“An OK hotel. Noting more, nothing less.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden
Ranked #75 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I stayed for 10 nights for business purposes. I chose this hotel for three reasons:
1. It was available at the time of booking (two days prior to arrival)
2. It is walking distance from MGH (Mass General Hospital) which I was doing business with.
3. It was well priced, as they have special MGH rates.
Overall the hotel is just OK. The room is OK - not large but not very small. The bed is OK - not too comfy but not too bad either. Cleanliness is OK - not spotless clean, but not dirty, either. View - the gym across the street
The room contains a small kitchenette - totally unneeded for me. It also has a small fridge, which is always nice. It has a nice full HD TV - perfect for playing those movies off your laptop (if you bring the right cables).
The wifi worked OK - not very fast, not too sluggish.
The breakfast is complimentary and also OK. Some muffins, waffles, coffee, cereal - you really don't need more than that.
The fitness center is mediocre - a very small room with a not-really-working A/C, two treadmills, two bicycles, some dumbbells and a physio ball. You can pull off a workout, but that's pretty lame.
The staff is OK - not too friendly, but not obnoxious either.
The building is quite old, the elevator is lousy - gets stuck quite often.
The location was good for me, since it was close to my colleagues' office at the MGH. However, this street is somewhat shabby - there are always homeless people at the end of the street and a loud and sleazy bar nearby. Besides that the location is fine. A few nice pubs and sports bars in the parallel streets. There is a 7 eleven and a CVS nearby. It is also a decent location for Boston sightseeing, and right across from the TD garden if you are attending an event over there.
Overall it did the job for me, although I cannot say I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Tal K
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Doesn't look like much outside, but provided everything we needed.
Great location, clean with microwave, refridgerator and good breakfast.
Everything in the room worked and the bed was comfortable. Easy walking distance to Faneuil Hall and the North End area. The tour bus we chose had a stop virtually across the street.
The room was a tad crowded with the King size bed, but it was not a problem. I would recommend this as a good place for anyone on a sight-seeing visit to Boston.

Room Tip: get a room that doesn't face the health club across the street so you can leave blinds open
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terry S
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Made reservation via the official IHG website using Holiday Inn Rewards points. Wanted a room with two beds. That option was not presented. So I put a note and followed up with a phone call. Called again on the afternoon of arrival and requested that a room with two beds be kept aside for me as I was travelling with my daughter. Did not happen. We got a room (they call it suite) with one bed and one sofa bed. Could not sleep on the sofa bed as it was very saggy and ended up with a sore back. Slept the rest of the night on the floor.
Earlier could not find the remote control. Called front office and was assured that another one will be sent up. No one arrived for half an hour. Went down to get it myself. Was told they do not have a spare and that I should look for it under the bed or between the seats of the sofa. I told them that they should be doing that not me. Their come back was that if you don't want to look for it then use the controls on the TV. It was getting late at night so decided to go to bed instead. Left as soon as possible in the morning.
Tried to get a resolution thru their corporate customer relations department. They kept referring my complaint to hotel management suggesting that they will get back to me. After 4 attempts I did not hear back from hotel management so I gave up.
I am a Platinum Priority with Holiday Inn and this is the type of service I get. I am afraid to think what they do to average folks. Am seriously considering taking my business elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We were with a large group of 22 on on our way to my sons baseball tournament. There were 22 of us and we arrived at 7 am to check in, after taking a red eye from Califonia. Most of the people in our group were children. The staff welcomed us (Thank you Gio) allowed us to eat breakfast and crash in the lobby until our rooms were ready. They got all of us in quickly and when our suite wasn't ready they gave us two standard rooms so we would have plenty of room for our family to be comfortable, at no extra charge. The location was great, right across from the Garden home of the Bruins, and we were there when they won the Stanley cup. Even though the game was in Canada the area was packed with excitment. We were excited to be a part of it all and became Bruins fans!
The Boston police did an excellent job of keeping everything under control. The hotel did an excellent job of handling the extra traffic and chaos too. The manger, Jamie, was very nice and gave ice cream and candy treats to the kids. The area did not seem bad to me at all. There are a lot of pubs in the area, but there seem to be alot of pubs all over Boston. We were with in walking distance of many areas of attraction and we were able to purchase our tour bus tickets at the front desk and catch the bus across the street. The rooms were nothing fancy, but every one in our group agreed that this was a great experience and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank travelingfamily7
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This hotel is located close to the north end and all that is offered here...and that is quite a lot; little Italy, historical monuments and the Freedom Trail - well worth it.
Although the rooms are really quite spacious and if you use them as we did, you can overlook some things - the slightly dated decor, dirty looking carpets and a rough looking location.
As a value for money sleeping place it is ideal.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We chose this hotel because we needed a room in Boston that sleeps five and the choices were pretty limited. The room was big, but it was tired looking - carpet stained, scuff marks on the walls and doors. The location, close to the T, Boston Garden, North End, Quincy Market, was great. As a previous review mentioned, there are homeless in the area who ask for money and comment on everyone who walks by (a little creepy, for sure).

Breakfast was decent - eggs, sausage or bacon, biscuits, cereals, yogurt, milk, juices, coffee, bagels, muffins, toast, few pieces of fresh fruit. Even with five of us we only had one morning we couldn't find a seat in the breakfast area.

We didn't spend much time in the room other than sleeping, and if that's your plan, this could be a good choice hotel for you. Staff was friendly and accommodating. If they'd repaint it would go far to making the hotel look better. Elevator was a bit creeky, but it is an old building.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Walking distance to North End (little Italy), holocaust memorial, Beacon Hill. Room was fine for sleeping, no view but large windows and lots of light. Breakfast was a bust, warm milk, not much selection. It was hot, and all hotels were asked to conserve power.

• Stayed: July 2011