“Family atmosphere and compassionate customer service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden
Ranked #70 of 83 Hotels in Boston
North Carolina
“Family atmosphere and compassionate customer service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

I normally stay at a facility closer to the hospital however much to my surprise and delight I was delightfully surprised at the Holiday Inn located 280 Friend St. Boston MA. If anyone has ever had surgery you know how cold you get after surgery. Of course the temperature in Boston at the time was 76 degrees but I was freezing. I called the front desk and several staff members went into action. I received two space heaters, & 3 down comforters! In addition to this the Customer Service award should go to the staff. Once they found out I had surgery they brought up freshly made Tea & saltines. Furthermore, due to the surgery I was unable to speak. They worked out a communication system that 1 beep on the phone was no, 2 beeps was yes & 3 beeps was I don't know! If I rung the front desk they asked the questions appropriately. Needless to say I was well taken care of as not only a guest but as someone would treat their family! Thanks go to maintenance, front desk and management for a job well done and excellent customer service!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMJahayraSantiago, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
It was a pleasure to meet you and thank you so much for your comments. I know the staff will be excited to read them! I hope everything is well with you and should you need anything, please do not hesitate to call. I am glad your stay was comfortable and that you were well taken care of.
Please take care!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Tottenham, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights while visiting Boston for our first time. The hotel is in an absolutely awesome location, walking distance to pretty much anywhere you would need to go. If you require transportation there is a subway station right across the street making it very easy to get around the city! The only reason I am rating this hotel a 3 is because it is a very old building as many are in the downtown area. The Hallways are very outdated, the elevator is extremely old. With that being said the rooms itself were good, nice bed and bathroom, very comfortable when you are in the room. We did see some other hotels within the downtown location and they did look very classy compared to this hotel. I do have to mention however the great service we received from the front desk staff! They were very friendly to us and always willing to assisst us with directions and questions. We pretty much only saw 2 front desk staff working these 4 days we were there morning through evening. They do work very hard and do a good job! I enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn Express Boston Garden! This is an average hotel in a great location within the city! If we were to return to Boston I would stay here again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank robrende
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback! I appreciate your kind words regarding the hotel, it's location and the staff. I will be sure to pass them on.
Again I appreciate your feedback and hope to see you on your next trip to Boston!
Toronto, ON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

All we needed is :
1. location to everywhere we wanted to go to,
2. good breakfast
3. room – clean comfy bed, washroom/shower, maybe internet
4. Gym

We’ve got it all – hard to rate this hotel – its very very old building. I think it’s used to be old residential building, or old factory. It has this musty smell.
My husband priority club member – so 3 nights cost us $0

Now if I’d be paying – maybe I’d have something to complain about, but I don’t know even know what about – smell? Old carpets? It’s not bothering me that much

They had pretty good small gym. There were couple of bars downstairs, we heard people during the nights but we were too tired after 12 hours touring around the city that we didn’t even paid attention to it.

Even though it look weird hotel location - the streets around this area are extremely safe.

I’m surprised parking cost you 36.00/night when there is $10.00 charge behind the corner on the same street? We didn’t have a car – we flew from Buffalo and used weekly transportation pass – 15.00/week – takes you anywhere you need to go – why drive?

Rooms were cleaned daily, fresh breakfast – bagels, toasts, cheese, eggs, muffins, juices, coffe/tea/ milk, yogurts, fruits – what else do you need?

Great customer service. Good place to stay

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sono1helen
We appreciate your feedback and comments regarding your stay. Also we appreciate your husband's loyalty to Priority Club Rewards! I will be sure to share the comments with the team and thank you again for choosing the Holiday Inn Express-Boston Garden!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

Located across from the Boston Garden and walking distance to the subway and commuter rail. Lots of bars and restaurants in the area. We were upgraded to a suite which was nice. Only negatives about the room was that the toilet continued to run if you didn't wiggle the handle and the thermostat was falling off the wall and didn't always work. Room had a separate bedroom with a flat screen TV. Room included a refrigerator. Holiday Inn Express always has a nice breakfast buffet and this one was no different. Friendly front desk staff. Overall a very good hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marybink
Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

I stayed for 10 nights for business purposes. I chose this hotel for three reasons:
1. It was available at the time of booking (two days prior to arrival)
2. It is walking distance from MGH (Mass General Hospital) which I was doing business with.
3. It was well priced, as they have special MGH rates.
Overall the hotel is just OK. The room is OK - not large but not very small. The bed is OK - not too comfy but not too bad either. Cleanliness is OK - not spotless clean, but not dirty, either. View - the gym across the street
The room contains a small kitchenette - totally unneeded for me. It also has a small fridge, which is always nice. It has a nice full HD TV - perfect for playing those movies off your laptop (if you bring the right cables).
The wifi worked OK - not very fast, not too sluggish.
The breakfast is complimentary and also OK. Some muffins, waffles, coffee, cereal - you really don't need more than that.
The fitness center is mediocre - a very small room with a not-really-working A/C, two treadmills, two bicycles, some dumbbells and a physio ball. You can pull off a workout, but that's pretty lame.
The staff is OK - not too friendly, but not obnoxious either.
The building is quite old, the elevator is lousy - gets stuck quite often.
The location was good for me, since it was close to my colleagues' office at the MGH. However, this street is somewhat shabby - there are always homeless people at the end of the street and a loud and sleazy bar nearby. Besides that the location is fine. A few nice pubs and sports bars in the parallel streets. There is a 7 eleven and a CVS nearby. It is also a decent location for Boston sightseeing, and right across from the TD garden if you are attending an event over there.
Overall it did the job for me, although I cannot say I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tal K
Yorktown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Doesn't look like much outside, but provided everything we needed.
Great location, clean with microwave, refridgerator and good breakfast.
Everything in the room worked and the bed was comfortable. Easy walking distance to Faneuil Hall and the North End area. The tour bus we chose had a stop virtually across the street.
The room was a tad crowded with the King size bed, but it was not a problem. I would recommend this as a good place for anyone on a sight-seeing visit to Boston.

Room Tip: get a room that doesn't face the health club across the street so you can leave blinds open
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Terry S
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

Made reservation via the official IHG website using Holiday Inn Rewards points. Wanted a room with two beds. That option was not presented. So I put a note and followed up with a phone call. Called again on the afternoon of arrival and requested that a room with two beds be kept aside for me as I was travelling with my daughter. Did not happen. We got a room (they call it suite) with one bed and one sofa bed. Could not sleep on the sofa bed as it was very saggy and ended up with a sore back. Slept the rest of the night on the floor.
Earlier could not find the remote control. Called front office and was assured that another one will be sent up. No one arrived for half an hour. Went down to get it myself. Was told they do not have a spare and that I should look for it under the bed or between the seats of the sofa. I told them that they should be doing that not me. Their come back was that if you don't want to look for it then use the controls on the TV. It was getting late at night so decided to go to bed instead. Left as soon as possible in the morning.
Tried to get a resolution thru their corporate customer relations department. They kept referring my complaint to hotel management suggesting that they will get back to me. After 4 attempts I did not hear back from hotel management so I gave up.
I am a Platinum Priority with Holiday Inn and this is the type of service I get. I am afraid to think what they do to average folks. Am seriously considering taking my business elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family