“Great family hotel withing walking distance of most attractions”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden
Ranked #75 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Fredericton, Canada
“Great family hotel withing walking distance of most attractions”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Wonderful, clean hotel centrally located to most Boston attractions. King suite accommodated our young family of 5. Free breakfast was wonderful each morning. Hotel was virtually soundproof. Right across the street from TD Garden (we took the train from Portland and walked with luggage). Walking distance to Aquarium, Faneuil Hall & Quincy Market, Commons & Public Gardens, Museum of Science. Hotel was clean, staff were wonderful, the concierge remembered us each morning and asked about our activities from the previous day. Will definitely stay again!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMJamieGleason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Hello Keri C, thank you for submitting a review of your stay.
We were excited to hear that the hotel was "wonderful, clean and centrally located". Also that the breakfast was wonderful and that you and your family enjoyed the king suite! That is a great room! We hope that you will come back again with your family soon. We appreciated having you as our guest. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2013

You'll have to excuse the noise from the street below, loud, pounding music from a white Lexus, garbage truck pick-up at 2 am, you are staying in downtown Boston after all. You are within walking distance to Little Italy, the financial/government district, famous historical sites, the Charles River wharf, Boston Commons, Feneuil Hall, shopping and the ``T`` (North Station transit stop nearly at your door) will take you everywhere.
The staff are terrific, especially at the front desk.
The daily self-serve breakfast gave you a great start for the day.
Overall, a good experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Rick A,
Thank you for your recent feedback and comments regarding your stay with us. It was great to hear the staff was terrific and the location was great. We do apologize for the noise you experienced. We do offer interior rooms away from the street that are more quiet and might be a better option for future stays. Please let us know for next time and we will gladly reserve one for you. Thank you again for choosing to be our guest. Have a great day!
Colorado
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I really liked the location of this hotel. It was a quick and cheap taxi ride from the airport (10 minutes, $20), it was a block from the North subway station which has a non-stop green line train to the Museum of Fine Arts (which is then a walk across the park to see Fenway), it was just 5 minutes walk to the narrow, picturesque, marvelous streets and alleys of Beacon Hill which are lovely to explore, then you walk out of the Beacon Hill area and you're at Boston Commons and the start of the Freedom Trail! We did all those things in one evening and one full day in Boston and this hotel was the perfect tourist base. We arrived on an evening when they had a hockey game at the Gardens, and the streets were wonderfully full of boisterous people and families in team shirts, eating at all the nearby sports bars. It was fun to see. There is a good sports bar called "The Fours" around the corner that actually had very good food. And the hotel has a woman managing the breakfast buffet who was so sweet and happy and helpful. She asked about your plans for the day, and the next morning actually remembered what those plans were and checked to see if you'd enjoyed yourself. A very pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Our room was quiet as could be on a game night, but it was an inside room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 25, 2013

There is an interesting array of reviews on this hotel. My advice is to know what's important to you and remember that it's all about balance. For this particular trip here's what was important to me: 1) Distance to TD Garden and 2) Price. That's about it. I was lucky enough to be in town to watch the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup, actually, the most important part of the trip well beyond what my hotel was like. However with those two hotel criteria met, I'd say that the rest of the experience was an added bonus. Every person I interacted with at this hotel was very helpful and courteous. I can recall at least 5 people who were very pleasant. I was given a Stanley Cup cookie upon arrival, and a choice of two items from a snack basket being a part of Holiday Inn's guest program. Another bonus was the free wifi, given I got to town without a ticket. Fast speed as well. Then, needing to print my ticket, I appreciated the business center I used for free. My room was on the fifth floor, off of the street. It was very quiet, and spacious. Microwave, fridge included. As I mentioned, it is across the street from the Garden, so convenient. Besides that, there is a CVS less than a block, right next to the train station. Super easy to the airport ($25 cab, vs. $2.50 train). Lots of bars a block away. Now, as some others have commented...are the hallways a bit rundown? Perhaps. Elevator slow? Yep. A little overpriced because of the game? Yep. Did it cause great harm? Nope. After grabbing some free breakfast and getting detailed advice on the train, I was on my way and happy as a clam. Thanks for a nice stay.

Room Tip: I had 507. Strange high up windows but quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Julie B,
Thank you for your detailed feedback and we are happy to hear your stay went well. We pride ourselves on providing great service for the guest, so to hear that everyone was helpful and courteous was fantastic. We hope to see you again when you travels bring you to Boston.
Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and for being a rewards member with Holiday Inn.
Atlanta
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel looks to have received a fresh coat of paint, but beyond that, there's little value to be found. I stayed in this hotel for two nights during a business trip (I had booked 3 nights). To begin, the elevator was horribly, painfully slow.Next, the door to my room didn't open or close properly due to what seemed to be a case of warped wood and/or uneven flooring. The bathtub had deep scratch marks relieving a brownish/orange rust. The tub and toilet also had remnants of hair. The room was equipt with a desk; however, there were no power outlets near the desk. I spent both nights attempting to use my laptop in bed (near a power outlet). To make matters worse, the room also lacked adequate lighting.

During June of 2013, Boston was unseasonably cool; the first night of my stay, my room was quite cold. I called the front desk to ask why I could not warm my room (although the thermostat was turned up to 80 degrees). I was informed that the hotel's system had been switched to cooling mode and there was no option for heat. During my second night, the room was so cold, I awoke to find I had pulled the thin blanket over my head in attempt to stay warm.

On the last night of my stay, a neighboring room had their TV volume turned up so loud that I could clearly hear the broadcast in my room. It took two calls and having to raise my voice with the front desk to prompt the hotel to take any action. I do not believe the hotel staff made any attempt on the first call to investigate the issue- on the second call, the desk employee stated that he heard no noise at my room, however, the TV was so loud that it could be clearly heard from the elevator.

In addition to the basic issues with the room and the management's inaction regarding inappropriate noise by the hotel's guest, the street noise awoke me several times during the night- police sires, drunk people, and general disruptions. Game night, during the second night of my stay, the street noise was intolerable. Offering earplugs to "fix" this issue, would have been a band-aid and an insult.

After the second night (and very little sleep), I booked a room at a different hotel, packed up, and left.

Room Tip: Avoid street facing room. Stay on a low floor as to avoid use of the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Robert S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear wikedloki,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. It is most disappointing to hear of your overall dissatisfaction and we regret we failed to deliver a satisfactory experience on this occasion. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect. I have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to this identified weakness.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Boston hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I could sit and write a book about this stay, I will sum it up by hitting the highlights. Here is the email I sent to Priority Club Platimum Customer Relations. I have been Platinum with Holiday Inn for many years.

Hotel itself, old, and run down, loby looks decent, but rooms are not. Outlets for instance, so old that they have stuff growing in and around them, they are so worn out that I could nto get my stuff to stay plugged in unless I put something under it to hold it from falling out. AC looks like it has been used as a punching bag, and sounded like someone was in porecess of punching it. Not worth the $240 I paid, maybe for this location worth around $120 at the highest.

Not normally one to complain, has been several years since I
>had an issue worth taking this time to complain to Holiday Inn. I made
>2 reservations for the same night, myself and co worker. We checked in
>and explained that we will each pay for 1 room and 1 valet. When I
>checked out the desk clerk told me that I did not have any reservation
>under my name so he could not furnish me a bill, even thou the 2
>reservations were originally under my name. He then went on to state
>that the reservations had been changed to my co workers name and his
>Priority Club account, but ALL THE CHARGES were to stay under my credit
>card. Boy that is a good deal for me, when i stated my dissatisfaction
>with this, he stated there was nothing he could do about it, he stated
>that I might have done something wrong when I made the reservations or
>checked in. After expressing that I will not pay for both rooms and
>both valets, he was able to get the charges correct, or at least he
>stated it should be, I am not very confident at this point. He then
>stated that I was out of luck on my points, again, not very happy. The
>hotel itself was sub-par at best for the price I paid, only reason I
>stayed there was for my loyalty, now at the end I dont even get that.
>When I called Customer Relations, I asked if I could assure that I
>received a survey for this stay, I clearly expressed I was disatisfied,
>the person stated no, that surveys are generated by the hotel, I went
>on to state that I planned on sharing this experience on my Corporate
>Blog, Trip Advisor, Face Book, Twitter and anywhere else I can, she
>basically told me to have a nice day and call ended. Needless to say,
>after being a Platinum memeber with your company for as long as I have
>been, I am beside myself with anger right now. I will do as I planned
>and blast my experience with this hotel and with customer relations to
>all I can. At this point I will also take a nice break from Holiday Inn
>and spend some time and money with Marriott. Stayed there a few nights
>this year, because Holiday Inn was not available. They were pleasant
>stays. If my credit card charges are not corrected, I will file a
>complaint with American Express and dispute the charges. As an Account
>Exectuitve myself, I understand what customer relations and customer
>service means, your staff member had the opportunity to turn this around when she heard my anger and disastifaction, she opted not to. Shame on her and your company for that.

Room Tip: You want a good room here, simple do pay for one.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ggoobx4
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear ggoobx4,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am sorry you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We are 1 day home and our legs are all bit up.. STAY AWAY!!!! Afraid to take our bags in the house. We wanted to stay for the Garden location but we would have been better off with taking a cab. The location is key.. the rooms are old and bare. I would deal with that, but not the bugs. GROSS

Room Tip: dont bother
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
GMJamieGleason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
I read your comment and would need more information to better assist. I can honestly say we have NEVER had a complaint of this nature and ALL our rooms are checked frequently by professionals. Please contact me to provide more information. Thank you. gm@hiexboston.com