Mandarin Oriental, Boston
Copley Square Hotel(Boston)
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbar bouludboylston streetbay roomapple storefour seasonsroom servicehouse carluxury hotelsteam roomwalk in closetrain showerprudential mallin room diningperfect hotelconcierge desklocation is greatspa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We have a great home, and it is very rare we are as comfortable in a hotel as at home. This is the exception.
Everything was perfect. We were greeted by skilled valets who got us out of traffic and the car unpacked in a jiffy, with no worry over our car being carefully stored. The reception desk was well staffed and the upgrade tagged to our credit card was offered without prompting. They also kindly facilitated an early check in so we had time together settled before our meetings began.
The room was sparkling clean, and we are picky about cleanliness. Spacious and thoughtfully furnished -- plugs for charging phones and laptops at handy places, wonderful complimentary expresso machine with ample supply of a premium roast, a roomy safe that held two laptops, a spa like bathroom, a broad desk and a very comfortable bed, plus good sunlight. Location near convention center very convenient.
A welcome iced tea was refreshing, a personal escort to the room much appreciated.
Electronics were state of the art and easy to use. We especially appreciated the goodnight button that turned off all lights from the bedside.wireless access was very fast.
Everyone on the staff was customer focused, knowledgeable and pleasant. Room service was quick, piping hot and flavorfull. We regret there was no time to use the spa or exercise room, but heard from others these were world class.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are delightful.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SEWscout
MOBostonResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Mandarin Oriental, Boston is truly honored to be considered your heavenly home away from home. We are delighted that our colleagues were able to anticipate your needs upon arrival, and that you enjoyed the entire experience beginning with the quickness of the valet, to the personal guestroom escort and completing with the welcome iced tea beverage. We are thrilled you were delighted with our guestroom amenities, found the electronic control system easy to use, and the wireless internet fast and efficient. Mandarin Oriental, Boston looks forward to welcoming you back, the next time business travels bring you back to Boston.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I travel often for work and was tasked with securing an event location for a Board Meeting my company was hosting in January. I was referred to the Mandarin Oriental through a colleague and from my very first interaction on a site visit, I knew it was the perfect choice. The building itself is almost brand new so all of the rooms come with the best technologies and conveniences. The staff, from the front desk team to the catering and sales staff of Carol Romano and Eric Czerlonka, are the best I've worked with and they were very responsive and helpful. They ensured the meeting ran smoothly and no detail was left unchecked. The meals were terrific throughout the day and ranged from a light continental breakfast with an omelet station in the morning to a beautiful sit down lunch of fresh seafood. We also had snack stations throughout the day with fresh baked pastries, cookies, coffee, and fresh fruit.

All of the meeting rooms have floor to ceiling windows, which allowed for plenty of natural light. The audio/ visual group were terrific and stayed on site to make sure the logistics ran smoothly.

And last, but certainly not least, the hotel rooms are some of the nicest rooms you'll find when traveling. The rooms are very quiet, with comfortable beds and large, marble bathrooms. The location of the Mandarin is ideal along Boylston St. and walking distance to all of the shops and restaurants on Newbury St. and in the Back Bay.

In summary, our guests left the Mandarin extremely pleased with the accommodations and we have decided to return next year. I would highly encourage anyone to stay at the Mandarin when traveling to Boston and New England.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2014

My 4 night stay for the Boston Marathon 2014 was a gigantic and pricey comedy of errors.

The staff here is the weakest I've encountered at any Mandarin Oriental. The door men are surly and grumpy; the front desk personnel look good, but for the most part aren't efficient, effective or bright; the housekeeping staff are friendly, but a bit too friendly; the room service staff tries, but boy did they fail a couple of times.

What went wrong: #1 room service dinner - oversalted, overseasoned, and delivered with a human hair garnish; #2 room noise - staff were well aware I was there for the marathon and needed quiet. They put us in a room directly above the 24-hr gym. At 10pm one night, a guest went on the treadmill. The thumping sound of the treadmill came directly into our room through the vent above the bed. Not good. Treadmill workout went on until 10:45 pm. The front desk manager investigated and was most apologetic. He moved us to another room the next (sleepless) morning. #3 - the front desk (big mistake - should've called in through room service) mentioned that I could order an ice bath post marathon. I thought it was a fine idea and requested they do so for a 4:30 pm delivery. The ice arrived 4:30 AM MARATHON MORNING. Needless to say, I had hoped for as much sleep that morning pre-race. Getting a 4:30 am wake up knock for ice wasn't great. Plus, this is an example of staff training. The front desk person was lazy and just put in 4:30, which should've been confirmed. To a runner, that would be considered an unusual request to ice pre-race.

The room was not inexpensive per night. I stayed for 4 nights which isn't insignificant. I think they should've tried a bit harder to accommodate a guest who was staying for a longer stay. With each mishap, I didn't throw a fit, but politely explained each issue. For room service, they offered to send something to make up for it, which I didn't need, but they should've taken it upon themselves to comp a part of the meal. For the room placement above the gym, that was inexcusable especially since I was staying for 4 nights. That room had to be the least desirable room in the entire hotel. And lastly, the ice delivery at 4:30 am...I was beyond shocked and just chalked it up to major incompetence.

Room Tip: Avoid being above or anywhere near the gym!!!! I liked looking out over Boylston, but my husband found it noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
MOBostonResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear GoldenGooseLV,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us at Mandarin Oriental, Boston. We sincerely apologize that your marathon stay did not meet the standards that we endeavor to provide to each of our guests.

It is my understanding that our Hotel Manager has been in touch with you privately to discuss your experience. Mandarin Oriental, Boston does hope to welcome you back as our guest for next year’s marathon with the hopes of restoring your confidence in Mandarin Oriental, Boston.

Most sincerely,

Reviewed June 21, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a holiday to celebrate a special anniversary. We spent a long time selecting our hotel and were very pleased we chose the Mandarin Oriental. From our very first contact with the hotel until our departure, the service we received was excellent. Our room was faultless with none of the little annoying things found in so many other hotels. We really felt like valued guests rather than just a room number. If we had to find a negative point, and that is difficult, it would be that you have to pay extra for a Wifi connection. Other than that, this is a superb hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark H
MOBostonResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

On behalf of the entire team at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, we would like to wish both you and your wife a very happy anniversary! We are delighted that you chose Mandarin Oriental, Boston to celebrate such a special occasion and that our colleagues provided excellent service and made you feel like part of the MO family. We are honored that we were able to spend such a special MOment with you both.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Really, every attribute was excellent. Service, rooms, cleanliness, food, decor, etc., etc. Everything lives up to the highest expectations. I only wish I had been there for pleasure. I spent the entire time in a conference room. Highest possible recommendation. Except the light switch, which I couldn't figure out.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

On behalf of the entire team at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, thank you for your kind comments. We are thrilled that we were able to exceed your expectations during your business stay and are honored to receive your recommendation. Prior to your next arrival, we would be happy to make the appropriate adjustments to the lighting system in order to make your stay more accommodating. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.