“Good location to TD Garden events”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden
Ranked #75 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed December 3, 2012

GOOD: Right across the street from the TD Garden. Hotel had a decent breakfast. Rooms and bathrooms (we had two rooms) looked like they were recently remodeled and were spacious and clean.

BAD: Gets noisy after sporting events as there are many bars nearby. Interior walls must be thin because we could hear people out in the hall as if they were standing in our room.

Staff was okay at best; not friendly or helpful. The binder in the room with restaurant info was very outdated; a few of the restaurants I called were already out of business. The TV guide was also outdated as a lot of the channels were wrong. When I brought this to the attention of the manager on duty he seemed indifferent and didn't seem to be interested in fixing the problem- I bet this was not the first time a guest brought this to his attention. One of the front desk personnel - a young man - tried to hit on my college age daughter; NOT very professional!!!

Summary: If you are going to the TD Garden you can't beat this location. Service sucks though so if that is important to you then look elsewhere since you can take public transportation to the TD Garden from practically anywhere.

Room Tip: If you stay here ask for a room on the quiet side of the building, away from the streets.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HIguy808
GMJamieGleason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Thank you for leaving your feedback on your recent stay. We appreciated the nice comments regarding the location, the rooms and the cleanliness of the property. With that said I was not pleased to hear some of the things that you mentioned negatively regarding your experiences. We pride ourselves on service so to hear that you did not receive fantastic service troubles me. Please contact me directly as I would like to discuss further. I can assure you I would like to handle this matter to your liking immediately. Thank you again for staying with us and for giving us your feedback.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I had a 2-day meeting in Boston and decided to try to get away from the convention hotels and see some of Boston. This hotel is definitely got me away from the convention scene, and I got the impression that many clientele at the hotel are there for sporting events. I arrived late and noticed that there are many sort of seedy looking Irish bars around the area, but I regard this as sort of a plus when looking for atmosphere. Unfortunately, I never did get time to check out any of them. The hotel itself was good, friendly and efficient check-in, clean, comfortable and spacious room on the top (5th) floor. No minibar, fridge or microwave, but there's a coffee maker in the room, and snacks are offered upon check-in to Priority members. There's also a "sundries" selection near reception. Half of the items there require a microwave, so I guess that means there is one nearby, but I did not see one. I don't know if this is a purpose-built hotel or was converted from something else, but the hotel is a bit like a rabbit warren and even after 2 days I still got lost in the hallways. This is what sets it apart from most HIE's that I have stayed in, most of which are exactly alike. There is only 1 working elevator (and the promise of a second) which made getting up and down slow at times. Breakfast was OK - the standard HIE items. Although the breakfast area was small, it seemed to be sufficient. There's a taxi rank just outside, very convenient for getting around, and only 10 minutes to the airport. The desk staff were always friendly and I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: There was quite a lot street noise outside the bars across the street on Friday night but we were on...
1  Thank Renee D

Hello and thank you for your feedback from your stay. We at the Holiday Inn Express Boston Garden really appreciate the details you provided and the nice comments regarding the cleanliness, the hotel being comfortable and especially our staff! I will be sure to share your comments with the team! Also I do apologize that the elevator was slow due to over use. We are very excited to have our brand new elevator finished and ready for the guests this month. Next time you travel to the city please give me a call. We do offer rooms and suites with microwaves, fridges and kitchenettes that may suit you better and I will be sure to place you in one of these. Thank you again and have a great day.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

$270 per night?No way!
Has 2 elevators one of them was out of order the other one the last day before my check out was oth of order too....I should bring down my luggage ...was lucky that a sweet room service lady helped with my 2 luggage !
Meanwhile they call me that I was late to check-out for 20 min! Check in is 3 pm check out 11am!!!

Room Tip: Had a handy cap room which was ok if you ignore that closet was an open one in the bathroom...(proba...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
GMJamieGleason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Thank you for giving us your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay with us went. I do apologize for the elevator issues. We have one main elevator and a NEW elevator that will be done next week! We are very excited to get the new elevator going for our guests. Also thank you for mentioning the call after checkout time. We do call all guests after the checkout time if they have not requested a late checkout. If a late checkout is needed we usually have no problem extending one. It is our hope that the service during your stay was great. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Had a quick in-and-out in the city, and loved this location. The parking was a bit expensive, but then again, what parking isn't in the city? There was a mix-up with a friend's reservation, and Jean up front took care of it no prob. In the morning, the next attendant was kind and gave us brekkie recommendations. Room was great!

1  Thank wandersmuch
GMJamieGleason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing to stay with us. We are pleased that you had a good stay and that Jean was helpful. It was great to hear that our recommendations, the room itself and our location were all great. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We just stayed there a couple of nights ago. I can't say enough about how friendly the front desk staff is. From the moment we walked in the door, throughout our stay and upon our checkout.

We rented a King Bed Suite. I was a little surprised that the kitchen area had nothing stocked. No plates, glasses, silverware, etc. Not even a bottle opener. My husband went down to the front desk and the person working was kind enough to give him his own bottle opener off of his keychain. Of course we returned it to him later that evening.

We do wish that it was made clear to us to put up the privacy sign before we went to bed that night. Beginning very early the maid service kept opening our door, rather loudly and realizing the security bar was closed. We were kind of shocked that there wasn't a knock first, and she kept at it about every 15 minutes until I hung up the sign. The bed was comfortable so its too bad. So much for sleeping in after a late night at the Celtics game, which by the way is literally a 1/2 block away.

A quick walk to the North End was pleasant and we found Mike's Pasties that we always hear the rave about. After I ate a canoli, I understand the rave :)

Back to the hotel, all in all it was a good stay. The front desk made us feel welcome and comfortable. The price was the best around by far. For just a couple dollars more, the valet parking was a huge convenience. The hotel itself could use some refreshing and updates but again the price can't be beat. Our bathtub was stained and we opted not to shower the next morning until we got home. The elevator is a little rickety and a lot of the ceiling tiles in the hallways were either missing, broken or had wires hanging out. Even with all that, I would stay here again if we have any other events at TD Garden to attend.

Room Tip: For a couple extra dollars we spent, having the suite was worth it. It was still small, but had a k...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMJamieGleason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay and providing us feedback! It is feedback like yours that help us to address any issues and get better for our guests. I really appreciate the kind comments regarding the staff and will be sure to share them with the team! Also regarding the few issues that took place, they are being addressed with the staff and will be corrected. Our new elevator is 99% complete and we are doing a lot of positive things to the hotel in the next couple of months. Please come back and see us soon and thank you again for being our guest.

Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

PERFECT location for spending time in North End eating at Mike's, Giacomo's, etc. or sightseeing on Freedom Trail incl. USS Constitution. Rest of Boston readily accessible. T stop across the street. Taxis also across street. Short cab ride or manageable walk to Boston Common. 5 min to Science Museum. Also perfect for Boston Garden. Our room had great view of Garden chaos after Celtics game. Kids liked sitting on ledge and looking out below.

Hotel obviously an older building. Perhaps apartments at one time. Some furnishings older and structure needs more TLC than a new one. That said, the room was very spacious with kitchen items and large closet. Bathroom very nicely remodeled. Many Boston hotel rooms are cramped by comparison.

Breakfast as good as any at HI Express - better than most, in fact. No shortage of food nearby for lunch and dinner. CVS drug store right nearby.

Brought a few minor housekeeping oversights to manager's attention (Amy) and she graciously comp'ed an additional night and our parking.

So, if you want North End location and lots of value with responsive staff, don't hesitate to stay here. Families with kids will appreciate space, two sinks, fridge, etc.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Lovemykids2

Hello and thank you for sending feedback on your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that the location was great for your needs and that the staff was responsive and helpful. I am also glad that Amy was helpful with assisting with the issues you brought to her attention. Our number one goal is to make sure that our guests are happy, comfortable and satisfied while staying with us. Please come back and visit us again soon! Thank you!

Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

If you have business at the Federal building or need close access to Boston Garden this is the place.

The staff is awesome, the building is terrible. The building is in major general disrepair. Water stains, dangling light fixtures, and worst of all SLAMMING door closures. We got virtually no sleep our first 3 nights here due to doors SLAMMING all hours of the night. Stay on the top floor.

• Stayed: October 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear MidAltitudeWalkabout,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am pleased our location suited you well and glad you found our staff commendable. Please accept my sincere apology for the noise challenges you encountered during your stay. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the quality and service we offer to our guests. I hope that you will give us the pleasure of hosting you again on your next visit.

Joel B