the last night of my stay, a neighboring room had their TV volume turned up so loud that I could clearly hear the broadcast in my room. It took two calls and having to raise my voice with the front desk to prompt the hotel to take any action. I do not believe the hotel staff made any attempt on the first call to investigate the issue- on the second call, the desk employee stated that he heard no noise at my room, however, the TV was so loud that it could be clearly heard from the elevator.

In addition to the basic issues with the room and the management's inaction regarding inappropriate noise by the hotel's guest, the street noise awoke me several times during the night- police sires, drunk people, and general disruptions. Game night, during the second night of my stay, the street noise was intolerable. Offering earplugs to "fix" this issue, would have been a band-aid and an insult.

After the second night (and very little sleep), I booked a room at a different hotel, packed up, and left.

Room Tip: Avoid street facing room. Stay on a low floor as to avoid use of the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Robert S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear wikedloki,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. It is most disappointing to hear of your overall dissatisfaction and we regret we failed to deliver a satisfactory experience on this occasion. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect. I have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to this identified weakness.

Joel B