“Skip the breakfast !”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden
Ranked #75 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This Holiday Inn express hotel is well located near North end and on wlaking distance from many sights. I stayed here for four nights during a business trip, the rooms were all different and a bit outdated (I changed rooms twice), some windows wouldn't open which was uncomfy since the hotel is very very hot for some reason. There was on old ramshackle elevator which was dirty, every time I had to take it I was relieved it wouldn't get stuck. Breakfast is served in an open area next to the reception and was really poor, scrambled eggs and omelettes that didn't taste like anything, sugary juices and everything served on plastic plates. There is no restaurant in the hotel (although many in the area around) and no mini-bar. The good point of this hotel is the staff who are very friendly and will go out of their way to please their guests.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MarNL
GMJamieGleason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Hello and thank you for your feedback. Thank you for your nice comments regarding the location and especially the staff. My apologies for the hotel being overly hot as we are installing a new system to run AC through the winter months. Also I am sorry you did not enjoy the breakfast. We receive a lot of positive feedback on how good our breakfast is and the numerous selections we offer like the scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hot and cold cereals, fruit, yogurt, biscuits and our famous Holiday Inn Express Cinnamon Rolls to name a few! We hope that you will chose to stay with us again in the future and thank you again for telling us about your stay.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden

Reviewed December 19, 2012

A quirky but nice hotel in a good location. Great front desk staff, small but nice lobby, slow elevator (but a new one is coming soon), larger-than-expected double room (ours had a pull-out couch and small kitchenette), walking distance to the North End and Quincy Market. CVS store around the corner, Boston Beer Works 1 street over, and a T-stop close by as well. The street itself is a little grungy but that didn't bother us. Our only complaints were the temperature in our room (it was incredibly hot and turning down the thermostat and opening the window didn't help) and the lack of overhead lighting in our room. Also, we requested a room on the back side of the hotel and didn't hear any street noise, which was great (esp. since we had the window open!).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Elizabeth N
GMJamieGleason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and providing us feedback on your visit. We appreciate the great review of the staff and are happy to hear they did a great job! Also regarding our location, we to believe we have a great location for all sorts of traveling needs. I do however apologize that the room temperature was too hot. Please let us know in the future and we will gladly assist. Thank you and please come back and be our guest again soon.

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

The location for an event at TD Garden is the best. The staff was super helpful and attentive. The condition of the hotel and rooms is where it ended for us. The rooms were basic HI Express decor. When we arrived to the room the mirror was crooked and a drawer on the night stand was falling out. You will see from some of my pictures that the bathroom needs some help. The tubs need to be refinished. The sink and wallpaper are falling apart. There was toothpaste (or some white substance) on the wall. The bar of soap that was provided was not wrapped, had dust/dirt on it, and looked like it had been there for ages. Lighting in the room was horrible and we had to unplug a floor lamp to turn it off. It is just time to do a major renovation.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank farmersdaughter22
GMJamieGleason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Hello and thank you for your feedback. It is feedback like yours that assists us in getting better. First, thank you for the nice comments regarding our "Super helpful and attentive staff". We pride ourselves on service and I will make sure to share these with our team. But regarding some issues that took place during your stay, I can assure you that this is not normal practice and will be addressed immediately. At your convenience please contact me direct to discuss further. Thank you again and we hope that you will give us another chance for your future travel needs.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Booked this hotel for a weekend getaway with my wife from DC.

Pros:
To my surprise this hotel was in front of TD Garden, Celtics were playing and we had a great time. Metro (subway) station is also in front so transportation around is fairly easy to move around the city. Haymarket and Quincy Market are a short 5 -10min walking distance, so I almost did not use the metro. Pickup station for the trolleys are also in front of property, this was fantastic. Over all hotel has a great location and for our weekend it had a competitive rate compared with other properties. Area is very lively and surrounded by pubs and restaurants.

Cons: One of mayor downside is that there is a club beside the hotel, so we checked on a weekend and were in time for the next door party. Earbuds on the bed were a warning of what was to come. We had a bad first night of sleep, loud music, people screaming in the street..

Staff was friendly and moved us to the 4th floor facing the TD Garden and we had no problems there.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor and room not facing Friend Street, there is a club beside.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jcmontys
GMJamieGleason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I hope you enjoyed your weekend away with your wife. I really appreciate knowing that you enjoyed our convenient location, friendly staff and the Celtics game! I do however apologize for the level of noise outside of the hotel. I am glad that to hear that the room move had helped. Thank you for bringing that to the attention of the staff. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us an hope to see you again in the future. Thank you!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

GOOD: Right across the street from the TD Garden. Hotel had a decent breakfast. Rooms and bathrooms (we had two rooms) looked like they were recently remodeled and were spacious and clean.

BAD: Gets noisy after sporting events as there are many bars nearby. Interior walls must be thin because we could hear people out in the hall as if they were standing in our room.

Staff was okay at best; not friendly or helpful. The binder in the room with restaurant info was very outdated; a few of the restaurants I called were already out of business. The TV guide was also outdated as a lot of the channels were wrong. When I brought this to the attention of the manager on duty he seemed indifferent and didn't seem to be interested in fixing the problem- I bet this was not the first time a guest brought this to his attention. One of the front desk personnel - a young man - tried to hit on my college age daughter; NOT very professional!!!

Summary: If you are going to the TD Garden you can't beat this location. Service sucks though so if that is important to you then look elsewhere since you can take public transportation to the TD Garden from practically anywhere.

Room Tip: If you stay here ask for a room on the quiet side of the building, away from the streets.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HIguy808

Thank you for leaving your feedback on your recent stay. We appreciated the nice comments regarding the location, the rooms and the cleanliness of the property. With that said I was not pleased to hear some of the things that you mentioned negatively regarding your experiences. We pride ourselves on service so to hear that you did not receive fantastic service troubles me. Please contact me directly as I would like to discuss further. I can assure you I would like to handle this matter to your liking immediately. Thank you again for staying with us and for giving us your feedback.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I had a 2-day meeting in Boston and decided to try to get away from the convention hotels and see some of Boston. This hotel is definitely got me away from the convention scene, and I got the impression that many clientele at the hotel are there for sporting events. I arrived late and noticed that there are many sort of seedy looking Irish bars around the area, but I regard this as sort of a plus when looking for atmosphere. Unfortunately, I never did get time to check out any of them. The hotel itself was good, friendly and efficient check-in, clean, comfortable and spacious room on the top (5th) floor. No minibar, fridge or microwave, but there's a coffee maker in the room, and snacks are offered upon check-in to Priority members. There's also a "sundries" selection near reception. Half of the items there require a microwave, so I guess that means there is one nearby, but I did not see one. I don't know if this is a purpose-built hotel or was converted from something else, but the hotel is a bit like a rabbit warren and even after 2 days I still got lost in the hallways. This is what sets it apart from most HIE's that I have stayed in, most of which are exactly alike. There is only 1 working elevator (and the promise of a second) which made getting up and down slow at times. Breakfast was OK - the standard HIE items. Although the breakfast area was small, it seemed to be sufficient. There's a taxi rank just outside, very convenient for getting around, and only 10 minutes to the airport. The desk staff were always friendly and I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: There was quite a lot street noise outside the bars across the street on Friday night but we were on...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Renee D

Hello and thank you for your feedback from your stay. We at the Holiday Inn Express Boston Garden really appreciate the details you provided and the nice comments regarding the cleanliness, the hotel being comfortable and especially our staff! I will be sure to share your comments with the team! Also I do apologize that the elevator was slow due to over use. We are very excited to have our brand new elevator finished and ready for the guests this month. Next time you travel to the city please give me a call. We do offer rooms and suites with microwaves, fridges and kitchenettes that may suit you better and I will be sure to place you in one of these. Thank you again and have a great day.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

$270 per night?No way!
Has 2 elevators one of them was out of order the other one the last day before my check out was oth of order too....I should bring down my luggage ...was lucky that a sweet room service lady helped with my 2 luggage !
Meanwhile they call me that I was late to check-out for 20 min! Check in is 3 pm check out 11am!!!

Room Tip: Had a handy cap room which was ok if you ignore that closet was an open one in the bathroom...(proba...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
GMJamieGleason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Thank you for giving us your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay with us went. I do apologize for the elevator issues. We have one main elevator and a NEW elevator that will be done next week! We are very excited to get the new elevator going for our guests. Also thank you for mentioning the call after checkout time. We do call all guests after the checkout time if they have not requested a late checkout. If a late checkout is needed we usually have no problem extending one. It is our hope that the service during your stay was great. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you in the future.