Mandarin Oriental, Boston
$386
$356
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsbar bouludboylston streetbay roomapple storefour seasonsroom servicehouse carluxury hotelsteam roomwalk in closetrain showerprudential mallin room diningperfect hotelconcierge desklocation is greatspa
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My stay overall excellent, with just a few minor quibbles that leave this hotel just short of other MO and high end hotels I have stayed at. The hotel is centrally located on Boylston with high end shopping and lots of restaurants and bars nearby. It is attached to the Prudential Square mall with even more shopping and restaurants inside. Valet parking is $48/night. Check in was warm and friendly, and the welcome tea brought to your room was a delightful touch. The hotel was full during my stay, and there was always a line (although short) for the front desk staff who did seem harried. That being said, the staff were unfailingly polite and helpful. As others have noted, you need your room key to access your floor. Because the hotel was full, I was assigned a wheelchair accessible room which likely colored my view of the stay. The furniture in the room was a bit dented (likely due to wheelchairs), there were no pens in the room, and there were some minor issues with the shower. The bed was comfortable, the temperature of the room was good, and the room was quiet. Complementary water bottles in the room were also appreciated. The fitness center is relatively small, but extremely well equipped. I did not use the hotel wireless internet so cannot comment. Breakfast at Asiana was above average, but not worth it considering the price. This place is definitely a notch above most of the hotels in Boston with a great location. Once again, the stay was excellent, but just short of transcendent, which is what you expect from a Mandarin Oriental.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BTmaximus
MOBostonResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Thank you for your detailed review of our Mandarin Oriental, Boston property. We are delighted that you experienced a warm and friendly check-in and enjoyed the welcome tea. It sounds like you were also able to take advantage of our centralized Back Bay location. We do apologize that there were no pens in the room upon arrival and that there were issues with your shower. I can ensure you that these issues have indeed been looked into. We would like to thank you for all of your comments, they are much appreciated. On behalf of the entire team at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, your feedback will continue to help drive us to be our best.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I took my sister to the spa for her birthday. We couldn't have asked for better service or amenities. It was exactly the luxury we were looking for. My sister frequently visits massage therapists and said it was the best she had *ever* received. The service was very personalized. We enjoyed the spa options and the staff made it truly memorable by providing a little gift in honor of my sister's birthday. I highly recommend the spa!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

We are delighted that you experienced exceptional, personalized service during your birthday celebration at The Spa. We are glad it was exactly the luxury you were looking for. We are honored we could be part of your sisters birthday and are glad that it was a memorable experience that you both could share. We would love to have you back next year to celebrate!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The rooms at the Mandarin are an Oasis from the charming but noisy city of Boston.
Wonderful everything. The delightful staff, luxurious and spotless accommodations and great location can't be beat. Mandarin hotels are a perfect example of what other hotels should strive to be.

Room Tip: Lots of noise and construction outside but the windows provide an invisible shield to it. The higher the better.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

We are always delighted when we have exceeded our guest’s expectations and can be viewed as an oasis from the bustling city life of Boston. We are glad that you enjoyed our delightful colleagues, luxurious accommodations, convenient location and our soundproof windows. Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding and lots of nice little touches.

Check in was surprisingly rough. I had to fill out the billing address despite a reservation online. After all this the room wasn't ready and literally 2 minutes later they called me back again to let me the room was ready. I get back to the front desk and they don't remember who I am (the person who helped me is not there) and I have to give my story again before I finally get my room keys. They walk me to the elevator and show me how to use the room key in the elevator. They tell me that my luggage is in the room already. When I get up to the room, it's not but it followed about 10 minutes later.

Our room was comfortable and well furnished. The double bed is really closer to a twin bed than a queen. The bathroom had separate bathtub and shower stall.

Evening turndown service included milk and cookies, as well as water. Food and drink is big here, as they offered me something to eat and drink also while I was waiting for the room.

Internet access not included but a 24/7 well equipped fitness center was available. The hotel has direct access to the Prudential Center shopping mall. The ballroom, where they had the wedding, was very nice.

Bottom line, nice hotel but misses occasionally where most other hotels do well.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Mandarin Oriental, Boston is very happy that you had a delightful wedding experience in our ballroom and we are very honored that we could be part of such a special occasion. We do appreciate your feedback and apologize that your check-in experience and luggage delivery were not effortless. We are glad that you did enjoy the guestroom, the comfortable beds and our special milk and cookie turndown amenity. With your feedback, we will continue to focus our efforts on our attention to detail and better anticipating our guest’s needs. We do hope you do decide to visit with us again soon.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We recently spent 5 nights at the Mandarin Boston and believe it is the best in Boston. We have stayed at a number of Boston hotels over the years and we couldn't have been more pleased with the quality and comfort of the room and the level of service. We did not eat in its restaurants, so cannot rate them, but we used the gym several times and found it to be first rate.
It will clearly be our first choice for the future.

Room Tip: We had room 518, which was excellent.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Mandarin Oriental, Boston is pleased that you enjoyed our comfortable guestrooms, quality service, first rate fitness facilities and your overall experience. We are honored that you believe we are one of Boston’s best. The pleasure would be all ours to have you return for another great stay very soon and we thank you for your kind review.